Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
I am inclined to agree.

In French, 'Blood' is masculine, and the fact that it was a female that was cut, does not have any effect upon the gender of the blood - Le sang.

Could it not be that simple ?

Meanwhile: La plume de ma tante est dans le bureau de mon oncle - or maybe 'Le stylo' would be more up to date ?

Big fail in French GCE back in '59 - Speaking French with a Scouse accent was not easy. :LOL:
Coincidentally we’re in France at the moment, on Ile de Re.
I asked the barman to translate and I’m a little worried about why your Aunt’s penis is in your Uncle’s desk?! Is this some kind of trans-LGBTQ-wardrobe (I identify as a wardrobe) thing or have I been misinformed by my bar steward?

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
With gender, I get very confused!

Why are fish le poisson masculine yet a certain type of fish (we have already established masculinity for fish in the French language) for example, la carpe, why is that feminine? 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: DBK
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.

Why are fish le poisson masculine yet a certain type of fish (we have already established masculinity for fish in the French language) for example, la carpe, why is that feminine? 🤷‍♂️
75% of French words ending with an 'e' are feminine. They just are.

1718612463993.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
And if you think French is bad, German is even worse. They add another gender, neuter, but then they just don’t just use it for inanimate objects but mix all the three genders up anyway. So “girl” is neuter, and “table” is feminine. it’s madness, I tell you. We should all be like the Finns, no gender at all.

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
The standout French phrase I learned from Duolingo was "There's a cow in my living room", which I've found very useful on many occasions. Sadly, the responses have been mixed.
We've got a static van on a site in France. One of the English phrases many of the French owners were taught was 'Brian is in the kitchen'.
They've recently employed a (French) lad called Brian as part time chef. I've lost track of the number of times I've been told where he is. Usual response is 'Oui, mais ou est Toto?'

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
When we first bought a place in France we worried about the language as very few people in our rural area spoke English. Would we get the right gender, the correct tense etc.

After a few days I confided this to a neighbour who said “your French is better than our English, we have none”. He then went on to say don’t worry about such things we will understand you. If you wish we can correct you. Just talk, that is the best way to learn.

We never became totally fluent but managed to get by in a non-English speaking area for 16 years.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
And if you think French is bad, German is even worse. They add another gender, neuter, but then they just don’t just use it for inanimate objects but mix all the three genders up anyway. So “girl” is neuter, and “table” is feminine. it’s madness, I tell you. We should all be like the Finns, no gender at all.
And not to forget that adjectival endings in German vary according to both gender an case! 😀

May 13, 2024
Lancshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Axess
Exp
Caravan since 1983 - Motorhome since 1997
Coincidentally we’re in France at the moment, on Ile de Re.
I asked the barman to translate and I’m a little worried about why your Aunt’s penis is in your Uncle’s desk?! Is this some kind of trans-LGBTQ-wardrobe (I identify as a wardrobe) thing or have I been misinformed by my bar steward?
Always remember: "The Penis Mightier Than The Sword".

:giggle:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
We do have neuter but only with "pronoms personnels" je, tu il, elle, nous, vous, ils, elles ....... AND ... "ON"
On mange quand? J'ai faim!
Où allez-vous? On va en ville

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp

Ok let's play then ! Why on earth English language which doesn't do feminine and masculine says SHE for a ship (a thing!) and Mister Fly for a fly? Why fruit are sold singular , while if I don't mistake you are perfectly allowed to say I've bought bananas , and cherries? I know there are quite a few other similar silly billy things but I can't recall them right now.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Nevertheless, my “northern” accent (in French pronunciation), led many of our French neighbours to think I was German, initially.
:rofl:
My French master for 4 years at grammar school was a Yorkshireman. It took me three years working in Paris to get rid of the accent.

Aug 18, 2017
SK10
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Funny, isn’t it? The way I learnt French was all about the written word, so the agreement of past participles and all that stuff comes as second nature to me. In fact, I reckon I can give a native speaker a god run for their money when it comes to getting grammar correct. But can I speak the language well 45 years after my formal studying finished? Pas du tout, mon brave.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
I could give you some past participles to think about, but the problem is that I'll never be sure you didn't look up on the internet to get the right answer. As teachers all of us 3 (my mum, my sister and I) we've had quite a few battles with grammar books and dictionnaries at reach of course. It's very difficicult to find the right answer at times AND explain the "why this and not that"!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I am a Cumbrian by birth, although I left there over 50 years ago.

Nevertheless, my “northern” accent (in French pronunciation), led many of our French neighbours to think I was German, initially.
Same here, I'd rather be considered Belgian as they produce chocolate! 😄

Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
I took am working on my French through Duolingo and I often get the grammar side incorrect but my spoken and listening is fine!
I am not too troubled by this because they often sound the same when spoken! 😜🤣
I love France and one day would like to move there. 💕🇨🇵💕

Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
When we first bought a place in France we worried about the language as very few people in our rural area spoke English. Would we get the right gender, the correct tense etc.

After a few days I confided this to a neighbour who said “your French is better than our English, we have none”. He then went on to say don’t worry about such things we will understand you. If you wish we can correct you. Just talk, that is the best way to learn.

We never became totally fluent but managed to get by in a non-English speaking area for 16 years.
My friend in Chenas says exactly the same. I always try to join in with conversations or sit and listen to pick up new phrases.
I also get them to correct me...all helps.

Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
I could give you some past participles to think about, but the problem is that I'll never be sure you didn't look up on the internet to get the right answer. As teachers all of us 3 (my mum, my sister and I) we've had quite a few battles with grammar books and dictionnaries at reach of course. It's very difficicult to find the right answer at times AND explain the "why this and not that"!
I would love to come and meet you! I too am a teacher and love France 🇨🇵😍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back