Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
No doubt, many of us on here will be lighter in the wallet this year
as the Chancellor has removed the Winter Fuel Payment to all except
those on Pension Credit.

Having had time to absorb that fact, I came to the conclusion that anyone
who isn't on the Gov's books as bereft of financial accumen may be in said
Gov's sights when it comes to relieving them of a few quid.

Which brings me to the Title of this message.

The Autumn statement or Budget is set for 30th October this year.

I appreciate that many on here use their vehicles all through the Winter,
especially those with PHGV status. (ie +3.5t) It may be prudent to SORN the van,
say in September, (the back end thereof) and reapply for for a new DVLA Vehicle
Tax to start in October.

After all, the 'anomoly' of paying less Vehicle Tax for a heavier van than a 3.5t
vehicle is ripe for being a target, (and has been for some time.) I would be very surprised if the 'Suggestion Box' at No.11 doesn't already have such a suggestion.
The vast majority of us that own such a motorhome don't have a reasonable argument to put against it.

Just the musings of a Tyke with a Scots mother.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
SORN the van, say in September, (the back end thereof) and reapply for for a new DVLA Vehicle Tax to start in October.
Yes, you have to play them at their own game!

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Seems logical Derek… however, it also seems like there are a lot (because as Motorhomers we see a lot of them!) of vehicles >3.5T PHGV’s when in real terms it’s probably a tiny percentage of vehicles on the road and therefore (hopefully) low priority because it would be a low return effort for the Govt!

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Seems logical Derek… however, it also seems like there are a lot (because as Motorhomers we see a lot of them!) of vehicles >3.5T PHGV’s when in real terms it’s probably a tiny percentage of vehicles on the road and therefore (hopefully) low priority because it would be a low return effort for the Govt!
Morning,

Whilst you are correct in that it affects a small number, at a stroke it simplifies a process. Tick! It raises revenue, Tick! It fits in with this lot's ideology, Tick!!!

Win, win, (for them)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I’m anticipating an operation in October which will render me unable to drive for a month so I’m considering SORNing. At under 3.5T it will save me £28 pm.

IF I keep off the road until March then that amounts to £160

IF the rate rises from £335 to £500 it’s probably not worth doing

I shall be listening to the announcement carefully and may end up paying for October twice (or I could just follow the advice of SORN on September 30 and retax on October 1, losing £28 🙄)

Gordon
Under 3.5 t remember

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I shall be listening to the announcement carefully and may end up paying for October twice (or I could just follow the advice of SORN on September 30 and retax on October 1, losing £28 🙄)
You won't lose £28 though, you'll gain that, note though that if you intend to use it at the beginning of October you won't be able to tax it online as you have to wait 5 days I believe before you can tax it again otherwise you'd have to do it at a Post Office.

If you aren't going to use it in September either then SORN it towards the end of August and save £28 for September then if you want you can re-tax it from October or just leave on SORN. We do it all the time with our car and camper as no point paying tax when they're off road for a month or two.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It may be prudent to SORN the van,
It would raise far more money if they only allowed yearly tax, & did away with the ability to sorn a vehicle.I have never understood what halfwit thought that was a sensible idea? On par with doing away with tax discs & the yearly loss is approaching 20million.
Should be a straight January 1st,tax due for the year .end of.No monthly payments .

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
It would raise far more money if they only allowed yearly tax, & did away with the ability to sorn a vehicle.I have never understood what halfwit thought that was a sensible idea? On par with doing away with tax discs & the yearly loss is approaching 20million.
Should be a straight January 1st,tax due for the year .end of.No monthly payments .
Shudder the thought that someone at Whitehall has a van, (and even worse, is a Funster)
Between us, if it hasn't crossed their mind, it will now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
You won't lose £28 though, you'll gain that, note though that if you intend to use it at the beginning of October you won't be able to tax it online as you have to wait 5 days I believe before you can tax it again otherwise you'd have to do it at a Post Office.

If you aren't going to use it in September either then SORN it towards the end of August and save £28 for September then if you want you can re-tax it from October or just leave on SORN. We do it all the time with our car and camper as no point paying tax when they're off road for a month or two.
Thanks for the info.

At the moment I don't have a date for the op except Oct 1 is the earliest it can be (owing to needing a month after flying). I hope to make full use of the van during September "just in case" :( .

For the last few years I've kept both vehicles taxed as we never go away for more than a month and try to use the van for days out as well as the car for shopping/visiting people etc.

So once I get a date I'll have a bit more idea about when to SORN. IF the op is in November then I will probably write off using the van until March BUT if it's October, should I try to get 11 months at the cheaper rate (assuming VED rises significantly for a dirty PLGV)? Decisions, decisions! :rolleyes:

Gordon

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Just renewed my VED, which was £345 not £335 by the way. At least that insulates me until next year. It might have been replaced by road pricing by then or, more likely, added to it.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
I've never understood the cliff edge approach to benefits. We are in the fortunate position, through a lot of hard work and prudence (like many people on this forum, no doubt), that it won't materially affect us but there are many, many people who it will impact at the crossover point. What is wrong with making it taxable for everyone, then people who pay little or no tax would still receive it. This all or nothing approach drives the wrong behaviours in my view.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Probably cost more than 20m to issue tax discs.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
P

especially those with PHGV status. (ie +3.5t) It may be prudent to SORN the van,
Tax to start in October.

After all, the 'anomoly' of paying less Vehicle Tax for a heavier van than a 3.5t
vehicle is ripe for being a target, (and has been for some time.) I would be very surprised if the 'Suggestion Box' at No.11 doesn't already have such a suggestion.
The vast majority of us that own such a motorhome don't have a reasonable argument to put against it.
Pretty sure the last lot would have done it if it raised anything worthwhile

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PaulC70

Visiting Coventry
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Tax to start in October.

IF it does happen it won't stop me using it "out of season" but I'll enjoy the even emptier roads :giggle:

Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido
No doubt, many of us on here will be lighter in the wallet this year
as the Chancellor has removed the Winter Fuel Payment to all except
those on Pension Credit.

Tax to start in October.

Wont happen, RHA and logistics organisations would be so opposed….

I am more worried about pension taxation.

Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Must disagree.

Maybe OK when ved was £60, but not since it has been massively increased. Many people like to take vehicles off the road for a few months of the year.

We MH buyers are actually lucky that the over £40k hike of £390 pa does not apply…..

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Don't give them any ideas . The state of the roads they've a cheek taking it anyway.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It would raise far more money if they only allowed yearly tax, & did away with the ability to sorn a vehicle.
They actually "lose" to the tune of the same amount as the wfa removal due to sorn. as around 3,5million is the average sorned each year-
Probably cost more than 20m to issue tax discs.
They are doing Something wrong then. Same as everything in uk far too dear. They issue passports here i spain for 20€,new credit /debit cards will you wait .I even got one in the Uk in less than 24 hours so easily done if the will is there

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back