Thule Omnistor awning not closing properly

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
When I wind my Thule Omnistor awning back in, the top lip of the case is stopping the awning fully closing (see pictures). I have to physically clip it back into place. Does anyone know how to adjust the awning to cure is this problem?

PXL_20241004_132441667.jpgPXL_20241004_141027207.jpg

OP
OP
Guzziando
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Not sure if this would help but you can adjust the pitch of the awning when it is opened. However I don't think this would affect the angle of the lip when closed.

Here's the pitch instructions anyway, it involves adding/removing spacers.

Thank you, my awning does not have any pitch control screws, and I need to close the door when I put the awning out, otherwise it catches it. The awning does drop down a lot when wound out, so I wonder if this would help?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Try winding it out fully. Spray some lubricant- preferably silicone but if you’ve only got wd40 it’ll do for quick fix then wind in. I had same a couple of years back whilst away. I think whilst it’s out, wind blows dust and debris in and causes issues when you come to wind in and close the cassette box.
If it continues it could be a worn cog on cassette mechanism. Try Rose Awnings for advice and spares/repairs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Consort PVC
Thank you, my awning does not have any pitch control screws, and I need to close the door when I put the awning out, otherwise it catches it. The awning does drop down a lot when wound out, so I wonder if this would help?
What model of Omnistor is it ?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Consort PVC
It is a 6300 4m long.
In which case, the pitch control is available. You just need the screws/washers. I did read of someone who got in touch with Thule and they sent some out free of charge.
I helped fit a 6300 4m to a mate's van, we had to put the pitch control on maximum to stop the awning hitting the sliding door if it was open. Sounds similar to your experience...

OP
OP
Guzziando
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
In which case, the pitch control is available. You just need the screws/washers. I did read of someone who got in touch with Thule and they sent some out free of charge.
I helped fit a 6300 4m to a mate's van, we had to put the pitch control on maximum to stop the awning hitting the sliding door if it was open. Sounds similar to your experience...
They appear to be M 8 Allen Screws and washers, does anyone know how long they are?

1728059276204.png

OP
OP
Guzziando
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Try winding it out fully. Spray some lubricant- preferably silicone but if you’ve only got wd40 it’ll do for quick fix then wind in. I had same a couple of years back whilst away. I think whilst it’s out, wind blows dust and debris in and causes issues when you come to wind in and close the cassette box.
If it continues it could be a worn cog on cassette mechanism. Try Rose Awnings for advice and spares/repairs.
Thanks, I will give that a go. The winding mechanism feels to be in good working order, as there is no play, and does in wind in and out without a problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
I've had this issue three times with Thule awnings, and dealers not knowing (and they should know) about pitch control. It should be something done by the dealer before sale, or at the very least explained to the customer. Without the pitch control spacers/bolt, the awning will flop down.

If you have been given a bag of documents/manuals by the dealer, the spacers could be there, otherwise you will get them from Thule.

It literally takes 2 minutes each side to fit them, but follow the instructions carefully - particularly about having the awning fully extended and completely horizontal from the casing.

Best option is the highest, that's 2 (out of the 4) spacers each side, with the bolt.

Easy-peasy. 👍

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Consort PVC
I guess the dealers (or whoever fits the awning) just bins the supplied pitch kit. Or resells as an accessory :rolleyes:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
I guess the dealers (or whoever fits the awning) just bins the supplied pitch kit. Or resells as an accessory :rolleyes:

TBH, the ignorance of a lot of motorhome sales personnel is astounding. Over the years I have found myself teaching them.

The old school salesman has gone (*), these days they just want the quickest route to your money.

(*) one exception IMHO, Moran Motorhomes at Ludlow.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back