To ceramic or not,that is the question (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 31, 2023
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Caracompac
Exp
Since 2004
We take delivery of our new Weinsberg 650 MEG next month and are pondering whether we should have it ceramicaly coated.
The benefits are well documented but is it worth the expense?

If so, how much have other Funsters paid and are there any recommendations for companies in the Gloucestershire/Bristol area?

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
There‘s a few threads on here and few companies used by Funsters. Prices seems to vary a bit but happy i did mine last year myself, makes cleaning it after a trip so much easier.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
Recently bought a second-hand Skoda Octavia and had it done by the dealer

the finish is amazing, when you wash the dirt just runs off and it feels like polished glass .

. .. long term , need to wait and see if it was worth the extra

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
I have a new m/h as was going to ceramic coat it but faced with a long wait , I tried this on my car 1st. Not quite the same as it needs recoating more often but I was well impressed and now use this on all my vehicles.A bit more effort but not that much. I do think there is a bit of Emporer's new clothes about ceramic coating.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I was suspicious and thought the whole ceramic thing was a bit of a marketing BS thingy. So I bought some Meguiar's wax and some of their hybrid ceramic wax.
I was expecting it to be pretty much identical or if not barely any difference. Tested it on a small area on the back of a caravan parked under some trees that pigeons, algae and moss loved.
There was a noticeable difference. The difference was noticable even on a bit that I didn't do any preparation on.

So my view is, that yes it is effective, but only you can judge the value. For me I don't buy new vehicles anymore so I will continue to just use the relatively cheap hybrid ceramic wax.

Jan 14, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
Had it applied to our new van last May and have to say it had been worth it so far. Van is very easy to clean and stays clean for much longer than I've experienced with previous new vans that didn't have it applied.

TC3

Jul 23, 2023
Funster No
MH
Carado CV540 Pro
Getting it applied by Paintseal Direct before we pick up our new van. They also do a stain resistant coating on all the seats. Not cheap but 5 year warranty and as the van is something we plan to keep a good while we think its worth it.

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Just a note to think about before you do it , I have just renewed my insurance with Comfort on the phone and she was going through the questions and asked was it ceramic coated as that will increase my premium think she said about £50 ish maybe more so think hard.

TC3

Jul 23, 2023
Funster No
MH
Carado CV540 Pro
Just a note to think about before you do it , I have just renewed my insurance with Comfort on the phone and she was going through the questions and asked was it ceramic coated as that will increase my premium think she said about £50 ish maybe more so think hard.
Cheers for heads up. We are going with Comfort but yet to buy the policy. If the difference is 50 quid that will be fine but it could be more or less, will see 😀

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
Can I resurrect this thread?

Has anyone had a DiamondBrite coating applied professionally? Was it worth it, are you pleased, has it prevented stone chips on paintwork?
Thanks.

D'uh??? How does protecting your vehicle's paintwork and keeping it nice and shiny justify increasing a premium? 😲😲😲

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
You have to wash it anyway so why not try Autoglym. First Polar Wash which gets it really clean, then Polar Seal which gives a finish that lasts for about six weeks in my experience, dirt and debris doesn't stick and water just runs straight off so it is rather like a ceramic coating I suppose.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

Has anyone had a DiamondBrite coating applied professionally? Was it worth it, are you pleased, has it prevented stone chips on paintwork?
Thanks.

D'uh??? How does protecting your vehicle's paintwork and keeping it nice and shiny justify increasing a premium? 😲😲😲
I can't believe any coating is likely to stop paint chipping the physics of such a thin flexible ( or it would crack) coating seem to make it impossible.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
My van did have a paintseal ceramic coating on it by the previous owner when new and I’m 100% certain it has helped it keep its shine and clean looks, it’s 8 years old now still looks good and I’m thinking of having it re done👍

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
A splash of tfr and car shampoo easy. Really good hose off and polish twice a year. Costs about £10 a year.
I was once told by a valeter/detailer that TFR should be kept around 5 miles from any paintwork that you value🤷‍♂️👍

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp

Thanks.

