Tolls in France - how much??? :( (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 24, 2018
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 630
Exp
Seasoned (ish)
Just had our bill for Calais to Samoëns, A26-A39-A40 Class 2, £115! Wasn't expecting that.

This was our first trip down in the MH through France to the ski slopes but having put the route in ViaMichelin and had an estimate of 68 euros, it came as a bit of a shock!

Have I gone wrong with my route or am I just being naive?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
France has some of the most expensive road tolls in Europe. There are always non-toll or low toll alternatives but they tend to take longer. I suspect the 68 Euros was for a Class 1 vehicle, i.e. a car less than 2m high.

OP
OP
Chris-n-Leeka
Oct 24, 2018
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 630
Exp
Seasoned (ish)
France has some of the most expensive road tolls in Europe. There are always non-toll or low toll alternatives but they tend to take longer. I suspect the 68 Euros was for a Class 1 vehicle, i.e. a car less than 2m high.

Ah, it was..... I'll change it to Class 2, thanks Peter

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just had our bill for Calais to Samoëns, A26-A39-A40 Class 2, £115! Wasn't expecting that.

This was our first trip down in the MH through France to the ski slopes but having put the route in ViaMichelin and had an estimate of 68 euros, it came as a bit of a shock!

Have I gone wrong with my route or am I just being naive?
Is that one way or return?. I still think its cheaper to book a package we had a week in a chalet in Val disere for £450 each half board including wine and afternoon tea and cake. I recon with diesel the tunnel tolls aires food drink etc we couldn't have done it for much less and wouldn't have had a heated boot room all the cooking cleaning etc done for us. But each to their own

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I’ve almost stopped using them now. I drive mostly non toll routes.

We are officially class III Having gone down from Class IV. I can cheat and pay class II. But it’s a risk !

Sadly, we avoid France too.

There are plenty of toll free roads through Benelux, Germany and even Austria to Ski Redorts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Chris-n-Leeka
Oct 24, 2018
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 630
Exp
Seasoned (ish)
Is that one way or return?. I still think its cheaper to book a package we had a week in a chalet in Val disere for £450 each half board including wine and afternoon tea and cake. I recon with diesel the tunnel tolls aires food drink etc we couldn't have done it for much less and wouldn't have had a heated boot room all the cooking cleaning etc done for us. But each to their own
This is one way.

We are here for a month so staying in hotel was a non-starter, but on the plus side, Le Giffre does have its own heated boot room! :)

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
It's much nicer to use the tolls in France than drive the non-toll roads, all the slowing down for roundabouts causes my MPG to be 15% worse the wear and tear on brakes tyres and relationships. Not to mention the constant speed camera threat.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
It's much nicer to use the tolls in France than drive the non-toll roads, all the slowing down for roundabouts causes my MPG to be 15% worse the wear and tear on brakes tyres and relationships. Not to mention the constant speed camera threat.
We paid €174 from Belgium to Spain, money well spent imo as mpg was much better and less wear and tear on both the moho and me ?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
This is one way.

We are here for a month so staying in hotel was a non-starter, but on the plus side, Le Giffre does have its own heated boot room! :)
For a month it would be a different matter. Hope your knees are up to it and the resort stays open!

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Can someone tell me how I can look at what we have used on tools in France please ( just cannot remember how to )

If you go on viamichelin.co.uk and, using the route planner put in your proposed journey.

Here's the trick for finding out the Toll charges for a motorhome. In the 'Options' tick the box for a caravan and in that part regarding the vehicle, tick for a 'Luxury' vehicle using diesel.

In addition to getting the right tolls, it will give you a result close enough to fuel consumption as well. (y)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Mant French motorways now have a load of roadworks and are expensive. I tend to avoid France now anyway sad to say as I like the scenery.
Problem with that is if you are driving you need to concentrate on the road for roundabouts, speed bumps and cameras, no time for scenery gazing??

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
And they could pick up some cheap wine on the way.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
On the way back from Honfleur to Calais a couple of weeks ago, it was snowing heavily and as we had a ferry to catch we decided to use the toll roads as there were plenty of snowploughs keeping the road clear.

Anyway we’re Class 2 for Tolls, but randomly one of the toll booths classified us as a Class 4, so the toll came up as something like 26 Euros, where for Class 2 it should have been around 12 Euros. Fortunately we spotted it and pressed the Assistance button and miraculously it was instantly changed on the screen to the correct Toll.

It was a lesson learnt for us as it was only by luck that we noticed the error, it’s easy just to get into the routine of inserting the card without really concentrating on whether the Toll is correct.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Lots of old and new style speed cameras on motorways as well as speed checks approaching and leaving toll booths.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Remember there is no road tax here so tolls instead . There is always an alternative route which is free and if there isn’t then that part of the péage is free . Remember the A20 is free

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back