Solar panels - portable - flexible - tilting - brain overload... (1 Viewer)

Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
Motorhoming since 2011 - now returning after a long break!
Our 2008 van was purchased with solar panels on it (fixed on a frame) so replacement seems on the cards as their history and provenance is in doubt - so after much research on fixed vs. tilting vs. flexible vs. portable I am, as ever seeing real-time, real-experience advice from MHFunners.
Am I right to be worried about the added weight of a tilting mechanism? To tilt - does that require poking an arm out of the hatch and pushing the thing up - or something cleverer than that?
Portable - is there a security issue or does everyone position them on the roof of the van and they are safe up there? Is there some sort of security locking mechanism to attach them to the van?
Flexible - are they, in reality, value for money? Effective? Robust? Presumably they require an air-gap beneath them to avoid over-heating in full sun if they are on the roof, so is there a frame to be fitted (which I, for some reason, cannot find)?
Thank you in advance for all and any advice and explanations of your experience

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
firstly, have you checked the output? all panels lose some after a while but then it settles down. make sure they are clean and connections are good. the type of controller can make a difference, MPPT is the best type.
tilting will make a difference BUT its a faf as you need to ensure youre parked in the right orientation, tilting works best on a portable/folding panel as you can keep repositioning it to track the sun.
ive not heard of a folding panel being stolen, but i am sure its happened to someone....!!
i personally wouldnt have a flexible panel that has been stuck down onto the motorhome as they seem to fail after a few years. if the panel is however stuck to something that allows air to pass under and then fixed to the motorhome, that might work, but then its just a standard panel, so why bother? There will in time be a flexible panel that wont have those issues, but until then .....

unless your existing panel is damaged or wiring compromised, i wouldnt remove it, just add additional panels!

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Regrettably theft of any portable panel is a risk, especially on locations that are easily accessible. I know of one caravaner who had one taken in seconds from one of the new forest sites, they simply cut the cable and ran. But most who use the folding portable panels will have them on ground so best option will be deterrent of a bit of chain, and ideally linked to an alarm, such as the accessory loop of the Vanbitz system.

Panels fixed to flat roof are secure but will only maximise output in mid of day if flat. Tilting is ideal but inevitably you won't be pitched the right way for a panel mounted with fixed hinge side, so it gets complex. Leave the tilting for the ground panels you can move. On roof go for the framed panels, that have air gap under, flexible panels stuck to roof often fail.

MPPT type solar contollers work best for UK conditions. Buy reputable brand which usually has settings for different battery types such as lithium. Victron smartsolar has Bluetooth so can be monitored and adjusted via smartphone app.

OP
OP
H
Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
Regrettably theft of any portable panel is a risk, especially on locations that are easily accessible. I know of one caravaner who had one taken in seconds from one of the new forest sites, they simply cut the cable and ran. But most who use the folding portable panels will have them on ground so best option will be deterrent of a bit of chain, and ideally linked to an alarm, such as the accessory loop of the Vanbitz system.

Panels fixed to flat roof are secure but will only maximise output in mid of day if flat. Tilting is ideal but inevitably you won't be pitched the right way for a panel mounted with fixed hinge side, so it gets complex. Leave the tilting for the ground panels you can move. On roof go for the framed panels, that have air gap under, flexible panels stuck to roof often fail.

MPPT type solar contollers work best for UK conditions. Buy reputable brand which usually has settings for different battery types such as lithium. Victron smartsolar has Bluetooth so can be monitored and adjusted via smartphone app.
Useful info, thank you. We had the Victron kit on a boat so will go with that.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
What output are you going for? For years I had a 150w fixed panel and split controller for leisure & starter batteries. That never let me down even through the darkest winter months. Both batteries always 100%. I’ve recently changed the van and now have a 80w panel. In the same conditions it isn’t up to the job.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
H
Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
What output are you going for? For years I had a 150w fixed panel and split controller for leisure & starter batteries. That never let me down even through the darkest winter months. Both batteries always 100%. I’ve recently changed the van and now have a 80w panel. In the same conditions it isn’t up to the job.
Good question! The plan is to switch to a compressor fridge and lithium leisure battery(ies) so we presumably will need at least a 150w panel? Perhaps 200w? Plus the Victron MPPT kit and whatever else is advised....Or is that over-egging the pudding somewhat? I know this isn't universally agreed with, but trying to minimise use of gas.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
Can you slide your phone underneath while videoing? You may be able to see the panel details.

Unlikely to be cost effective replacing it if you have room for another panel as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back