Could be argued makes any paint repairs more time consuming as every speck has to be removed ??

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Could be argued makes any paint repairs more time consuming as every speck has to be removed ??
We had the Williams ceramic coating on one of our cars. It's had two lots of scrapes fixed since with no apparent problem but it's pretty much impossible to spot any difference between the treated parts and untreated. As I say the emperor's clothes!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
The paintshop if one is needed have a hell of a job getting it ready to paint because of the coating.

TC3

Jul 23, 2023
Funster No
MH
Carado CV540 Pro
Have had our new van since April which as said earlier I had Ceramic Coated. It was only washed once by me before a trip to the Netherlands 6 weeks ago. It rained a lot out there and we parked up in fields that had got pretty muddy but the dirt does not stick well to the coating and rain once again washed it off each time. Today getting ready for a weekend away and thought I would wash the van, no need just a wipe of the windows and a soft microfibre cloth to remove a few squashed flies just using water and it looks as new again. We worth the cost in my opinion, to me anyway. Insurance wanted an extra 50 quid due to the coating which is no big deal.

Oct 22, 2023
West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail F60
Exp
Newbies as of June 2024

Thanks.

We had Diamondbrite applied to our new van whilst it was at the dealers. We had the seats & carpets done too. We weren't impressed that there was a squirt of it on our glass sink top that was stuck like sh*t to a blanket. The dealer said to just use some kitchen cleaner on it.(shouldn't your valeters have removed it prior to pick up 🤔). Then on closer inspection it was all over the headlights too. I rang Diamondbrite & was told to use their glass cleaner or other alcohol based product on it.

I can't comment on the stone chip protection. But after driving in the pouring rain this week, the wheel arches are filthy, so we'll see how hard it is to wash off & clean up.

Shoddy workmanship in our opinion, I would expect more care on a brand new van, or any vehicle for that matter. Who knows if the whole vehicle was really even done 🤷‍♀️

Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Most of my life in one form or another
A splash of tfr and car shampoo easy. Really good hose off and polish twice a year. Costs about £10 a year.
Some plank at a triumph deeler thought it a good idea to wash my bike using Trf. It ruined most nuts and bolts as it removed the protective coating on them .
Evil stuff

Oct 22, 2023
West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail F60
Exp
Newbies as of June 2024
We had Diamondbrite applied to our new van whilst it was at the dealers. We had the seats & carpets done too. We weren't impressed that there was a squirt of it on our glass sink top that was stuck like sh*t to a blanket. The dealer said to just use some kitchen cleaner on it.(shouldn't your valeters have removed it prior to pick up 🤔). Then on closer inspection it was all over the headlights too. I rang Diamondbrite & was told to use their glass cleaner or other alcohol based product on it.

I can't comment on the stone chip protection. But after driving in the pouring rain this week, the wheel arches are filthy, so we'll see how hard it is to wash off & clean up.

Shoddy workmanship in our opinion, I would expect more care on a brand new van, or any vehicle for that matter. Who knows if the whole vehicle was really even done 🤷‍♀️
We washed the MH at the weekend. The road dirt around the wheelarches needed the same amount of elbow grease to remove as it would've if if hadn't been coated. There were back streaks coming from the roof, their shampoo didn't touch them. I had to use a specific black-streak remover on them.

After reading the 1* reviews today (wish I'd read those earlier) it seems we're not alone. If I'd known that the dealers apply it and not Diamondbrite staff, we would've gone elsewhere. I'm expecting a response to my review, as it looks like they do reply.

May 29, 2021
Kotka, Finland
Funster No
MH
Hymer Van
I've never had anything and I haven't even washed my cars every year, but for the new Van I wanted something for it to MAYBE look decent with minimum effort. Got something, dunno if it's ceramic or what it is but it seems to wash itself now. A day and ~100 kilometers drive in the rain between these photos, nothing done to it. It's in by no means showroom clean now, but the level of 'auto clean' is exactly what I wanted.

1721728671630.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back