Small van, small essentials? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 26, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay PVC
Exp
Since 2010 but ltd experience.
I've had a good look at the 'search' option but I think I'm pretty hopeless at narrowing it down. 🙄
A new small van, have you any recommended essentials?
I have absolutely nothing and very little storage so any suggestions welcome!
Shall I start?...a corkscrew? 😬😏

OP
OP
Krazykate
Feb 26, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay PVC
Exp
I'd add 8" chef's knife, small veg knife & bread knife. Only 'cooking' knives you need.

Ikea do excellent ones - add their stacking mugs for a good cup of tea...
Exactly what I have on my list. Things are getter smaller and have ten uses now! 🤣

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
Timberland Endeavour
Not cheap, but I have one of these hoses which folds up into a small plastic box with extra accessories I carry eg different fittings for taps etc

If you look at the reviews for these hoses- not good many complaining they burst- Mine has just done the same so a trip to B@Q to get another or refund.
Dave

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Krazykate
Feb 26, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay PVC
Exp
I drink tank water and don't get stomach upsets either.
Good to hear someone has a good constitution!
I think as long as I whoosh through the system regularly it will be fine. 👍🏻
If you look at the reviews for these hoses- not good many complaining they burst- Mine has just done the same so a trip to B@Q to get another or refund.
Dave
Thanks for that, will keep looking, thank you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Dave
That’s bad luck. I’ve had one for a few years and it’s still going strong.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Any new hose will do for filling the tank, you don’t need a food one.
We have a 5ltr water can for drinking & tea.
You can find collapsible just about anything nowadays, bucket, washing up bowl, colander. Fold up pot stand.
I couldn’t find plastic cooking spoons, solid and slotted, that weren’t a mile long so hubby cut them down to a suitable length.
Try to find stuff that will do several jobs.
Travel towels (mountain warehouse) dry very quickly & are not as bulky and heavy as towelling ones.

Upvote 0

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
Citron Relay, East Neuk Convertion 5.4mt. Theres a tiny fridge in at the moment and I would like to put in a large compressor fridge so reducing storage further.

you will be amazed at just how much you can stow away in a citroen relay..
when i had mine and had to empty it to give to my daughter, the essential and personal gubbins that i took out, it nigh on filled the shed up and a large corner of my lounge..
but then, i am a squirrel and hoarder and seemed to take nigh on everything i thought i needed bar the kitchen sink...well, thats because there was a sink already in there..

the most essential things to take, kettle, tea bags, wine to share and a very big smile and sense of humour, you can't go wrong then..

wishing you a long and happy motorhoming life..

Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
Skip corkscrews, wine comes in screwtop bottles nowadays 😊
Apart from towel & toiletries, bedding (best lightweight duvet your bugdet allows & a fitted fleece underblanket is our favourite) saucepan, frying pan, kettle, your favourite six utensils and some washing-up liquid you only need a torch & an umbrella.

Everything else you get when you feel overcome with desire.

That's what we did & don't regret it! Take your time, there is far too much sparkly stuff begging to have money spent on it and a few too many Hyacinth Buckets trying to keep up. Not worth the stress.

I've had a good look at the 'search' option but I think I'm pretty hopeless at narrowing it down. 🙄
A new small van, have you any recommended essentials?
I have absolutely nothing and very little storage so any suggestions welcome!
Shall I start?...a corkscrew? 😬😏

Upvote 0
Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
2yrs in & over 20% of nights 'out'
Skip corkscrews, wine comes in screwtop bottles nowadays
Please, please do take a corkscrew/waiters' friend (incorporating bottle opener)...

It's really only in UK (eg. Tesco) where screw-top is considered appropriate. Certainly not seen one in France or Spain that contained wine I'd be prepared to drink! ;) 🍷

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
A decent knife! An absolutely essential essential!

I have one of these serrated utility knives in the van, and another (older) one in the house. They're brilliant for prepping practically anything. I bought my first when in my pre-van days, while staying at a holiday cottage whose idea of a sharp knife was something akin to a butter knife. I still use it almost daily and it must be 14 or 15 years old now. So I got another one to keep in the van. It's good enough for bread too, if you like rolls, cob loaves or bloomers. If you like regular 'tin loafs' you'll probably also need a bread knife as I find the utility knife isn't long enough for them.

I discovered I'd need a bottle opener after I'd had the van about a year!

I also have duplicates of my phone charger and iPad cables, plus 12v USB adaptors which permanently live in the van. That way I can't get four hours from home and realise I can't charge either item...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Krazykate
Feb 26, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay PVC
Exp
Any new hose will do for filling the tank, you don’t need a food one.
We have a 5ltr water can for drinking & tea.
You can find collapsible just about anything nowadays, bucket, washing up bowl, colander. Fold up pot stand.
I couldn’t find plastic cooking spoons, solid and slotted, that weren’t a mile long so hubby cut them down to a suitable length.
Try to find stuff that will do several jobs.
Travel towels (mountain warehouse) dry very quickly & are not as bulky and heavy as towelling ones.
Hi early bird!
I was just thinking about short utensils last night. Feel a bit of sawing coming on!
I have the towels much to my OHs disgust 😆
Have a nice day.
Apart from towel & toiletries, bedding (best lightweight duvet your bugdet allows & a fitted fleece underblanket is our favourite) saucepan, frying pan, kettle, your favourite six utensils and some washing-up liquid you only need a torch & an umbrella.

