Stuck in France - Fuel Leaking (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
My son James in his 2016 Ducato, left Katie Skydiving in Spain today and headed North to do some climbing in the Alps. Just called me to say that fuel is dripping from high up from the tank side at quite a rate of knots. They smelt it first, pulled over and discovered the leak.

He said he noticed a few spots under the van the other day, but forgot to investigate. He's done a thousand miles since then.

He's called recovery and been waiting a while? What do you think. Fuel Filter or tank?

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I am aware of a rat chewing a nipple on the top of the tank that cannot be seen and has no known use. It would leak down the filler side and appear to be coming from a filler pipe on a 22 model as the diesel swishes around when driven. Not common but not unheard of ☹️

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
My son James in his 2016 Ducato, left Katie Skydiving in Spain today and headed North to do some climbing in the Alps. Just called me to say that fuel is dripping from high up from the tank side at quite a rate of knots. They smelt it first, pulled over and discovered the leak.

He said he noticed a few spots under the van the other day, but forgot to investigate. He's done a thousand miles since then.

He's called recovery and been waiting a while? What do you think. Fuel Filter or tank?

Ask James to pop the cover off the top of the fuel tank where the fuel level sender is to see if there is anything obvious or any pipework that's come off.
The cover is next to the passenger seat about half way along between the two cab seats.

1719939244017.png

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
If he’s opened the bonnet it would be pretty wet with diesel around the filter housing and underneath that’s the first, if not it’ll be from the tank…

Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
Just remembered when I had a fuel sender thingy go on a range rover it affected the accuracy of the fuel guage....probs because of air etc...it might be just overflow as said. Diesel does go everywhere when driving so it's had to fathom.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not sure if it's the fuel filter the problem was with the plastic ones they changed to a metal one a few years before 2016.

Reactions: DBK
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
As Lenny HB states the fuel filter on a 2016 I’d definitely metal sealed type , but worth checking that the push on connectors are still in tact. Upper right corner in engine bay.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
He's been recovered to a closed garage but a mechanic came out in a car, and said he's sure it's the filter and will be in at 8am to fix it. Well James thinks that's what he said! Hopefully he'll get a quick fix as he has a climb tomorrow and a shepherd hut on the mountain booked.

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
As Lenny HB states the fuel filter on a 2016 I’d definitely metal sealed type , but worth checking that the push on connectors are still in tact. Upper right corner in engine bay.
My fuel filter on my 2014 decato leaked for 9 mths after the service, this was due to water sensor being over tightening

Didn't notice it till it broke more and leaked loads all over the corner of the engine bay

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
That's what happened to us last year. Fuel sensor over tightened at service and it fractured after about a 1000 miles.

He will be able to tell as it only leaks when started and diesel pour out of the front not by the filler.

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
That's what happened to us last year. Fuel sensor over tightened at service and it fractured after about a 1000 miles.

He will be able to tell as it only leaks when started and diesel pour out of the front not by the filler.
I now change the fuel filter myself as it take ten minutes and is a very simple job to do, also carry the bung you take out of the new filters just in case

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back