Start/stop battery as a leisure battery? (1 Viewer)

Jun 1, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On and off since 1990
I need to replace my leisure batteries and took the van to a local battery and solar company to discuss my options.

I was told that it would be best for me to have 2 agm 95ah batteries of Exide make that would do 1,000 cycles. I came away to think about it and today decided I would book the van in but also wanted to check the model number. I was told that it would be a Fulmen FK950 but they were made by exide. I have now looked these batteries up and discovered that they are car stop/start batteries but can find no other data. My gut says they wouldn't be suitable as a leisure battery but thought I should check out with funsters who have far more knowledge than I!

Thank you in advance

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
seriously forget AGM as the way we use them in motorhomes is flawed and they fail prematurely. If your charger can be set to GEL, then these would give years of service, however when you do the sums, plain good quality lead acid wet batteries give good value for money. under £200 for probably 5 years use if maintained well, against £300 or more for 6 or 7 years with GEL

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I have two 95 Excide stop start batteries. Bought them five years ago in France when my previous ones gave up the ghost, they are still going great. They have been reliable, fast to charge, they hold charge well when not in use and I have never had a problem with them when off EHU for four or five days at a time in the summer months and two or three days on the winter. I have a 100 watt solar panel to support them but of course that’s not much good in the winter. I don’t know how long I can expect them to last but at the moment they seem good as new so I am happy with them and would replace them with similar batteries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B
Jun 1, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On and off since 1990
Thank you both for your replies. Sometimes wish we had fewer choices of both batteries and purchases in general.and then I might have more leisure time!

I had decided to stick to wets but the sales patter led me to consider the agms.
@iandism I would have the same set up as yourself if i went for these fulmen batteries but on my current banners have been able to do 5 days off grid in winter and obviously a lot more than that in summer. I guess it's about how we use our Van's really.

OP
OP
B
Jun 1, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On and off since 1990
Thank you @rod_vw going to have a read on the website now and will chat with him Morris if he's available

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Agm’s are getting bad press and car/Motorhome manufacturers are stopping the use of agm batteries..... gel is the way to go and are not much more if at all more expensive then wet lead acid batteries....

@Lenny HB has more experience to offer on this...

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
AGM batteries are ok as long as your vehicle mains charger can support them ( it should have an AGM setting) you solar panel can charge them properly and your alternator can charge them properly.
Our new van came with an AGM leisure battery, the onboard charger and alternator were set up for AGM, so is the solar system, but the handbook says to charge the batteries on mains hook up as often as possible.
That reads to me like they aren’t really suitable as leisure batteries.
So, after advice on here, I swapped the AGM for 2 lead acid batteries.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
For anyone, looking for information on Batteries and their uses, this site is a mine of information. http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/.

Note for Jim:- Is it worth making the link a "Sticky" or something. These sorts of requests for information seem to come up quite regularly?
I do not feel all his information can be relied on. His argument against LiFePo4 batteries is so full of holes you could use it as a collander and some of the figures he uses are just plain wrong.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
AGM srevbsd news for lesiure us, last van came with AGM they lasted 18months. Loads of Motorhomes have found they don't last much more than a year.
Current van I got rid of the AGM and fitted 3 gels. With the correct charger gels will last many years some members on here with 10 year old gels still going.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I do not feel all his information can be relied on. His argument against LiFePo4 batteries is so full of holes you could use it as a collander and some of the figures he uses are just plain wrong.

Have not had the need to research LiFePo4`s, so the jury is out AFAIK personally. But most of the stuff I have seen is a sensible take on the current state of play. It is also worth remembering that like much of modern tech; the knowledge base is accelerating at a rate we have never known before, so as a resource it is at least a useful start.

Also worth knowing is the claim that they do not sell batteries, (They refurb; Chargers as their core business). Many of which (they claim) have failed because of the use of wrongly matched batteries!. So on the face of it they have no axe to grind, beyond observing that Charger / Battery matching is important, and some are better that others for that purpose.?

NickandClair

Free Member
Apr 30, 2018
Taunton, Somerset
Funster No
MH
The Dark Side!!!!
Exp
Since 2001
Love using this link from Mr Sterling taking through the range of regular conventional batteries. It also can be down to personal experience of course (y);

As for Li, best you take a look at previous threads, or I may be forced to get back on the Soap Box :LOL:. Ill just leave this link here though, but stay with the video if you can (Can't help myself ;));

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.

