Tomtom Go Camper Tour £162.49 Black Friday Deal (1 Viewer)

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I have been looking at this for my upcoming trip and it's a good price,but went to order it and there is no secure padlock sign anywhere on the screen so a bit wary about going ahead.i always see this sign online. The good price may draw you in is it dodgy .

don't know?

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
I have been looking at this for my upcoming trip and it's a good price,but went to order it and there is no secure padlock sign anywhere on the screen so a bit wary about going ahead.i always see this sign online. The good price may draw you in is it dodgy .

don't know?
Suggest buying by Paypal option so should be secure.

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Ta for replying,don't have a PayPal account 🙈. May need to set one up.
Cheers Cris 🍻

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Just pay with a proper credit card and you will be protected, the site is secure as its starting with HTTPS ie SSL (secure socks layer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just pay with a proper credit card and you will be protected, the site is secure as its starting with HTTPS ie SSL (secure socks layer)
Have seen this many times about this lock thing, what's to stop a scammer putting it on their post.
Serious question as I just don't know.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Have seen this many times about this lock thing, what's to stop a scammer putting it on their post.
Serious question as I just don't know.
The lock thing means that the site has registered a certificate against that domain name ie www.tomtom.com as they own it so this is a legit site but as with anything i would always use a credit card to purchase to ensure you are protected even more.

You can of course register a certificate against any domain you own but then the name changes which is where you would hopefully notice it.

if you click the details on the top bar within your browser you can see if the site is protected and to what level including the cert details.

Tomtoms is attached, it's the CN name that is important ie common name which relates to the URL

This is in very basic terms as there is of course a lot more to it, basically having a certificate on a site means that if you enter in things like payment information its secured by the certificate/encryption so is less likely to be sniffed by a man in the middle attack.
1700571775041.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I was looking at one of these but then realised you need to connect it to a smartphone, via Bluetooth, in order to get traffic information. Since I don't have, or want, a smartphone I'm going to stick with the TomTom I already have :)

Incidentally, the link above is safe but to enhance your protection you can use a credit card to make a purchase, which will mean you benefit from Section 75 reclaim protection.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
All their new devices are like this which is a real pain as it then costs you to get the info using your data as well as also have tor buy their subscription for traffic or speed camera's etc, win win for them.
I have an older Truck 6000 which has a built in sim with lifetime map but you still need to pay for the traffic but it comes via their sim, don't use it much now as i tend to use tablet with tomtom truck installed which again i pay for but it makes it easier when using apps like park4night and campercontact as when you find somewhere its just 1 click to load it directly into the app of choice rather than having to write in the gps.
Costly but a lot simpler

Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
I have the CAMPER.
I have been a big TomTom fan for years but the wife hates it. This due to its inability to keep us out of narrow single lane tracks in order to save what seems to be yards. I have tried all the options but it persists in taking us down narrow roads or tracks. In desperation I have told it we are 4 meters wide but nothing stops it. But here is the bug.. last week it was very content to lead us down a single lane farmers side road to a camp site in Devon. When we asked it to take us home "the return journey "it told us no suitable route was available, and it has done this a few time now.. god forbid you try the "go for a meander" option...

Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
I would like to know too before I buy this if anyone knows?
It looks to me they have jiggled with the names and bundles. I have a 7" camper, I think they have rebadged it as a 7" GO now as the camper is only 6" now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
I have the CAMPER.
I have been a big TomTom fan for years but the wife hates it. This due to its inability to keep us out of narrow single lane tracks in order to save what seems to be yards. I have tried all the options but it persists in taking us down narrow roads or tracks. In desperation I have told it we are 4 meters wide but nothing stops it. But here is the bug.. last week it was very content to lead us down a single lane farmers side road to a camp site in Devon. When we asked it to take us home "the return journey "it told us no suitable route was available, and it has done this a few time now.. god forbid you try the "go for a meander" option

Well I think most twatnavs send you down unsuitable roads occasionally what ever the make.
Thank you for your info (y)

Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
I neglected to mention in it's defence, it is big and clear and the speaker is powerful and very capable of making itself heard. And the magmount allows you to pull the unit off its stand and sit in the lounge while supping a coffee and plan the next bit of the journey. I do like that.

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
I have an older Truck 6000 which has a built in sim with lifetime map but you still need to pay for the traffic but it comes via their sim, don't use it much now as i tend to use tablet with tomtom truck installed which again i pay for but it makes it easier when using apps like park4night and campercontact as when you find somewhere its just 1 click to load it directly into the app of choice rather than having to write in the gps.
Costly but a lot simpler
Just done the same. Sold my old Trucker 6000 and bought a Lenovo 8" tablet and put the App on it. Never found the road widths reliable anyway.

Reactions: zac
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I have the CAMPER.
I have been a big TomTom fan for years but the wife hates it. This due to its inability to keep us out of narrow single lane tracks in order to save what seems to be yards. I have tried all the options but it persists in taking us down narrow roads or tracks. In desperation I have told it we are 4 meters wide but nothing stops it. But here is the bug.. last week it was very content to lead us down a single lane farmers side road to a camp site in Devon. When we asked it to take us home "the return journey "it told us no suitable route was available, and it has done this a few time now.. god forbid you try the "go for a meander" option...
That was my finding with the Aguri 720 camper and all other sat nags I've had. Sending you down narrow lanes as you get closer or if you deliberately avoid a turning because it's too narrow. You just have to be aware of the tendency and work around it .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back