Spain for the first time in a Wildax (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 3, 2018
Funster No
Hi
We would like to take our Wildax camper to Spain for 2 weeks in October. This will our first visit outwith the U.K. we have a small dog(which our vet has advised about travel for him) Have read about probable chaos at Dover. We live in Forfar Scotland. Can anyone advise regarding the ferry crossing and what to expect.

Thank you

Susan.

Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
1. If you've only got 2 weeks then a crossing Bilbao/Santander may be more advantageous. You arrive in Spain rested (hopefully, it is the Bay of Biscay) and raring to go...
2. Book early on a route to Spain, a pet-friendly cabin is a must (IMHO)

EDIT: Noticed that it's Oct this year, so no chance of PFC
(I've been looking at 2025 crossing for us, so was still in 'next year' mode, soz)

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Scotland to Spain (even the nearest bit) and back in two weeks doesn't sound like much of a holiday. Via Dover, two drivers and using toll roads makes it doable but hardly relaxing. I live fifteen minutes from the ferry but wouldn't consider Spain in less than three weeks as an absolute minimum. You live halfway to the North Pole!

OP
OP
Susan Beattie
Aug 3, 2018
Funster No
1. If you've only got 2 weeks then a crossing Bilbao/Santander may be more advantageous. You arrive in Spain rested (hopefully, it is the Bay of Biscay) and raring to go...
2. Book early on a route to Spain, a pet-friendly cabin is a must (IMHO)

EDIT: Noticed that it's Oct this year, so no chance of PFC
(I've been looking at 2025 crossing for us, so was still in 'next year' mode, soz)
Thank you, I really appreciate your reply.

OP
OP
Susan Beattie
Aug 3, 2018
Funster No
Scotland to Spain (even the nearest bit) and back in two weeks doesn't sound like much of a holiday. Via Dover, two drivers and using toll roads makes it doable but hardly relaxing. I live fifteen minutes from the ferry but wouldn't consider Spain in less than three weeks as an absolute minimum. You live halfway to the North Pole!
Thank you, it will be the first time for us, so I do appreciate your advice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
I sometimes do this sort of thing, but partially as a 'commute'. It is possible to cross into Calais, spend the night there, drive down from Calais to near the Pyrenees in one day and then to be in Spain early the next day. It is however a long drive along the toll roads at normal motorway speeds - doable in a PVC but not necessarily very relaxing.

The Portsmouth to Santander ferry, if that suits your timing, and if you can get tickets and a suitable cabin, will get you there in the same time frame - 1 day and 2 nights. It is more expensive but potentially more relaxing. I used to use the ferry but have now given up on it. It does get quite boring after a while :giggle:

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
We have just crossed to Santander. Inland Spain has much to offer and the roads in Spain are good and largely empty But even then and using the ferry, you will be driving a lot. The best thing about motorhoming is wandering as the fancy takes you, staying in random places for a few days and I’m not sure you are giving yourself much time for that.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back