Have not had the need to research LiFePo4`s, so the jury is out AFAIK personally. But most of the stuff I have seen is a sensible take on the current state of play. It is also worth remembering that like much of modern tech; the knowledge base is accelerating at a rate we have never known before, so as a resource it is at least a useful start.

Also worth knowing is the claim that they do not sell batteries, (They refurb; Chargers as their core business). Many of which (they claim) have failed because of the use of wrongly matched batteries!. So on the face of it they have no axe to grind, beyond observing that Charger / Battery matching is important, and some are better that others for that purpose.?
Having read their page on Lithium batteries, I find it strange that of all the research available on line, they are the only ones quoting their own figures. :rolleyes: Having been quoted on their page, it astounds me that they assume I have not carried out any research myself and been taken in by Vanbitz. :mad: They just concured with everything I had read before and if you know vanbitz, they certainly will not sell you someting you don't need.(y) From previous posts, there is certainly no love lost between @Jim, @eddievanbitz and aanadn so it is no surprise that out of all the available posts and information out there, they quote one post from Motorhomefun to slag off and nothing else. (n)(n)

Last edited:
OP
OP
B
Jun 1, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On and off since 1990
Thank you everyone for your input.
My charger supports gel but not agm. The chap at the battery company said this was not a problem when I said that I didn't think mine supported agm as it was just down to a translation error on my ep solar mppt. Is this correct?
Sorry to be such a numpty but want to work out if I'm being fed a pack of lies and need to use another company.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My charger supports gel but not agm. The chap at the battery company said this was not a problem when I said that I didn't think mine supported agm as it was just down to a translation error on my ep solar mppt. Is this correct?
Sorry to be such a numpty but want to work out if I'm being fed a pack of lies and need to use another company.
Without a proper AGM charger AGM's will have a very short life. The battery & charger manufacturers will tell you they are fine on the gel setting, they are not.
Even with the correct charger if your use is mainly off grid they still have a very short life.
To complicate it further there are AGM type 1 & type 2 both require diffent charge boltages.

IMO AGM are the worst possible choice for lesiure use.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If it doesn't say AGM it isn't suitable for AGM.
Looks to me like they sell batteries by any means.
My bench charger is suitable for lead/acid, gel and AGM..... if gel and AGM were the same why fit a 3 position selector switch capable of selecting AGM.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I've followed the advice from A&A and gone for Enhanced Flooded Batteries this time, the Yuasa L36-EFB. His last recommendation worked well for me, ask me in 5 years if the change was the right thing to do ;)

I've heard that the Halfords HLB7000 is the same battery as the Yuasa L36-EFB - can anyone confirm this?

I am a big fan of Yuasa & use them on my motorbikes & starter battery for the van

OP
OP
B
Jun 1, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On and off since 1990
@Lenny HB , @pappajohn , thank you so much. You have confirmed what I thought, they're trying to pull a fast one on me! Next job,cancel my appointment with them. I wont be getting agm's either!
Cheers (y)

NickandClair

Free Member
Apr 30, 2018
Taunton, Somerset
Funster No
MH
The Dark Side!!!!
Exp
Since 2001
I've heard that the Halfords HLB7000 is the same battery as the Yuasa L36-EFB - can anyone confirm this?

I am a big fan of Yuasa & use them on my motorbikes & starter battery for the van

This wouldn't surprise me as there is always a bit of "re-branding". You know what it's like in the bike industry with "Branded Chargers" and clothing :LOL::LOL:.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

It's the Halfords HLB-700 that is the exact same battery as the Yuasa L36-EFB. I think you added an extra zero by accident.

The L36-EFB costs £120 delivered from Alpha Batteries but if you add the word 'Facebook' to the code section on the order form then you'll get a 5% reduction.

The Halfords HLB-700 is £105 (collected) but if you have a Halfords trade account then you can get one for circa £86.

All the best,

Andrew

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Without a proper AGM charger AGM's will have a very short life. The battery & charger manufacturers will tell you they are fine on the gel setting, they are not.
Even with the correct charger if your use is mainly off grid they still have a very short life.
To complicate it further there are AGM type 1 & type 2 both require diffent charge voltages.

IMO AGM are the worst possible choice for lesiure use.

Interesting. To pour fuel on the fire this negative view of AGM's is backed up by A&N (as mentioned by some on here), often people of controversy are controversial, but that doesn't make them wrong about everything especially when backed up by references and logic (such as the lack of cooling in AGM due to lack of acid mobility).

http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/agm-batteries.php

It does appear as if AGM should be avoided.

Last edited:
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Oops

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.