The EV Motorhome is a reality and here (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Or a Camper van spotted in France...Discuss ;)

1727437825584.png

Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
Yes, saw a couple of Buzz based campers when we were in Spain. Both Dutch registered. Don't know what the range between charges was but one was connected to the "normal" blue plug EHU to its charging point and another to its hab ehu...

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
we met a solo traveller in Italy this year with a Nissan full electric, e-NV 200, she could only do around 160 miles at a time, she said she was concerned and had range anxiety all the time about the mileage, she went back to the UK early because of it. In the UK I don't there is as much of an issue as distances travelled between stops seem to provide opportunities to recharge, but in Northern Italy and through the Alps i think she had a few wobbles. She planned on going right down to Southern Italy but couldnt cope with the anxiety i think, so returned home. Such a shame as she seemed so brave and really wanted to make a go of it.

I am not 'knocking' EV's, i think they have a place in the campervan world and it wont be too long before larger motorhomes will start to enter the market at a realistic price and range - until then i think the early adopters will be paying through the nose for low range vehicles

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I am not convinced that they will be anything more than a gimmick for a good while yet, I would have thought that Hybrid would be the first step and i'm not really aware of any yet, I had a conversation with a guy from Morelo and he said they had looked at electric but quickly dismissed the idea as the traction batteries took away too much space that they needed for motorhome components like tanks and heating systems.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The bigger the item the less suited to battery power they are. Phones, fans, watches all fantastic, bikes & motorcycles still ok, cars? Hmmm maybe. Motorhomes- no. HGV, JCBs - definitely not šŸ˜”

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Coolcats

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
The bigger the item the less suited to battery power they are. Phones, fans, watches all fantastic, bikes & motorcycles still ok, cars? Hmmm maybe. Motorhomes- no. HGV, JCBs - definitely not šŸ˜”
I dunno about that, my home is powered by batteries when the sun isnā€™t shining and my home is bigger than a moho šŸ˜‰

Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
I think there is definite potential for a hybrid that can pootle through town as an EV then back to diesel for country road/motorways etc AND can use the EV batteries as a leisure battery in the van! That would certainly interest me (at the right price!)

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Where I park
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Exp
Since 1977
Itā€™s the payload that I would worry about. With all them batteries which are heavy canā€™t leave much of a payload.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yes, saw a couple of Buzz based campers when we were in Spain. Both Dutch registered. Don't know what the range between charges was but one was connected to the "normal" blue plug EHU to its charging point and another to its hab ehu...
It would take days to recharge from a typical 6A EHU. :)

Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido
JCB are heavily into hydrogen My brother, an ex-JCB manager, is convinced hydrogen is the future, at least for big plant.
Makes total sense. Building sites seldom have power to charge plant overnight!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
It would take days to recharge from a typical 6A EHU. :)

I guess your comment was tongue in cheek šŸ¤” I wouldnā€™t arrive with a flat battery anymore than I would arrive without diesel

It only needs to get to a charge point

I do have an EV and charge at home on 13A socket charger which self limits to 10A we get 10 miles range / hour charging, so overnight would easily add 100 miles

But taking our car example we would look to charge en route, rapid chargers can now give around 800 miles / hour of charge, but as we only have a 340 mile range would only charge for 15 - 20 mins or so, depending how low we were

We have a holiday let and had a visitor with a transit pop top fully electric camper with toilet and shower last year, we offered charging he never used it. The camper is their only car hence bringing it to a holiday let. Ā£80K but too small for us, I would change immediately for a fully electric coach built or bigger, provided not priced daftly and with 250 - 300 mile range

Tesla battery packs are around Ā£18K modern ICE engines must cost around half of that, so high pricing really not justified . Simplified economics I know but the real world EV driving is imo a great way forward

OP
OP
Coolcats

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I'd hate to see the price .ID Buzz starts at 64k in the UK .
From Ā£59,035 including VAT New https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/en/electric-vans/electric-and-hybrid/id-buzz.html

Many T5/6 conversions are on 2nd hand

2nd hand year old ID Buzz with low milage are around Ā£45-Ā£49k

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

• Back