Surge protection

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix
Does anyone have an electrical surge protection device either fitted to their vehicle or one that plugs into the EHU system?
Reason for asking is that a surge blew our last vehicles charging unit😤
It wasn’t the cost as this was covered by the site but it was the time that it took to get a replacement and we had to sort all that out and get it replaced and certified.
Any suggestions would be very welcome 👍

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
I fitted one of these beware a lot of fake units out there don’t buy the cheapest
1720685071352.jpeg

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
another vote for the AVS30 .....! i was also advised to fit a DPDT rcd aswell, in between the AVS30 and the 'site' supply.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
another vote for the AVS30 .....! i was also advised to fit a DPDT rcd aswell, in between the AVS30 and the 'site' supply.
I never bothered with that as site outlets have an RCD but it doesn't any harm to be extra safe.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Apache Hi Line 634
Can someone explain how the AVS 30 are wired, assume from the EHU point of entry and is similar to wiring a plug in effort ?

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
Can someone explain how the AVS 30 are wired, assume from the EHU point of entry and is similar to wiring a plug in effort ?
Very simple. Even I could manage it!
You need to locate the mains cable coming from the ehu socket.
Determine where the unit is to be mounted and cut the cable.
Note - ensure there is enough slack in the cable before cutting as you will need some extra length for the connections.
You will now have 6 wires to connect to the AVS30. 3 in and 3 out.
Make sure you locate the unit as close to the ehu socket as possible (before the cable reaches any other devices, chargers etc)

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Apache Hi Line 634
Thanks - what size cable is normally used from the EHU to the charger, etc.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Hopefully you wont need any extra cable.
There was plenty of slack in ours.
My dad used to tell me 'no need to become a miner son, there's enough slack in your trousers '

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Apache Hi Line 634
Could someone explain what this box of tricks does, besides being a surge protector.

If the MH does take a spike of elec, does this product stops power going through or does it regulate the input???

Last question - someone referred to seeing these wired into the external EHU cable, any reason this is done as opposed to wiring internally ?

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Could someone explain what this box of tricks does, besides being a surge protector.

If the MH does take a spike of elec, does this product stops power going through or does it regulate the input???

Last question - someone referred to seeing these wired into the external EHU cable, any reason this is done as opposed to wiring internally ?

Thanks in advance
The AVS 30 suppresses spikes & surges before they get to your circuits it also have under and over voltage protection. With under or over voltage the unit will disconnect the mains and not reconnect until the voltage is within the limits you have set and it has stabilised.

You normally mount the between the incoming mains and your consumer unit or between the RCB and the MCB's in the consumer unit.
You could use it externally but you would need to fit it in a waterproof box, A pain if you want to see what the unit is doing or want to use the bypass switch. I don't see the point unless you wanted to use one on a hire van.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Apache Hi Line 634
Cheers Lenny 👍

As a side note have you seen the Hyperlite paddleboard from Costco 🤪

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
I fitted an AVS30 on the advice of Lenny HB prior to going to Greece/Crete last year. Main concern was the possible voltage fluctuations when ‘Camping Onboard’ the ferry and on EHU to the ship’s generated power.

It works! No problem on the way out, but returning Igoumenitsa to Bari, and while in the port after boarding, the AVS30 kept on tripping out due to over voltage detection. Once we were on the high seas the voltage stabilised and no further issues.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back