That's what we did & don't regret it! Take your time, there is far too much sparkly stuff begging to have money spent on it and a few too many Hyacinth Buckets trying to keep up. Not worth the stress.
😆 Too true, However , a couple of Duvalays did jump into the basket! 😱

Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
Please, please do take a corkscrew/waiters' friend (incorporating bottle opener)...

It's really only in UK (eg. Tesco) where screw-top is considered appropriate. Certainly not seen one in France or Spain that contained wine I'd be prepared to drink! ;) 🍷
Wow, good info thanks. But who knew we were more advanced that the europeans. I was led to believe the move away from cork bottle-stoppers was an environment issue, is that incorrect?

Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
😆 Too true, However , a couple of Duvalays did jump into the basket! 😱
I cannot understand duvalays. My brother & his wife have them & tried to persuade us but really, how are they better than a sleeping bag with a full-length zip that's not fastened?? 🤔

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Krazykate
Feb 26, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay PVC
Exp
I cannot understand duvalays. My brother & his wife have them & tried to persuade us but really, how are they better than a sleeping bag with a full-length zip that's not fastened?? 🤔
I suppose you don't know til you've slept on one! All I know is if you see forums and speak to people in general they rave about them

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
I suppose you don't know til you've slept on one! All I know is if you see forums and speak to people in general they rave about them

I resisted getting a Duvalay for ages because I just could not see the point of attaching the sleeping bag to a lump of memory foam, and in my previous van it would have been a real pain to try to roll it up for storage.

When I changed to the VW it was instantly obvious that without a decent foam topper I was not going to sleep well so I bought a Duvalay “VW Shaped” topper and can truly say I sleep better in this van than ANY other RV previously (and there have been a few). Yes it takes up half the space behind the seat during the day but decent sleep is priceless and I would not now be without it.

edit to add: when I ordered mine I phoned the company to check which thicknesses would be best. As I like a softer mattress I assumed I would need the thickest topper. wrong. The thicker ones are for larger people whose weight will compress the product more . . . so as I am a skinny thing I got the regular one and it’s bloomin’ brilliant.

Upvote 0
Mar 9, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E412
Exp
Since 2007
Cork is fully sustainable & environmentally friendly [...] 100% natural, renewable and recyclable.

At least according to this supplier
Yebbut - cork engenders a 10% waste of bottled wine due to mould inherent in the cork - that’s why you should smell it before pouring. The French (and moreso the Portuguese) have a hard time accepting that screw-tops make a better seal.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Krazykate
Feb 26, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay PVC
Exp
I resisted getting a Duvalay for ages because I just could not see the point of attaching the sleeping bag to a lump of memory foam, and in my previous van it would have been a real pain to try to roll it up for storage.

When I changed to the VW it was instantly obvious that without a decent foam topper I was not going to sleep well so I bought a Duvalay “VW Shaped” topper and can truly say I sleep better in this van than ANY other RV previously (and there have been a few). Yes it takes up half the space behind the seat during the day but decent sleep is priceless and I would not now be without it.

edit to add: when I ordered mine I phoned the company to check which thicknesses would be best. As I like a softer mattress I assumed I would need the thickest topper. wrong. The thicker ones are for larger people whose weight will compress the product more . . . so as I am a skinny thing I got the regular one and it’s bloomin’ brilliant.
I've hardly any storage and don't usually put things in the loo, but that's the plan!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Krazykate
Feb 26, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay PVC
Exp
Yebbut - cork engenders a 10% waste of bottled wine due to mould inherent in the cork - that’s why you should smell it before pouring. The French (and moreso the Portuguese) have a hard time accepting that screw-tops make a better seal.
Both make that beautiful soft glug, glug sound when you are pouring that smooth, full bodied liquid into a glass to the same level. 😆🍷

Upvote 0
May 2, 2024
Monmouthshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Trekker
Exp
Since 2022

We’ve actually found that in France, surprisingly, some of the boxed wine is very acceptable, no corkscrew required and there is more of it :cool: I would however only apply this logic to chilled wine of the white variety.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
If you're worried carry some decent plastic bottles for your drinking water and just use the tank water for everything else. We've been doing this for 20+ years and never suffered any tummy upset.

We do this because the 0.5l bottles are handy to keep cold in the fridge. Refill them from the very cheap 5.0l or 6.0l large containers available from European supermarkets using a pump like this:

Ignore the price as they can be sourced from the same supermarkets or Chinese shops in Spain for much less.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New to motorhomes, had a camper van before this.

I so misread that...

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
You can get the topper without the sleeping bag. We have them but I have to confess we don’t like them and have gone back to just having a double quilt on the bottom. One of many expensive mistakes!

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Citron Relay, East Neuk Convertion 5.4mt. Theres a tiny fridge in at the moment and I would like to put in a large compressor fridge so reducing storage further.
We've got a Fifer M too, I thought they were all fitted with compressor fridges, mine has one (isotherm) in the space below the wardrobe, its more than big enough for the two of us.

Check out Night Owls, a bit like a sleeping bag duvet, we have 2 that roll up and store nicely in the overhead locker with room to spare, they can zip together as a double if req'd.

Pete

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back