Solar doesn’t seem to be charging (1 Viewer)

Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, AS Winchcombe
Exp
since 2013
Hi all, maybe somebody here can help.
We have a 120w solar panel that is running through the Sargent EC500 unit and are currently in Spain in glorious sunshine, sometimes it shows on the panel that it is charging - earlier when it was still a bit dull it was showing that it was putting a bit of charge in. Just now, the panel has started beeping showing vehicle and leisure battery are just on 12v so showing as low. Solar charge is showing nothing going in. Yesterday it was putting 3 to 3.5 amps in. We are running very little - fridge is on gas, heating also on gas. Occasional charging of iPad or iPhone only plus the usual - growler when leaving the van.

Anyone know what I should check to find out why it is showing on panel as no solar going in. Not sure if panel is faulty as despite showing low, van starts up perfectly without struggle. Any help appreciated.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Have you got or can borrow voltmeter? You need to start at the wires coming from the panel and see if there is any voltage - it should be around 18 to 22 volts. Also find and check any leds there may be on the solar controller. These might give a clue as to what is or is not happening. A photo of the controller would help enormously. There should be a fuse somewhere - we've lost solar charging when this blew.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hel999
Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2013
This is the photo of the panel currently
image.jpg
And this is the current weather
image.jpg

We are just checking fuses now. Have got a neighbouring Motorhomer with a volt meter, just need to work out how to get on roof now

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
If you can get at the solar controller try checking input and output voltage on that. It might save the problem of getting on the roof.
Providing there is a separate controller they are usually tucked away in a locker somewhere.

Richard.

OP
OP
Hel999
Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2013
We don’t have a separate mppt controller. It all runs through the EC500. It originally had a 30w panel on the roof but this was replaced for a 120w panel just after we got the van. The original wires were used and the panels were simply swapped over. It seems to be intermittently working.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There may not be anywhere on the roof you can measure the panel voltage - the terminals will probably be on the underside of the panel and inaccessible if the panel is stuck on with Sikaflex.

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
Have you tried rebooting your panel to eliminate that could be at fault.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
If you go on the Sargent website you can download the manuals for your EC500 and your display panel and it will tell you how to recalibrate your panel and how to set it for your personal use.

John.

OP
OP
Hel999
Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2013
All sorted, thankyou for all suggestions. Once again the Motorhome community has proved how good it is. An elderly Dutch couple in the Motorhome next to us asked us what was wrong and the husband was a retired electrical engineer and they had a ladder they lent us. The Scottish couple on the other side lent us a voltage tester and together we all got together and searched out the problem. Loose connection on the roof, now all sorted. I love this life and the old fashioned sense of togetherness it brings.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
All sorted, thankyou for all suggestions. Once again the Motorhome community has proved how good it is. An elderly Dutch couple in the Motorhome next to us asked us what was wrong and the husband was a retired electrical engineer and they had a ladder they lent us. The Scottish couple on the other side lent us a voltage tester and together we all got together and searched out the problem. Loose connection on the roof, now all sorted. I love this life and the old fashioned sense of togetherness it brings.
Brilliant. Well done Team Motorhome.

Richard.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
(y)

Glad your sorted,,, Worth noting to all motorhomers, a £5-10 Multimeter is worth carrying in the tool box. Even if you can't use it someone you meet may be able to show you or as on here someone can advise you..

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Great that you found a simple but what could have been an unfathamble problem,loose connection,however,though I’m sure you’re aware the Sun is so low at this time of year and the days are are so short the input through the solars is very limited and must be considered when off grid/ehu

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
(y)

Glad your sorted,,, Worth noting to all motorhomers, a £5-10 Multimeter is worth carrying in the tool box. Even if you can't use it someone you meet may be able to show you or as on here someone can advise you..
And don't forget the ladder.:D2
Yes I do carry one.:)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
And don't forget the ladder.:D2
Yes I do carry one.:)

I have a fold up step ladder, If only I had a beer off every motorhomer that has borrowed it.. ;):D
To short for the roof so i leave that to the show offs.. :whistle: :rofl:

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
I have the same ladder, got it to do jobs on the roof at home, looks like I will now have to find a place for it when traveling. (n)
I have the same ladder, got it to do jobs on the roof at home, looks like I will now have to find a place for it when traveling. (n)

Found a place quite easily, love the back being partitioned off.
20190115_123831.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back