suggest a wifi signal booster?

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by jaygee, Nov 26, 2012.

1. pvw10

pvw10

Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks, i have left my email for when they come back online.
    I will research the security side to ensure i am happy with this shared access before i commit though.

2. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +98,127
    When you say shared access do you mean allowing others to use your. iboost signal?

If so, it is password protected.

3. pvw10

pvw10

Ratings:
    +45
    No sorry i meant my home network.

• Like it Like it x 1
  4. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

Ratings:
    +3,462
    From the Fon site:
    and
    You set how much bandwidth you will allow to be shared. Mine is set to 1mbs, as I get around 18mbs total. I didn't want to encourage hours of streaming video. In practice, I don't think anyone has ever used it, despite being in a town. Apart from somebody walking past, I don't suppose there is much need - parking within range is pretty much impossible. You get a log of users - nobody on it but me testing it out, although I don't know how accurate it is. Another log is supposed to show you where you have logged in elsewhere, but apparently, I haven't (although I have!).

• Like it Like it x 1
  5. pvw10

pvw10

Ratings:
    +45
    Got it thanks.
    I get about 60mb so obviously need to control it.
    Once the Fon gadget comes back online i will buy, it will help me generally around the place with iPhones/ipads and the camper is just a bonus.
    Thanks a lot matey :O)

6. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Ratings:
    +26,544

Phew, thought I was getting hot last time out ;)

• Like it Like it x 1
  7. horshamjack

horshamjack Funster

Ratings:
    +833

8. Sheddy

Sheddy Funster

Ratings:
    +15,564
    The usb router i use is like this, however I got it from Motorhome wifi, it was an old type that they sold, you need to make sure that it is compatible with the antenna, so prior to buying confirm from the supplier that it is suitable.
    Relatively easy to set up, if you know your way around a computer, it is not plug and play.
    Mine is great and I like the search facility which allows me to pick which signal I want to use.
    http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-usb-usbwifirpt-3000.html

• Like it Like it x 1
  9. Paul_Richardson

Paul_Richardson

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi there,

I'm a little confused, how does an aerial generate microwave energy, I thought it was a receiver?

Regards,

Paul

10. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

Ratings:
    +3,462
    WiFi (like the internet in general) is two way. You both transmit & receive. Aerials can do both - it's just that we have all got used to the TV signal being one way, so our roof top TV aerials are only used to receive.

In practice, there is little point in turning up the transmit power too much, because you only control one side of the link. You may have a better aerial than the one on the router you are linking to, but you can't turn up their transmit power, so your ability to receive will be the ultimate limiting factor - however much you blast in their direction. :cautious:

I have the directional aerial, so on the few occasions I do use it inside the van, it is pointing out through the window, rather than broadcasting at (& through) me. I usually reach through the skylight & put it on the roof though - noticeably better reception when on the limit. With the omni-directional aerial, it's even more important to put it outside:
    1. it's bigger & would be in the way
    2. you couldn't avoid being transmitted through (brain-fry worries etc)
    3. as it's not as effective as the directional aerial, it's even more important to have it outside the van's shielding effect & as high above the ground as possible.

• Like it Like it x 2
  11. Ovalball

Ovalball Funster

Ratings:
    +163
    Same here.Not cheap but very good.

• Like it Like it x 1
  12. mikekaren2

mikekaren2 Funster

Ratings:
    +262
    Just a technical point, a aerial receives signals an antena both sends & receives signals! One thing I learned from my signals course:mask:

Mike

• Like it Like it x 1
  13. joner8888

joner8888

Ratings:
    +1,975
    Is there a aerial or booster for a non USB tablets that picks up faint roaming network signals ie, Vodafone net, access that can be picked up.
    On most sites there is payg Wifi or a distant useless roaming signal.
    It looks like most of the boosters listed here are for WIFI

14. Paul_Richardson

Paul_Richardson

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi there,

I completely forgot that WiFi is two way, whoops.

Regards,

Paul

15. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

Ratings:
    +3,462
    Yes, several these days. All the above are WiFi only, but there are now systems available that will combine 3G, 4G & WiFi in the same unit, or you can stick to separate units - one for 3 & 4G & another for WiFi.

I have a Deltenna WiBE, because that's what was available at the time, but there have been several more products come onto the market recently.

A good place to start is http://www.motorhomewifi.com/
    Lots of info & good advice on there & Adam is a helpful member on this forum. There may be cheaper ways of doing what you want, but if you are not technically minded, Adam & Sophie are very good at assessing what you need & then giving proper support once you have got it. You stand a much better chance of getting it right first time.

Also exhibiting at Malvern were http://www.wifionboard.co.uk/
    Their background is boats rather than vehicles, but it's all the same technology. I wouldn't know how to compare the technical specifications, but their external 3/4G antennae (thanks Mike!) look very neat & very robust.

In this market, there is a lot to be said for 'best value' rather than 'lowest cost'. Most of us need to buy in expertise as well as product.

16. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

Ratings:
    +590
    As always thanks for the mentions and kind words on our products, I rarely have to chip in these days as Funsters are so knowledgeable :)

My preference would be to keep any 3/4G system separate from a WiFi system. We do have a cross over router which would add 3/4G functionality to the iBoost (sold similarly elsewhere) but its a bit 'clunky' and doesn't do 2G. For the same reason we discontinued the USB router mentioned earlier and now listed in Jim's shop - the official UK importer say "this unit is far from consumer friendly" - we had a 35% support rate on that unit vs just 3% for the iBoost (yes, we're that sad). In addition any 3/4G device should be portable - take it out for the day, take it on holiday (without the van) or use it in the car.

The only way to 'boost' the 3/4G signal for a tablet (legally and without cooking your insides) would be to remove the data SIM card in your tablet and place into an external device (eg a MiFi) which has an external antenna socket - because your tablet won't have one. This will allow you to attach an external window / roof mounted antenna to improve your reception.

However, if you have a Vodafone SIM you might as well not bother - their data coverage is so poor - so perhaps try a Three / EE SIM (assuming your tablet is unlocked) before resorting to external hardware which may detract from the portability of your tablet.

Come and see us at a show if you'd like a free alternative SIM to try - I'm willing to bet that would be better than Vodafone.

• Like it Like it x 1
  17. Glandwr

Glandwr Funster

Ratings:
    +5,070
  18. Jimbost

Jimbost Funster

Ratings:
    +25
    Fitted the Iboost Omni with roof fitting about three months ago. Also signed up for the Fonera deal.
    I fitted the antenna so I could open the main roof vent and erect the antenna. It takes seconds unlock it, stand the antenna upright and lock it again. The Fonera access is great as I can now get free wifi anywhere there is a BT hotspot or Fon Hot spot. When you connect the Fonera access point to your router at home you create a Hotspot that anyone signed up to Fon or BT can access. It uses limited bandwidth but does not affect me at all and has no access to your home network. Granted the Omni Iboost is expense but paired with the Fonera deal at £36 for free wifi forever is really works well.

The Iboost wireless router in the Motorhome works exactly like your WiFi system at home. Login and wander around if you are travelling with friends they can log in from their motorhome too. We have a strong signal 50m away The furthest hotspot we have connected to so far has been 2Km away.

• Like it Like it x 2
  19. Ovalball

Ovalball Funster

Ratings:
    +163
    The support from Motorhome wifi has been excellent so please consider after sales when making your choice.

• Like it Like it x 1
  20. pvw10

pvw10

Ratings:
    +45
    I also finally got my purse out and bought the Fonera and the directional iboost gadget, it all works very well.