Think i got a speeding fine in france.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg carabus
Exp
Since 2021
Hi Guys a bit of advice please. I was driving from Dunkirk towards Normandy, coming off the mortorway I saw a flash. I asume it was a speed camera. Dont think i was much over the limit but obviously enough to trigger the camera. What happens next? Will it be sent to my home in N Iteland? Can I go online to gind out. I am worried as i wont be home for 5 weeks. Would appreciate your help

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Don't worry about it. Motorhomes get lots of flashes as they see you as a lorry which has a lower speed restriction. Once they check the camera and see its a motorhome they dismiss it.
If you were genuinely over the limit then it may not be cost effective for them to find who you are . I dont think there is any mutual exchange of addresses between the dvla and thier French equivalents now that we have parted company.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Yes I've been flashed a couple of times, never heard anything 👍

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have too. Never received any letter.

OP
OP
Wjklewis
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg carabus
Exp
Since 2021
Thanks guys, thats reasuring. Sometimrs the limit changes quickly and you can get caught out. I really dont go fast, thats the whole point is it not

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
It may be different with France but I got a speeding fine from Spain. It was a fixed camera. It was the arrival day in Spain, my carelessness. We were in Spain for 7 weeks and the fine didn’t arrive until 2 weeks after we got home at least. It was very fancy, more like an award, embossed and everything! Very good instructions on how to pay online as well. Only €44 if I remember correctly. That was this year, there may be a scale of course but I was about 10% over. Can’t remember now if it was in a 50 or 80 zone.

Hopefully even if you have got one the wheels will run slowly and you’ll be home in plenty of time. Even better will be that you haven’t got one at all of course!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
I raced through France once at very high speeds in a car.

I got flashed loads but never heard anything.

The French are too useless.
I got flashed in a French registered car, came back to uk not knowing, several months later the fine had been taken from my bank account. Useless at some things but ruthlessly efficient in others!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Wouldn't be too sure. Have been flashed and not heard anything. But a couple of years ago got a fine through the post! Our neighbours kindly check our post and send us photos of anything that looks important .

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 1998
Hi Guys a bit of advice please. I was driving from Dunkirk towards Normandy, coming off the mortorway I saw a flash. I asume it was a speed camera. Dont think i was much over the limit but obviously enough to trigger the camera. What happens next? Will it be sent to my home in N Iteland? Can I go online to gind out. I am worried as i wont be home for 5 weeks. Would appreciate your help
Shouldn't worry too much, I set off a camera 8 weeks ago at the start of the holiday. Have been back home nearly 2 weeks and have heard nothing. As other Funsters say, probably mistaken for a lorry.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML-t 580 4x4
Exp
Getting there!
I've had a few over the years - under 20 km/hr over the limit the fine was €45 if paid within 14 days. They send a notice and you pay online.

I've not had one since leaving the EU but I don't think I've been flashed in the last few years.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I got flashed in a French registered car, came back to uk not knowing, several months later the fine had been taken from my bank account. Useless at some things but ruthlessly efficient in others!
How did they have your bank details?
You must have told them.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Benivan
Bit like every nation?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato pvc self
Exp
Since 2017
It may be different with France but I got a speeding fine from Spain. It was a fixed camera. It was the arrival day in Spain, my carelessness. We were in Spain for 7 weeks and the fine didn’t arrive until 2 weeks after we got home at least. It was very fancy, more like an award, embossed and everything! Very good instructions on how to pay online as well. Only €44 if I remember correctly. That was this year, there may be a scale of course but I was about 10% over. Can’t remember now if it was in a 50 or 80 zone.

Hopefully even if you have got one the wheels will run slowly and you’ll be home in plenty of time. Even better will be that you haven’t got one at all of course!
As part of the deal to grant UK ex pats an exchange Spanish license the UK government agreed to give Spain access to the DVLA.
Don't think France has the facility since b****t.

Likes collected
Funster No
We were flashed a few times a few weeks back. I am sure we were under the speed limit, so have worked on the basis it thought we were a lorry because we are 3 metres high. Hopefully these things get weeded out.

Likes collected
Funster No
If you get a French speeding fine and have someone to check your mail hear is the link to either pay or appeal it. We had one before Brexit just as we entered France for an extended trip, when I got home the fine had gone up I appealed stating I was unaware of it and could I pay the original fine never heard back.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
I raced through France once at very high speeds in a car.

I got flashed loads but never heard anything.

The French are too useless.
Shame on you.

Graydo

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
I don't object to being flashed, all the time she looks good 😀

Ok, sorry, I'm on my way. Bye.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
I've had a few over the years - under 20 km/hr over the limit the fine was €45 if paid within 14 days. They send a notice and you pay online.

I've not had one since leaving the EU but I don't think I've been flashed in the last few years.
I got caught recently near Béziers in roadworks, clocked at 56 in a 50 -10% speedo error 51km/h
Fine 135€
If you pay in 14 days 90€
If you don't contest or pay within 45 days 375€
Becouse it was under 5km/h from the speed limit I didn't lose any points, ( it works in reverse here you start with 12 points) , over that I would have lost 1 point for 6 months I think unless you get a second infraction during that time then it is a year, but I might be wrong about that bit.
Of course I live here, so it might be different for visitors.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
Got flashed near Verdun in June (in the MH), arrived home 4 weeks later and the letter was there already....45€ ..... I do live in Germany so maybe thats faster than to non EU countries 🤔

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Useless at some most things but ruthlessly efficient in others!
Sounds a bit like Wales. Last Sunday my friend arrived in Swansea, stayed overnight and drove to Oxford on Monday arriving back home in Glasgow on Friday. He told me that there was a fixed penalty notice awaiting him when he got home, 35mph in a 30mph zone in Swansea. :whistle2:
I told him that he was lucky that it wasn't 2 months earlier as he would have doing 35 in a 20mph zone!
With consequences to match. :whistle2:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
Got flashed near Verdun in June (in the MH), arrived home 4 weeks later and the letter was there already....45€ ..... I do live in Germany so maybe thats faster than to non EU countries 🤔
That sounds cheap, maybe they work on the principle that if they send a fine for a reasonable amount to overseas offenders, there is more chance that people will pay up, without them having to either spend loads trying to recover a fine, or not bother chasing it up at all and not getting any revenue.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
Quite frankly don’t worry about it, if you do get a fine though the post, throw it in the bin, they have no system for collecting foreign fines. They can’t take you to court in the UK. They have no way of tracking your vehicle if you enter France again. The police don’t carry a list of vehicle registration numbers to collect fines.. I regularly drive my car around France, Spain, Holland and Belgium. I am forever exceeding the speed limits it’s quite hard to stick to Kph when you are used to mph. During Mrs Mays premiership she signed an accord allowing Eurozone’s to access the DVLA. But this ended when Boris left the EU. You just have to make sure the police are not following you or using speed cameras on you, because they can stop and fine you on the spot, otherwise, don’t worry.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
That sounds cheap, maybe they work on the principle that if they send a fine for a reasonable amount to overseas offenders, there is more chance that people will pay up, without them having to either spend loads trying to recover a fine, or not bother chasing it up at all and not getting any revenue.
It was a 3 tier offer, 45,90 or 120€ depending on the speed you were over the limit....lots of beurocracy, 3 x A4 sheets with all the options to pay/decline/object and all in French....in Germany its 1 xA4 sheet with photo and payment info ..
MH is registered in herselfs name anyway, so not a problem 👌

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back