Temporary Repair to Bodywork (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 13, 2024
Funster No
MH
Looking
Hi,

Had a small accident with some damage to the body work of the van.
Have spoken with the insurer and can get it repaired when we're back in the UK November or December.
What's the best thing to cover it up with until then? Currently covered in duct tape. Is there anything better?
I will cut the loose bit of trim off when I get a saw.
Cheers

PXL_20240913_125446405.jpg

PXL_20240913_171742267.jpg

PXL_20240913_170207360.jpg

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I had rather similar damage when the step worked its way out onto a stone wall driving in a narrow Cotswold lane. I didn't bother with insurance due to the excess and effect it would have had on the premiums for ALL 4 of of my vehicles.
It would help if your Profile indicated at least your county as it looks a pretty simple fibreglass repair. I took mine to a boatyard where it was fixed for £120.

Step scrape 2.JPG

CIMG2767.JPG

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
I had duct tape on mine for over a year before I could get it booked in and have the bumper repaired. Replaced it a few times as it still got filthy underneath.

IMG_20240703_143839200_MF_PORTRAIT (1).jpg

Upvote 0
May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
Hi,

Have spoken with the insurer and can get it repaired when we're back in the UK November or December.
What's the best thing to cover it up with until then? Currently covered in duct tape. Is there anything better?
Cheers

View attachment 950793

View attachment 950794

View attachment 950795
I did something similar to mine and have fixed it with duct tape, but white rather than grey, not so obvious that way 😀

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Hi,

Cheers

View attachment 950793

View attachment 950794

View attachment 950795

You can buy this tape is various lengths and widths which will tie the damaged bits together and look prettier until you get it repaired.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30544505...pid=5339023013&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Feb 13, 2024
Funster No
MH
Looking
I had rather similar damage when the step worked its way out onto a stone wall driving in a narrow Cotswold lane. I didn't bother with insurance due to the excess and effect it would have had on the premiums for ALL 4 of of my vehicles.
It would help if your Profile indicated at least your county as it looks a pretty simple fibreglass repair. I took mine to a boatyard where it was fixed for £120.

View attachment 950799

View attachment 950802
Thanks. That is something to think about. We're in France on the way to Spain and Portugal.

I hadn't realised how cheap it could be to fix although the damage is a bit worse than shown in the photo. The wing mirror is gone and there's a dent in the front quarter panel. There's damage to the habitation door, wheel arch trim and the rear bumper too. Scraped all down one side. I'll look into not claiming more thoroughly now though.

I think some of the trim - the skirt, wheel arch and bumper feels like plastic rather than fibreglass. Is this still cheap to repair?

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Thanks. That is something to think about. We're in France on the way to Spain and Portugal.

I hadn't realised how cheap it could be to fix although the damage is a bit worse than shown in the photo. The wing mirror is gone and there's a dent in the front quarter panel. There's damage to the habitation door, wheel arch trim and the rear bumper too. Scraped all down one side. I'll look into not claiming more thoroughly now though.

I think some of the trim - the skirt, wheel arch and bumper feels like plastic rather than fibreglass. Is this still cheap to repair?
I think if you have told the insurance it will still most likely affect your premiums even if they don't foot the bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think if you have told the insurance it will still most likely affect your premiums even if they don't foot the bill
Yes, it will still be recorded as an 'at fault' accident regardless of whether a claim was made or not.

Upvote 0
Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020

As an example, look at my posting ‘ BIG recommendation’. I had 6.5 hours of repair work done at a cost of £450. Increased premiums and excess would have been much, much higher.

Being a relative ‘newbie’ I too did not realise how easy this kind of repair is and failed to keep the broken bits which would have saved the additional cost of the parts.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Feb 13, 2024
Funster No
MH
Looking
As an example, look at my posting ‘ BIG recommendation’. I had 6.5 hours of repair work done at a cost of £450. Increased premiums and excess would have been much, much higher.

Being a relative ‘newbie’ I too did not realise how easy this kind of repair is and failed to keep the broken bits which would have saved the additional cost of the parts.
Thanks I had a look at your post. Will see what the damage adds up to before making a claim. May not be worth it with the increase in premiums it'll lead to.

Upvote 0
May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
Thanks I had a look at your post. Will see what the damage adds up to before making a claim. May not be worth it with the increase in premiums it'll lead to.
Just goes to show what a scam the insurance companies are. They do not take into account all the thousands of pounds you have spent with them in the last years. If it weren't for the question of legality, you'd be better off not having insurance and just paying out when needed.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back