Snow free route through France to Roses Spain in January? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Had a quick search and can't find a thread that discusses this. Please point me to it if there is one.
My thoughts Newhaven - Dieppe then Limoges or Bordeaux across to Toulouse - Perpignan then A9 or coast road.
Not in a particular rush but 2 or 3 complete days driving.
Please advise
TIA
Bern

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Are you thinking of staying in Roses ?? If so check campsites are open also the weather, not really warm that far up in January.

Oct 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Not so new now
We went last January via the tunnel then broadly Riems, Dijon, Avignon, Montpellier, Perpignan. Wanted to visit Champagne and Beaujolais on the way. Very straightforward. Roses is fine for a couple of days, we didn’t like Camping Jonca Mar but apparently there’s a relatively new aire in the town.

Nov 19, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I578
Exp
since 2012
If you don’t have a specific reason to visit Roses then I’d go Rouen, Poitiers, Bordeaux, Irun, Zaragoza then Valencia to head south along the coast where the weather is so much better.
Another vote for this. Down to Valencia via Spanish toll-free roads and then left or right when you hit the coast.

Terry

OP
OP
berni109
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
I suppose a careful look at the weather forecast when I get to Bordeaux might allow Irun Zaragoza but then I will have to get some snow chains to be legal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 19, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I578
Exp
since 2012
We've travelled that route many times between November and March and never had a weather issue, farmers blocking the road 🤣 but not weather. We never carry chains.

Terry

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I suppose a careful look at the weather forecast when I get to Bordeaux might allow Irun Zaragoza but then I will have to get some snow chains to be legal.
I wouldnt be too concerned if you stick to the motorways. The snowchain/4 season tyres thing is the latest version of alcotesters and there arent enough gendarmes to enforce it.

I would be going either of the eastern routes from Rouen and keeping an eye on the weather to see whether I could get away with Somport. Argree with whoever said cut south at Zaragoza.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Are you sure you actually require the snow chains/winter tyres crossing the Pyrenees at Irun, which is almost sea level, and then heading down to Zaragoza. I’ve never driven it in winter but didn’t think I was at high altitudes when I’ve done it that way. Felt nothing like going via Somport or St Jean pass

DandJ

Free Member
Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
I'd not do Dieppe - Bordeaux - Toulouse - Perpignan...1168km....I'd do Dieppe - Limoges - Perpignan...1068km and 1 hr less travelling (Taking 2 days I'd also look at skipping a couple of the toll sections of the autoroute)

My understanding from last Winter was that all the Pyrenean departments required winter tyres or snow chains or socks. So any route across would require you to carry a pair (snow socks are about £30 a pair, weigh a few ounces and take up little space...why have the worry of 'Oooh, will I get stopped', just buy a pair)

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
We did that run this year no problems. Will do the same again in January as well. Stopped at Dax Aire forecast was clear and drove to Zaragoza via Irun as it's quite low level so avoiding snow. We had no issues.
decided on Somport tunnel for return.

If you don't have winter tyres you will need snow chains to be legal anyway. We don't have winter tyres so I just bought a decent set of chains. Making sure they are suitable for large vehicle. Cheap car one's are no good. We bought Konig 16mm one's

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
OK if this year was anything to go by Head to Hendaye /Hondarriba then we go Beriozar -Zaragoza- Teruel- Valencia then head to Alicante sunny all the way

2023 we met snow showers on the roads heading home in February but didn't need snow chains even though South of Zaragoza the wind chill froze the screenwash on the wiper blades

there's no guaranteed route that could be snow free , then there's fog and wind to cope with on all the high Sierra routes too

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Are you sure you actually require the snow chains/winter tyres crossing the Pyrenees at Irun, which is almost sea level, and then heading down to Zaragoza. I’ve never driven it in winter but didn’t think I was at high altitudes when I’ve done it that way. Felt nothing like going via Somport or St Jean pass
I'm pretty sure the Op and others are referring to the latest nonsense from the French Government that has decreed that certain departments require you to have either 4 season tyres or snowchains/socks to drive in them in the winter months.

Unfortunately the departments werent setup with this in mind so you have the crazy situation with 64 that includes the A63 between Bordeaux and Irun and very rarely gets snow that you actually use snow chains on.

This is not a problem for your average Frenchman who would take a pragmatic view, it is however a problem for many brits who seem convinced that there will be an army of gendarmes waiting at all points en route to run an inventory of their motorhome and fridge contents.

DandJ

Free Member
Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Unfortunately the departments werent setup with this in mind so you have the crazy situation with 64 that includes the A63 between Bordeaux and Irun and very rarely gets snow that you actually use snow chains on.
An alternate way to look at this is that if only us Brits all carried a pair of snow socks (or had all season tyres)...maybe there wouldn't be the annual 12 hr overnight traffic jam when an inch of snow falls on the A1, A30 or anywhere else in Britain.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
An alternate way to look at this is that if only us Brits all carried a pair of snow socks (or had all season tyres)...maybe there wouldn't be the annual 12 hr overnight traffic jam when an inch of snow falls on the A1, A30 or anywhere else in Britain.
Snow chains are only any use in hard packed snow, otherwise they will hack the roads to pieces.

