Taking my dog to France from UK on an EU passport issued in France (1 Viewer)

Apr 15, 2024
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Hello, I am a British resident and reside in the UK. My dog has an EU passport issued in France as I have a French address. His rabies vaccine is due for renewal. He will need tapeworm medication to return to the UK but a UK vet would invalidate the passport if they update it. Has anyone had experience of this or advice? Thank you in advance.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Get the rabies vaccination and worming treatment done in France at same time on your return, assuming the rabies vaccine won't have expired before you get to the vets ?

Mick and Ruth

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
English vets cant touch European passports. The below vet is excellent and will issue a new passport or renew one with no issues just call them to make appointment. A cpl of hours from Calais no messing around. Also a campsite nearby you can use to explore Brugge.

1713178986769.png

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
Hello, I am a British resident and reside in the UK. My dog has an EU passport issued in France as I have a French address. His rabies vaccine is due for renewal. He will need tapeworm medication to return to the UK but a UK vet would invalidate the passport if they update it. Has anyone had experience of this or advice? Thank you in advance.

You don't have to take it up to the wire to get the rabies booster done so there is nothing to prevent you getting it done a little early in France.

Much much better than the faf involved if it expires.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
If you are in France at the moment or can get over to France before the current rabies vaccination expires, then just get a French vet to administer the booster vaccination (preferably a three-year one).

If the current rabies vaccination will have expired before you can return to France then you will need a booster to be administered in the UK and a subsequent Animal Health Certificate to get you back into France. Do not let a UK vet enter the rabies vaccination into the EU Pet Passport - just keep it as a separate record.

UK vets can enter tapeworm treatments and health checks in an EU Pet Passport but that is all. If you just want to go over to France for a day trip to get your dog's rabies booster done there, then it is fine for a UK vet to do the worming treatment before you leave so that you don't have to hang around for 24 hours in France.

OP
OP
V
Apr 15, 2024
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
If you are in France at the moment or can get over to France before the current rabies vaccination expires, then just get a French vet to administer the booster vaccination (preferably a three-year one).

If the current rabies vaccination will have expired before you can return to France then you will need a booster to be administered in the UK and a subsequent Animal Health Certificate to get you back into France. Do not let a UK vet enter the rabies vaccination into the EU Pet Passport - just keep it as a separate record.

UK vets can enter tapeworm treatments and health checks in an EU Pet Passport but that is all. If you just want to go over to France for a day trip to get your dog's rabies booster done there, then it is fine for a UK vet to do the worming treatment before you leave so that you don't have to hang around for 24 hours in France.
Thank you. I've seen conflicting advice about UK vets invalidating an EU issued passport but have read they can add tapeworm treatment. Good idea about the worming, however I'll probably make a longer trip of it. Fingers crossed. Many thanks🤞

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Yes, they can. As explained above, they can complete the worming and health check sections. Just keep them away from the rabies vaccination section.

View attachment 886255
Correct. We have done this UK vet give tablet on Friday afternoon shoot down to Dover and Bruges for weekend. Back on Monday within 120 hrs of first tablet.
Also we gave Ruby her rabies booster in February 6 months before it was due to run out. No problem.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
okay sorry
the information you give seems official..............but i was told my information by spannish vet
Yes, that information is official. The source is APHA - the Animal & Plant Health Agency - and those are OV (Official Vet) instructions.

Spanish vets, French vets, other EU vets, UK vets have all been known to dispense inaccurate information when it comes to EU Pet Passports.

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.

Wouldn’t you have to wait for 21 days after the rabies inoculation in France before you travel back to the UK?

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Wouldn’t you have to wait for 21 days after the rabies inoculation in France before you travel back to the UK?
That depends on what date the vet enters. On ours he put a month on before travel date even though it was a booster.

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
No, because it is just a booster.

That depends on what date the vet enters. On ours he put a month on before travel date even though it was a booster.
Do you mean the vet recorded a false date, one month before the actual inoculation date? Why would they do that if, according to maz, it’s not necessary as the 21 day rule doesn’t apply to a booster?

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Do you mean the vet recorded a false date, one month before the actual inoculation date? Why would they do that if, according to maz, it’s not necessary as the 21 day rule doesn’t apply to a booster?
No inoculation date was the day it was done but the date it was OK to travel was 1month later.

Mick and Ruth

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
Vet we used for worming. Recommended.
check if the rabies booster is for 1 or 2 years
All 3 the ones I know who have had it done here.
They tend to get shorter the nearer you get to Morocco due to issues with Rabies and wild dogs over there, I was told this by an English vet in Mojacar I was speaking to.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
No need to do that.

It’s a booster.

We returned beginning of February. Called in vet for worming tablets in Rochefort. Four days before travel back to 🇬🇧
Lovely vet did the 3 year rabies all the other boosters that were due on return along with worming tablets all for €50.
No problem at the check point on port or on this trip out

Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp CL678
Exp
Since August 2019. Not including VW split screens a lifetime ago....
Also consider Ireland if its easier. We had our dog's rabies jag done there. Ferry to Belfast from Cairnryan and a shortish drive into the Republic.

Jul 22, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
To remind people taking their dog to France at the moment. "In the forest and in the woods, it is obligatory to walk with your dog on a leash outside the forest paths during the period from April 15 to June 30 (decree of March 16, 1955). This measure aims to not disrupt the reproduction of wild animals."

Jul 30, 2023
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Considering getting EU pet passports for our 2 during next trip in June. This thread has been really useful so thanks everyone.
But what about their standard annual jabs? If these are entered onto their vaccination cards by our UK vet is that sufficient? Our vet includes a print out of their recent health checks and annual jabs with the AHC to show when he gave the rabies jab. This seems OTT as rabies dates are on the AHC anyway. Surely their annual jabs for distemper, parvo etc are irrelevant for EU /UK travel?

Apr 9, 2022
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 1984
Pantouffle, you are correct that the dog's standard annual jabs are not relevant to the pet passport but it is still worth taking the vaccination card with you as some campsites specify that they only allow dogs with an up to date vaccination cert. I think we've only ever been asked for proof once but, all the same, if something unfortunate happened to necessitate your dog going into kennels (eg you & your travelling companion being hospitalised) the kennel would require proof too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back