Site recommendations South West France (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 21, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A/T Impala 615
Exp
I'm a slightly less experienced newbie and still learning
Hi all

Looking to spend two/three weeks meandering around S.W. France in September, did this last year, not particularly successfully. Of the half dozen sites visited we would only go back to one or two Venise Verte and La Fleche. Using mainly sites chosen relatively randomly from the ACSI book.

Intend to plan more this year, hence the question. Prime requirements are walking distance of town or village with good eateries or a good onsite restaurant being September many of the sites are starting to close with some of their facilities having already having done so, which narrows down the field somewhat.

Other than the above pretty open although we do like to have an electricity supply on the pitch, we are certainly not wild campers :).

Any suggestions very much appreciated.

RGR

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We stayed in one site - Les Criques de Porteils - loved it. We cycled along a difficult mountain bike path into Argeles (had to carry bikes at one point) and walked to Collioure (quite a way).

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
We stayed in one site - Les Criques de Porteils - loved it. We cycled along a difficult mountain bike path into Argeles (had to carry bikes at one point) and walked to Collioure (quite a way).
Not South West though!
Very South West as an example:

Upvote 0
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I would certainly consider 'Camping-Car Parks'.

Many of them are older camp sites, some as good as regular sites, the 'Camping de Mon Village' sites often have excellent showers and toilet facilities.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Not South West though!
Very South West as an example:
I almost didn’t answer this thread in fear of the south vs south west argument yet again but did as previous poster mentioned Marseillan plage.

Apologies to OP if my post was I irrelevant.

Upvote 0
Oct 24, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Caracompact 600 MEG
Exp
5 years
Last September we stayed a week at Camping La Bastide in Ste Foy la Grande (ACSI 1330 this year). Adjacent to the Dordogne (but above flood risk) and a short walk into pleasant town with restaurants and a lively weekly market; and a supermarket also very near. Excellent site although some pitches a little tight.

Upvote 1

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Ditto from me.. But where does South West start and finish? Marseillan is nearer the Spanish border than Monaco. Under those circumstances, putting something out there is fine in my book. The OP can always say thanks, but further West please? Clearly suggesting somewhere like Ile de Oleron is wildly out.

Not sure why others should think of questioning. Surely it's down to the OP to accept or reject any suggestions?

Upvote 0
Oct 24, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Caracompact 600 MEG
Exp
5 years
Given the orientation of France and its rough hexagonal shape there has always been debate over compass point labels. If you google SW France you get the region from Bordeaux inland to Dordogne and south to the Pyrenees. Either way there are some super sites in some beautiful areas ……

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2022
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 1984
One site that may suit you as you are en route down the west coast is Camping Le Cadoret at Fouras. It is well located, especially if you have bikes but even without it is walkable to the lively little town with it's daily food market. They accept the ACSI discount card. Supposedly they only take motorhomes under 3.5 t but we chanced it although we are a little over. They didn't ask so we didn't mention it and the pitches are of a good size.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I would certainly consider 'Camping-Car Parks'.

Many of them are older camp sites, some as good as regular sites, the 'Camping de Mon Village' sites often have excellent showers and toilet facilities.
Going on from that. Martel has a 'Mon Village CCP. The town is that old, if you see an 18th Cen. building, it's a new build. Loads of eating places.
La Roque Gague is a Beaux Village and just outside and walkable is a campsite AND a CCP.(Same owners, closes in Oct) (Camping de la plage) €17 a nt with ACSI. On the Dordogne River, it has a bar, cafe and a swimming pool. What's not to like. I could go on.

Upvote 0
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
RGR723 We were recommended this site, Camping Village Florida at Bacares near Perpignan, when we fled Lake Garda due to prolonged rain. It was ACSI too. We were not disappointed.

Large site with static accommodation and all sorts of entertainment facilities on opposite side of the road to the touring area by the beach side. We don’t tend to use them, so generally avoid, but they didn’t cause any problems and meant they were there should we wish. Easy access on foot or cycle to supermarkets & town with good bus service to Perpignan which was a fantastic city to visit with lots of eateries, shops & places to visit. Great area for flat cycling, on paths too 😊 Lovely showers & toilet facilities and we even enjoyed the use of a free gym. Free WiFi on the pitch and EHU

We enjoyed 3.5 weeks rain free before heading towards home again.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Aug 21, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A/T Impala 615
Exp
I'm a slightly less experienced newbie and still learning
Hi all

Thanks for the suggestions, some certainly food for thought! appreciate the time and thought given to the responses.

RGR723

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New
Stayed at Yelloh site just on outskirts of Bordeaux,easly cycle ride into city but there is a bus/tram option too.Then stayed just outside Carcassonne again walk into village or bus into city.
We never stay in aires and interestingly on way to Spain via Nabonne and Perpignon there were electronic messages on the autoroutes in multi languages saying
"Beware of highwaymen" and
"Dont park in isolated area"

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back