Stopping waist water tank smells (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
autosleeper
Hi funsters
Has anyone fitted an inline gadget to the waste pipes on you mh to stop smells and do they work?
I know all about not putting food down and cleaning tank just wondering if gadgets help

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi funsters
Has anyone fitted an inline gadget to the waste pipes on you mh to stop smells and do they work?
I know all about not putting food down and cleaning tank just wondering if gadgets help
Where does your grey tank vent to?

This is my "little gadget" actually not little at all but we do have plenty of room underneath.

IMG_1421.jpeg

I will add it seems to work well on the grey and black tanks.

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
I've never had smells but I use Formil Liquid Washing Liquid from Lidl, the biological type in the toilet cassette and from time to time pour a bottle down the three plug holes, flush it through with a few litres of fresh water down each hole and leave the concoction in the grey tank for a week, with an occasional drive to shake it up.

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
I put lemon juice and white vinegar in the waste water tank works a treat, cleans all the crap out and smells ,, leave it a week cheap too only Ā£2 once a month

Upvote 0

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
We don't pour food waste down the sink, but 2 months ago we had a smell became unbearable.
Initially, I thought it was the battery venting off, and even changed the starter battery (the leisure is lifepo4) but the smell remained.
I ended up removing the grey waste tank and there was a soap scum build up in the bottom, I'm thinking because we use the shower a lot, anyway, cleaned it all out by hand and plenty of hot water and the smell has gone.

Took the opportunity to change the waste hoses at the same time

Might be worth a try if you can remove your tank easily

Upvote 0

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The science is that the smell is decomposing bio matter and fats in the waste water. Adding oxygen speeds up the process but a bio additive adds a culture that eats the bio stuff removing the smell. It is best to add an air vent at the top of the tank and treat the waste water to prevent smells

At home all the sinks/showers have a wet trap U type bend to prevent smells and drain gasses. Not always easy to achieve in a vehicle that moves. The newer sprung trapdoor type drain valves work well if you flush them clean regularly to prevent fatty deposits building up

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We use a product called 40 shot, some in grey tank some in black tank , virtually odour free, bordering on scented liquids šŸ‘

Ours vent right alongside the roof vent over our bedroom, so when toilet flushed and or hands washed we used to get a nasty whiff, not now

IMG_8655.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We use a product called 40 shot, some in grey tank some in black tank , virtually odour free, bordering on scented liquids šŸ‘

Ours vent right alongside the roof vent over our bedroom, so when toilet flushed and or hands washed we used to get a nasty whiff, not now

View attachment 806986
I bought two bottles of that on your recommendation David but not tried it yet, Lincoln possibly as that is our next trip.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back