Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 10, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
We have been with Comfort for at least 6 years, probably more, and have never claimed from them. The renewal quote just received increases the premium by £175 compared to last year and last year's was already quite a hike from the previous year. No change of address, no significant birthdays, a modest British built MH so no importing of European parts. So, why?! It just looks like greed, or perhaps they need to change their underwriter. The tedious comparison quotes process now begins.... 🤬

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have been with Comfort for at least 6 years, probably more, and have never claimed from them. The renewal quote just received increases the premium by £175 compared to last year and last year's was already quite a hike from the previous year. No change of address, no significant birthdays, a modest British built MH so no importing of European parts. So, why?! It just looks like greed, or perhaps they need to change their underwriter. The tedious comparison quotes process now begins.... 🤬
We have been with Comfort for 14 year renewal was 20% up this year but for the new van we pick up next week they wanted double that they quoted £1000 so we have changed to NFU at £717 both quotes for 8000 miles.

May 10, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
I just discovered that not only have Comfort hiked the renewal premium but all the excesses have been increased too by 50% - 100%! Yes, they are taking the mick! Time to move on.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
I just discovered that not only have Comfort hiked the renewal premium but all the excesses have been increased too by 50% - 100%! Yes, they are taking the mick! Time to move on.
I noticed the excesses being increased too. Will see what they do next year and decide then.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Picking up the new van next week just got an updated quote from NFU £43 less than when they quoted in April.
£671 for 8000 miles, have to see how we go on the mileage, will probably have to increase it.
Is this the price including your 30 thou personal upgrades Lenny😇😎😆

May 30, 2017
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 694
Exp
Motorhoming since 2017
Definately off on a bit of a tangent but in the spirit of 'taking the mick'.

At work earlier this week I received a text message from Direct Line. It started "Claim Update" and said I'd be receiving £1633.77 by BACS transfer within 3 to 5 working days. As I don't currently have a DL policy, and haven't made any insurance claim recently, I filed it in my brain under SPAM.

Sat at home that evening I thought about it again, especially as there were no typical Spam markers, such as links to click or numbers to call. I'd also had my car insurance with DL when it was written off about 2 or 3 years ago when some idiot came around a corner across the center line, taking out me and the car behind me. I did a Google search and found this...

Britain’s second-biggest car insurer, Direct Line, has been ordered to go back through five years of claims after admitting it had underpaid some customers who had their cars and vans written off.

Lo and behold the promised money turned up in my bank account 2 days later.

At the time of the accident I argued with DL that their payout offer was too low for the year, and specifically spec, of the car but they only budged slightly and I gave up, dumping them when the renewal was due. It appears I was right on the payout offer, they were taking the mick at the time. Still waiting to see if DL send me a letter explaining the payout.

May 17, 2015
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance SE
Exp
I am a Newbie
Last year Comfort charged me £464, to insure the m/h. (which I thought was robbery at the time !) . The renewal has just landed on my computer, £689. !!! Plus excesses increased. When challenged, I was told Aviva who underwrite the policy, had issued instructions that no discounts were to be given to policies this year.
No issues during the year,
Just completed a quick check on a comparison site, prices ranged from £690 to over £1350 !
How can these companies offer such a wide difference in charges for the same specs ?
Do they pluck figures from some fantasy land ? Absolutely no confidence in these companies, which alas we must throw our hard earned cash to. The search continues….

May 10, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
Just a quick follow-up to my post #91 (above) on 8 June: After a bit of phoning around we got cover from the C&MC for just a £11 more than we paid for 2023-24. That's a whopping £164 saving on Comfort's recent '24-'25 renewal price! The insurance cover is identical.

If, as Yorkshirelad175 says, it's Aviva driving these totally unjustified premium increases, then Comfort probably need to reconsider their underwriters or risk losing many long-term customers.

Jun 13, 2020
Garden of England
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML T570
We have been with Comfort for 14 year renewal was 20% up this year but for the new van we pick up next week they wanted double that they quoted £1000 so we have changed to NFU at £717 both quotes for 8000 miles.
Lenny , which branch office did you use please?
Only the last time I tried with NFU last year they struggled confirming a quote due to the addition of solar, Gaslow and Thule awning for some reason. It took so long for the decision to be made I gave my business to Caravan Guard .
I’d be interested to give them another go this year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back