Thule awning problem. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 27, 2024
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Expedition
Hi, Just joined motorhome fun and have had a problem with our Thule awning. After waiting nearly two years for our Autotrail Expedition 68 we took ownership last September. Not having had the opportunity to use the awning very often we opened it for the sixth time last week whilst camping in France. Properly secured and open for the second night it rained a lot so we had it slightly angled to one side for run off of water. During the night there was a loud thump on the camper side and going out to investigate we found the awning collapsed and one leg snapped off at the top. Where the awning arm should be fixed at the top to the rail on the van it had come away because the metal bracket it should be attached to had broken, (looks like metal fatigue to me). There was no wind or adverse circumstances just rain so no outside influence to cause this. Contacted the dealers and sent pictures and they spoke to Thule and was told from seeing the pictures that the guarantee does not cover this !!
Still pursuing it at the moment but has anyone else experienced this problem ? Pictures attached.
Thanks

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
That looks like a lot of damage, for two separate components to break would suggest mechanical failure not fatigue

How did you tie it down ? Thule have specific straps with fittings into the top of the legs

Have you strapped it down over the canvas or the arms?

Hope it doesn’t spoil your trip , I don’t think it will cost much to repair so probably not worth falling out with anybody 👍

Good luck getting it fixed , try Rose Awnigs in Poole , John and Dan Rose really know all there is to know about these awnings

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I would suspect weight created the issue. I would put money on your fabric filled with water creating weight and then failure of components. Same happened to us many years ago in Spain. We never leave our awning out now for that very issue. Being honest I’m not sure why we have one. It is either too windy, too wet or sun is too low for it to provide shade. The good news is all parts are replaceable and easy to obtain.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Having seen one wrap itself over the roof of one van causing further damage to the van, and another where it had caught a downpour and the centre of the bulge was almost on the floor, I always wind ours in at night or when away from the van. If you release the storm straps and turn the peg heads at the feet through 90 degrees, it' easy to reinstate to the same position.

The hinge bit is only cast alloy which is not renowned for metallurgy toughness.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Hope it doesn’t spoil your trip , I don’t think it will cost much to repair so probably not worth falling out with anybody 👍

Been there, done that. It requires a new arm so around £300 from memory. (300 per arm. - not sure If the OP has broken one or two??) If you are not able to fix it yourself (it's not easy and requires 2 people, ladders and removing a lot of parts) ) then it'll cost at least another £100 or so for labour.

So not as expensive as a new awning but not cheap!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back