Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
Is the snipe Sat dish still relevant in todays internet world?
I’ve never had a tv in any of my vans so know nothing about getting tv.
I take it I need the dish, a receiver box and a tele?
It’s for tele when in Europe mainly 👍😁🤪

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
For UK I think satellite is still a good option but if travelling in Europe further south than Bordeaux and streaming setup is required.
We have a satellite dome and Humax Freesat box and a Firestick, oh and a TV🤣
Saying that we’ve just done a months tour in Uk and streamed tv mostly, mainly because satellite tv was full of sport and it probably saves a bit of battery juice not having Humax box powered

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gingernuts
Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
For UK I think satellite is still a good option but if travelling in Europe further south than Bordeaux and streaming setup is required.
We have a satellite dome and Humax Freesat box and a Firestick, oh and a TV🤣
Saying that we’ve just done a months tour in Uk and streamed tv mostly, mainly because satellite tv was full of sport and it probably saves a bit of battery juice not having Humax box powered
Thank you for that 👍😁
Being an oldie what is streaming tv?

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Streaming is watching stuff through the internet with something like a Firestick connected to your tv, using either your mobile phone or in my case a MiFI ( I have unlimited ee sim in mifi or local sim when in eu)
Bear in mind streaming can use a fair bit of data, 1gb per hour or more for some apps

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We've got a Snipe 2 on our motorhome (2nd user from another Funster!) and use it all the time.

We've also got the original factory fitted terrestrial Status TV aerial but have never used it in, probably, 3-4 years.

Just recently upgraded our Huawei MiFi unit to a ZTE unit (same as Manic ) and have a 500Gb / month data sim card but haven't really used it in earnest as yet as we find it easier to use the Snipe (just like being at home with similar programme guide, etc).

Our Cello TV has both terrestrial and satellite TV tuners built in so no other external box required however have also used a Manhattan SX external satellite tuner previously.

We'll probably start streaming if we start watching a series at home and want to carry on when away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Had sat dishes on the last 3 vans not bothered on this van even on the last van hardly used it the last few years.
The cost of a sat system buys an awful lot of data.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
I fitted a Snipe 2 dish less than 2 months ago on my Motorhome and think it is the cats whiskers :)
I know you get a lot of people saying Streaming is the way to go, and in the Motorhome I have a Firestick on the TV, plus a Mini-PC connected to the TV which I can use for Sky TV as well as the usual Apps on Tablets, all connecting to the dedicated Motorhome Router, but I much prefer to watch Broadcast TV if watching 'regular' programs and would use the Aerial for that, and now the Snipe.

Also, as far as streaming goes, when you are in Europe and limited to a pretty low amount of data when roaming, streaming TV would not last very long at all would it? No TV after day 3 each month :D

Upvote 0
May 19, 2018
Funster No
I bought a snipe 2 in 2016. It's been on 2 vans now and still going strong. Amortised out at around £85 per year now. The only difficulty I foresee is getting a new base plate if we change vans again because these are no longer officially sold as they don't advise putting them on the roof any more.
I've found that I'm nearly always in sight of the sky, but quite often in places with no phone signal.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back