4 seasons tyres are a good idea but then again driver retesting would address a lot more issues

Nov 5, 2017
Buckinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Select 164
Had a quick search and can't find a thread that discusses this. Please point me to it if there is one.
My thoughts Newhaven - Dieppe then Limoges or Bordeaux across to Toulouse - Perpignan then A9 or coast road.
Not in a particular rush but 2 or 3 complete days driving.
Please advise
TIA
Bern
Rouen - Evreux-Dreux-Chartres-Orleans- Vierzon-Limoges-Toulouse-Perpignan-Cross into Spain on A7. Use this route every year to Alicante Area of Spain. Never had any issues ever Obviously this is the direction you won't be going into these towns. The N154 is mainly Dual carriageway from Rouen to the Motorway at Orleans..

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi

Snow chains are a must in France too. You'll be fined if you don't have them in the boot!!!!! Every year from 1st of November till the 30th of March

DandJ

Free Member
Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet

Snow chains are only any use in hard packed snow, otherwise they will hack the roads to pieces.

4 seasons tyres are a good idea but then again driver retesting would address a lot more issues
Yes, they are....snow socks (which is what I actually put) may just get you out of a sticky situation and may just mean a dual carriageway or motorway doesn't become gridlocked for hours/overnight. People are stupid tho.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Hi

Snow chains are a must in France too. You'll be fined if you don't have them in the boot!!!!! Every year from 1st of November till the 30th of March

This is the problem, that its done by department of which 64 is included, which the bit that most of use does ot get affected.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Yes, they are....snow socks (which is what I actually put) may just get you out of a sticky situation and may just mean a dual carriageway or motorway doesn't become gridlocked for hours/overnight. People are stupid tho.
Apologies I thought you put chains.
Although neither would help the average brit on 1 inch of snow :)

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I'll defend the Brits on this as the French are no better from what I've seen.

We got off the ferry last January and parked in the aire at Falaise. We woke up to 8 inches of snow.

We have a 180bhp auto VW crafter fairly new to us with summer tyres. I have snow chains but decided to try the road first and as Falaise is in a dip it required going up quite a steep road out.

The French had absolutely no idea how to drive on snow either. Cars absolutely everywhere. Mostly bad driving.
Yet the Crafter with summer tyres picked its way through beautifully passing stranded cars on hills with ease.

Driven properly reading the road ahead and with thought the chains were not required. 10 minutes on an empty car park ( nobody around ) skidding around to get the feel of the van in snow before always helps.

Chains are not required in that department

DandJ

Free Member
Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
I'll defend the Brits on this as the French are no better from what I've seen.

We got off the ferry last January and parked in the aire at Falaise. We woke up to 8 inches of snow.

We have a 180bhp auto VW crafter fairly new to us with summer tyres. I have snow chains but decided to try the road first and as Falaise is in a dip it required going up quite a steep road out.

The French had absolutely no idea how to drive on snow either. Cars absolutely everywhere. Mostly bad driving.
Yet the Crafter with summer tyres picked its way through beautifully passing stranded cars on hills with ease.

Driven properly reading the road ahead and with thought the chains were not required. 10 minutes on an empty car park ( nobody around ) skidding around to get the feel of the van in snow before always helps.

Chains are not required by me in that department
Fixed that for you. I don't think I've ever said the french are snow driving gods....around me, the roads are deserted when it snows..people stay at home (Unlike my youth when the first flake of snow meant out we went learning skids and stuff....and quickly sussing how slippery snow is and by trial and error, learning how to drive in it)
If a pair of snow socks allows a crap driver to move their vehicle off a main route and keep the main route flowing..then I'm all for it (The caveat being that most drivers are morons and will buy a pair of socks or chains and shove them in the boot, not try them on and suss out how they work so when the snow falls and they need them...they flounder in the cold wet darkness of the roadside and still block the road)

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Fixed that for you. I don't think I've ever said the french are snow driving gods....around me, the roads are deserted when it snows..people stay at home (Unlike my youth when the first flake of snow meant out we went learning skids and stuff....and quickly sussing how slippery snow is and by trial and error, learning how to drive in it)
If a pair of snow socks allows a crap driver to move their vehicle off a main route and keep the main route flowing..then I'm all for it (The caveat being that most drivers are morons and will buy a pair of socks or chains and shove them in the boot, not try them on and suss out how they work so when the snow falls and they need them...they flounder in the cold wet darkness of the roadside and still block the road)

No you didn't say they were driving gods but you pointed the finger at Brits who I defended. Also you have no need to correct what I said as if you had checked snow chains are not required in that department. As I said. (y)

I've uploaded a map where they are required. It's the blue bits if this helps. :giggle:

080938F0-9FC1-433A-869C-01D2EA555370.jpeg

OP
OP
berni109
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
To cross the Pyrenees in winter anywhere from France to Spain and be legal chains are a necessity.
Anyone wanting to sell a set for 15" wheeled ducato?

DandJ

Free Member
Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Chains or Socks ! Both can be had for £40 new (hopefully someone will have a pair they can sell you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back