Thunderstorm damage to electrics (9 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 25, 2017
Sandy, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2016

RULE NUMBER ONE: NEVER GO NEAR ANYTHING ELECTRICAL OR TOUCH ANY WIRING ETC. DURING A THUNDERSTORM​

I hope the following advice, which if you take it, is at your own risk, will be helpful to our members.
A while ago, my motorhome's 230-volt electrics died a sudden death after a massive thunderstorm.

I discovered the main circuit breaker in the Sargent EC500 unit (the electronic "fuse box") had tripped. Also, the main circuit breaker on my mains inverter had tripped, however, thankfully, the circuit breaker on the EHU (Electric-Hook-Up) post outside in the torrential rain hadn't tripped.

I reset both my circuit breakers but the 230 volt system was still dead as a dodo. I eventually fixed it by turning off (re-booting) everything that is powered by 230 volts OR 12 volts, which included
  • the fridge
  • the wifi router
  • the TVs
  • the Sargent EC500 main control unit ("electronic fuse box")
  • the 230-volt mains inverter
  • the main power switch to the 12-volt lithium-ion leisure batteries
and waited at least 10 seconds before turning everything back on again. Miraculously, everything started working.

My best preventative thunderstorm and lightning advice includes, if possible:
  • unplugging any aerials from TVs or wireless routers
  • and lowering satellite dishes
Do this well before lightning gets dangerously close (say, at least five miles), as you run the risk of getting electrocuted while touching/disconnecting the plugs/wires.

In addition to the above:
  • turn off everything electrical well before lightning strikes, at least five miles from your motorhome
otherwise, your expensive electrical equipment could be ruined by the lightning's EMP (Electro Magnetic Pulse).
You would also be wise to turn off all mobile devices, even if they aren't plugged in, such as:
  • laptops
  • phones
  • tablets
  • e-book readers
  • smartwatches
until the thunderstorm passes.
Stay safe and Carry On Camping

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!