Southern Spain winter campsite recommendations (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Hi
Were off to Spain in January and have booked a couple of sites near Valencia.
We also want to go further south along the coast searching for warmer weather. I don't think we want to go as far as Gibralter but maybe down towards Malaga.
Does anyone have any recommendations? We like to be pretty close to the sea and would quite like a promenade for walking and running.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Guy

OP
OP
G
Dec 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
😂 Already booked! We were a bit late to the party so only 3 weeks were available.

Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Kea 80
Exp
Happy to help
Bella vista near to Estepona at Puerto de La Duquesa on the beach a lovely site with restaurant and bar, a lovely promenade into the port and beyond.

IMG_2815.png

Jan 9, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
Exp
Since 2006
I travelled down the east coast of Spain in January this year. While having many nice sunny days, it was pretty cold due to the breeze off the sea. (7C in the shade at one site.) By February I was on the south coast near Motril and the weather felt much warmer. I think there were maybe 3 days with some rain over the 3 weeks with wall-to-wall sunshine the rest of the time. This was the best weather of the whole holiday so I was glad to remain in the area for a few weeks. Just remember your sun screen lotion. 👍
I stayed at Area 340 TC Costa Tropical at Torrenueva Costa for a week, and then nearby Camping Don Cactus for a further 2 weeks.
Area 340 is kinda basic but has toilets, showers (cold water only, I was told by another camper - so I used the van shower), washing and drying laundry machines, a dishwashing area, grey and black waste disposal and drinking water supplies. It is located in a sun trap about 100m from Torrenueva’s sea front, which has a selection of restaurants and bars.
Don Cactus is a self contained camp site with all the above facilities (including hot showers 😉) plus a mini market, restaurant and bar onsite. The beach is directly opposite the site entrance. There are no other shops, restaurants, houses, etc, immediately nearby, although there are villages within a mile or so of the site.
These sites are slightly to the east of Motril, which is roughly 100km (70 miles) to the east of Malaga, however, I found many other sites along this stretch of the southern coast of Spain by searching for “Camping sites” on Google Maps. I was booking sites as ‘last minute’ choices and I was fortunate to get into them. A lot of other places were booked up, so booking well in advance is probably advisable if you want to stay on sites. (I didn’t check out any off grid stops, but I did read that these were rammed, too.)
Hope this helps and … enjoy, you lucky people. 👍

Mar 12, 2021
Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Malvern
Exp
Since 1999
La Bella Vista. Right on the beach with lovely promenade to marina with all its bars and restaurants.
IMG_2806.jpeg
IMG_2804.jpeg

OP
OP
G
Dec 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Just booked a week at La Bella Vista, last pitch available. Will check out the other suggestions as we've got another 3 weeks that need filling.
Going to need to be quicker next year!
Thanks all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
The ACSI site on the prom at Motril is very nicely located for what you’re looking for, can’t remember its name. The prom is beautiful and a bus outside into the town which is very nice too.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Bonterra Resort reported to be fully booked in February and last two weeks of January. We got one week via CAMC .

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Going inland a little sometimes provides the availability...during wintertime the Spanish Costas Campsites are fairly full, as the other posts have shown..
Spanish tourism in general is booming and to some degree being overly subscribed...this has led to some form of resentment, but this is mainly in the bricks and mortar accommodation....
The wild camping elements have also caused problems, however new Camperstops are popping up in many locations, sometimes with only a limited lifespan, in our region alone I know of two such places that appeared, but were closed down by the authorities do to planning irregularities....
Being flexible on dates remains an advantage, everyone wants the main winter months, this is quite understandable..but from mid-march until late June remains a good time to come...no overcrowding and very good weather...

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
We went last winter and winged it, managed to get into a few sites when needed for laundry etc but mostly used free stops and followed the coast round, map below.
1000000205.jpg

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Looks great. That's a similar route that we want to take but will follow the west coast down to San Sebastion.
As it wasn't very cold we went thru somport on way out and bielsa home but if it were cold we would do the western route too, same next January.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We had a couple of weeks at Cabopino and wouldn’t go again. Most of the pitches are very shady. Fine in the summer but hopeless in March. Restaurant is nice but nowhere to walk other than backwards and forwards along the seafront. We did walk to Nerja one day. You have to get a bus to anywhere along the coast but they all look the same. I would imagine you really need to hire a car to explore inland to find anything Spanish or take the van.

People slag off Beni but Albir, Altea, Vilajoyosa are short hops away and oh so many others by bus or train.

That’s our 2nd trip to the Costa del Sol and we’re not fans. The other time was near Malaga. I did like the city. Mind you wouldn’t it be boring if we all liked the same things.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G
Dec 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Going inland a little sometimes provides the availability...during wintertime the Spanish Costas Campsites are fairly full, as the other posts have shown..
Spanish tourism in general is booming and to some degree being overly subscribed...this has led to some form of resentment, but this is mainly in the bricks and mortar accommodation....
The wild camping elements have also caused problems, however new Camperstops are popping up in many locations, sometimes with only a limited lifespan, in our region alone I know of two such places that appeared, but were closed down by the authorities do to planning irregularities....
Being flexible on dates remains an advantage, everyone wants the main winter months, this is quite understandable..but from mid-march until late June remains a good time to come...no overcrowding and very good weather...
Yes I think we are going to head up to Grenada area for a bit as we've heard it's amazing. Sounds like we should just wait until we get nearer to see where there's somewhere to stay.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
We're of to Spain in February for six weeks, will probably visit Los Alcázares, mainly 'cos we had an apartment near there many years ago.. other than that we'll probably move inland away from any crowds.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
We're of to Spain in February for six weeks, will probably visit Los Alcázares, mainly 'cos we had an apartment near there many years ago.. other than that we'll probably move inland away from any crowds.
Los Alcazares has a public Aire now,(since 2022) and also plenty parking space on the quiet roads from the ceased developments in and around the empty streets up towards la serena golf course.
Ive stayed a good few nights in and around there, no problems. you probably know the Tipsy Thistle pub/cafe/restaurant, but I can recommend it,
and within walking distance the "Venta El Puerto"

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Looking on Street View, it looks like a ghost town.
Yeh just on the outskirts it's quiet, and lots of places to park, right near the beach up that end too.
Each time I've been there have been between 6-15 dotted around in clusters.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back