Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 26, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay PVC
Exp
Since 2010 but ltd experience.
I've had a good look at the 'search' option but I think I'm pretty hopeless at narrowing it down. 🙄
A new small van, have you any recommended essentials?
I have absolutely nothing and very little storage so any suggestions welcome!
Shall I start?...a corkscrew? 😬😏

Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
I've had a good look at the 'search' option but I think I'm pretty hopeless at narrowing it down. 🙄
What van do you have ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Krazykate
Feb 26, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay PVC
Exp
What van do you have ?
Citron Relay, East Neuk Convertion 5.4mt. Theres a tiny fridge in at the moment and I would like to put in a large compressor fridge so reducing storage further.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
You need a repair kit box. Figure out where you'll stash it, then get an appropriate sized container. Fill it with tools like a compact screwdriver set, sockets, pliers, multimeter, torch. Then basic spares like fuses, cable ties, super glue, duct tape. Scale for the space available.

Upvote 0

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Beer/wine/other alcohol of choice
Food & snacks
Glasses
Crockery
Cutlery
Saucepan/frying pan
Basic kitchen implements - cutting knife, board, slice thing, tin opener, corkscrew, etc
Bedding
Clothing inc waterproofs and shoes

After that It becomes more optional, and may depend on your type of camping use
Outside chair / table
Windbreak /awning
Tools / spares
Bucket / watering can / hose for fresh water top off and waste
BBQ / outside grille thingy

Top tip is to start using the van, see how you use it and then only add it as you find a need. Be ruthless as many carry stuff just in case and never ever deploy it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Krazykate
Feb 26, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay PVC
Exp
You need a repair kit box. Figure out where you'll stash it, then get an appropriate sized container. Fill it with tools like a compact screwdriver set, sockets, pliers, multimeter, torch. Then basic spares like fuses, cable ties, super glue, duct tape. Scale for the space available.
We're on the same wavelength Guigsy, I popped that further up.
It's a small tube of silicon that doesn't need a gun I was looking for.

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Take anything you think.you need from the house .your not there to use it.
Then if you need to double up.
How many plates and mugs knives and forks do you need. Bet you have more than enough at home.

It's very easy to overspend on unnecessary stuff.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Krazykate
Feb 26, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay PVC
Exp
Beer/wine/other alcohol of choice
Food & snacks
Glasses
Crockery
Cutlery
Saucepan/frying pan
Basic kitchen implements - cutting knife, board, slice thing, tin opener, corkscrew, etc
Bedding
Clothing inc waterproofs and shoes

After that It becomes more optional, and may depend on your type of camping use
Outside chair / table
Windbreak /awning
Tools / spares
Bucket / watering can / hose for fresh water top off and waste
BBQ / outside grille thingy

Top tip is to start using the van, see how you use it and then only add it as you find a need. Be ruthless as many carry stuff just in case and never ever deploy it.
I've just cut and paste that into my phone list. Thanks so much. It's been a bit of a bumpy sad time here so my brain not quite with it yet......need a van ☺️

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
We're on the same wavelength Guigsy, I popped that further up.
It's a small tube of silicon that doesn't need a gun I was looking for.
I had a 5.4m Ducato. Managed to squeeze in a pair of Bromptons under the bed. So my toolkit included some bike maintenance kit too. One of my spendy upgrades was an underslung gas tank, which meant I could repurpose the gas locker. If I were to do it again today, I'd go diesel heating and a compressor fridge. Maybe even an induction hob and lots of lithium.

I'm now in a 6m a-class that doesn't have a lot of storage. The gas locker has room for a pair of cylinders. I've got a refillable in one that lasts a while. So the other slot has a food barrel that's full of tools and spares... including a squeeze tube of silicone.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Krazykate
Feb 26, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay PVC
Exp
Off out for the evening folks, thanks so much, will check in later. 🤗🚐
I had a 5.4m Ducato. Managed to squeeze in a pair of Bromptons under the bed. So my toolkit included some bike maintenance kit too. One of my spendy upgrades was an underslung gas tank, which meant I could repurpose the gas locker. If I were to do it again today, I'd go diesel heating and a compressor fridge. Maybe even an induction hob and lots of lithium.

I'm now in a 6m a-class that doesn't have a lot of storage. The gas locker has room for a pair of cylinders. I've got a refillable in one that lasts a while. So the other slot has a food barrel that's full of tools and spares... including a squeeze tube of silicone.
I have diesel heating which I've never had before so I don't need underslunder gas.
I have an airbnb and those single induction plates are brilliant so thinking one of the as the two burners are small. Very easy to stow as they are thin.
My company are watching the football so back to van addiction.
Thank you.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Collapz brand watering can and bucket. I keep the watering can just for filling fresh tank. Bucket has multiple uses from draining grey water to washing clothes and dishes in those campsite sinks with no plugs.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Krazykate
Feb 26, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay PVC
Exp
Collapz brand watering can and bucket. I keep the watering can just for filling fresh tank. Bucket has multiple uses from draining grey water to washing clothes and dishes in those campsite sinks with no plugs.
Thankyou. I have a collapsible bucket but not much storage space. Can I use a blue hose for filling tank?

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thankyou. I have a collapsible bucket but not much storage space. Can I use a blue hose for filling tank?
Of course you can use a hose but I never have as we prefer to collect it without having to drive up to the tap. I also dislike storing hoses that are damp inside. I can dry out the collapsible watering can and put it away.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Krazykate
Feb 26, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay PVC
Exp
That makes sense apart from carrying a heavy watering can which will have limited litres and I definitely don't want an aqua roll!
Is it adequate to hang the hose up?
I'm reading horrible stories of slimy water tanks and hoses 😱

Upvote 0

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
That makes sense apart from carrying a heavy watering can which will have limited litres and I definitely don't want an aqua roll!
We use a hose for filling up and a collapsible watering can for topping up on some sites, as not all have taps you can get a van to. We start from home with full tank.

Upvote 0

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Not cheap, but I have one of these hoses which folds up into a small plastic box with extra accessories I carry eg different fittings for taps etc

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
If you're worried carry some decent plastic bottles for your drinking water and just use the tank water for everything else. We've been doing this for 20+ years and never suffered any tummy upset.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Krazykate
Feb 26, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay PVC
Exp
Not cheap, but I have one of these hoses which folds up into a small plastic box with extra accessories I carry eg different fittings for taps etc

I've seen those, you must get shorter ones, I'll have a look.
Thanks.
If you're worried carry some decent plastic bottles for your drinking water and just use the tank water for everything else. We've been doing this for 20+ years and never suffered any tummy upset.
Yes I did that with my last van, in fact it didn't have a water tank at all. Thought I be grown up and use a blue hose for filling the tank and we have a fresh water container for drinking and cooking.
Ex nurse, you get a bit carried away about 'bugs'! Saying that do people use tank water to wash? If you don't brush your teeth in it, why rub it all over your body ?😱

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back