Someone in Kent got a bargain (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
I’m feeling quite sad about this. Some friends of ours that lived in Hull up to a couple years ago, now in Lincolnshire just sold their Frankia motorhome all of a sudden on Gumtree for £15500.
I won’t use their names so, husband was diagnosed with dementia two years ago and is rapidly declining, wife finding it difficult she now has to do everything, make all the decisions and appears overwhelmed with it all. We only see them every 4-6 weeks now.
I estimate the motorhome is worth around £25-£30k, it’s a 2005 Fiat based A class Frankia in excellent well looked after condition.
I don’t blame the person from Kent who’s bought it, it was advertised and he’s paid the asking price getting a real bargain, I just hope it wasn’t a dealer and a private individual has benefited.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
That is really sad.

A real pity they did not ask you for advice and it in these situation is that brokers and honest dealers are worth every penny of their commission.

OP
OP
Hettie's Crew
Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Unfortunately the wife is making snap decisions about various things and her useless son is no help.
She was also inundated with people wanting it from the Gumtree advert, some offered more, a couple at £18500 but she stuck to the first that responded.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Unfortunately the wife is making snap decisions about various things and her useless son is no help.
Depending on their means it's the son who's losing out as long as they have sufficient for what they need themselves. It's difficult with families you don't always see the full picture of what's going on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Hettie's Crew
Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Depending on their means it's the son who's losing out as long as they have sufficient for what they need themselves. It's difficult with families you don't always see the full picture of what's going on.
That’s the really sad bit, they don’t have “sufficient for what they need” and sold it in an attempt to raise funds to move to a house that they feel will be better for the husbands needs.

May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
When i disposed of my parents we took silly money for it
The purchaser got a bargain
I knew what it was worth but wanted to get everything sorted quickly
Re my parent's VAN 😄, I sold theirs to the dealer they bought it ( and at least 8 other vans), they sold it the week after for 7K more. My folks were still with us but Dad had been stopped from driving due to dementia. They didn't want the hassle of buyers coming round etc.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Re my parent's VAN 😄, I sold theirs to the dealer they bought it ( and at least 8 other vans), they sold it the week after for 7K more. My folks were still with us but Dad had been stopped from driving due to dementia. They didn't want the hassle of buyers coming round etc.
I agree we wanted the estate settled, father died 2nd week of June probate, sold cars, house , junk, treasures , all sorted by November
mothers tea set that was sat in my garage went to charity shop this year (at last) fathers tools are still helping me out.

No regrets and certainly no guilt.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I agree we wanted the estate settled, father died 2nd week of June probate, sold cars, house , junk, treasures , all sorted by November
mothers tea set that was sat in my garage went to charity shop this year (at last) fathers tools are still helping me out.

No regrets and certainly no guilt.
It's really difficult clearing things out that meant so much to people the thing of my mums that I kept was a plastic whistle in the shape of a bird that you put water in and it sounds like.......a bird! I remember her having it when we were little. It's not all about money

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
When I buy at auction I think that the people who previously owned the goods would be pleased things were going to a home where they would be used and appreciated.

It makes me sad to see things in charity shops, still in boxes and obviously never used but kept for best. I have a lot of really good crystal glassware from charity shops.

OP
OP
Hettie's Crew
Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
This story gets worse, in spite of my warnings they got scammed by the damp scam when they came to collect the van and accepted £12500, with the buyer saying they would post on Gumtree etc about it being damp to warn others. It’s now on eBay at £28500.
I really can’t believe how some people are so open to these kind of scams. The useless son told his mother she’d be lucky to sell it if people knew it was damp. It isn’t damp and never has been.

This is the add from the conning b******ds

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I certify that all my selling activities will comply with all EU laws and regulations.

Pity he is a dodgy scamming buyer

Aug 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Sun Living S70 SC
Words fail me, any chance of linking to their advert and telling would be purchasers they had identified a damp issue?
They would then need to say there wasn’t damp and thus they had used “sharp practice” to purchase and thus not to be trusted.
I can’t think of anything else to suggest.
Can you post a question on e bay along the lines you had previously identified a damp issue?

Nov 4, 2022
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
Since 2005
Hettie's Crew

You could raise a report with e-bay:
1726418306355.png

Images and text policy
To make sure you're giving potential buyers an accurate representation of your items, and that you're not infringing on anyone else's content rights, you should write your own descriptions and use your own images, or use any that eBay offers to you from the eBay catalogue.

Aug 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Sun Living S70 SC
I contacted the seller, and stated I understood they had identified damp and did they offer a guarantee.
Their response, I must have mixed them up with somebody else.
I responded that I understood they had told the private seller when they purchased it they had identified damp and it was unlikely to sell.
Their response, they bought it through the trade.
Who knows? I’m not sure I would trust them but what do I know?

OP
OP
Hettie's Crew
Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Hettie's Crew

You could raise a report with e-bay:
View attachment 950441

Images and text policy
To make sure you're giving potential buyers an accurate representation of your items, and that you're not infringing on anyone else's content rights, you should write your own descriptions and use your own images, or use any that eBay offers to you from the eBay catalogue.
I’ll pass that on to my friends, Thanks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back