SIM for France (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We have mobile phones and iPads which we use in France.

One phone is on 02, one on Tesco Mobile, and the iPad is on 3.

Local reception on all the units is poor as we are in a small valley. Reception on 3 is poor all over the area, we find.

Can anyone recommend a Pay as You Go SIM that might give better coverage?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We use a data card in the ipad supplied by Mobidata they have got some good packages for home and travel abroad ours seems to work well wherever we are,we are in Spain at present and you don't get extortionate bills.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We use a data card in the ipad supplied by Mobidata they have got some good packages for home and travel abroad ours seems to work well wherever we are,we are in Spain at present and you don't get extortionate bills.
Is that a British SIM or did you buy it on mainland Europe?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
just move to Three. can use your UK call plan in a lot of different countries. including france....

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Are you looking for a SIM which works at one particular location in France? If so, go there and get your phone to search for networks. This should identify what networks are available and should show if they are 2G (poor), 3G (better). Do the same where you live in the UK and you should have enough to make a decision. Of course 4G if available is fastest but unless you want to download videos it may not be the best for you if there is a premium to pay for it - if only because with 4G you are likely to use more data and thus require a more expensive plan.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
just move to Three. can use your UK call plan in a lot of different countries. including france....
We are on Three for the iPad now and have little success in France.

When we asked Three why our reception was so bad over there the salesman said " it's because our coverage in France is crap".

At least he was honest if unguarded.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
In addition to my last as mobidata uses another name as well.

Globalgig Customer Care UK

Email customercare@globalgig.com

UK Broken Link Removed

US Broken Link Removed

AUS Broken Link Removed

globalgig

Breaking broadband boundaries.

Not the bank.

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
I use Joe Mobile when in France. Little bit of messing about to get it sorted but it's easy to use and cheap. I found no problems getting a signal as they use sfr for their network. Now its up and running I just log on and reactivate it before I go. Here is a previous thread that got me started with it.

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/joemobile.85817/

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Try Toggle Mobile sim no roaming cheap calls and text no charge for incoming calls and text.
Check out their website and it will explain everything.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Try Toggle Mobile sim no roaming cheap calls and text no charge for incoming calls and text.
Check out their website and it will explain everything.
Sounds an excellent system.

Do you have first hand experience? Have you experienced any problems?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sounds an excellent system.

Do you have first hand experience? Have you experienced any problems?
Unless I misunderstood your original question you weren't after the cheapest deal, you wanted a sim which worked where you were living or staying. This depends entirely on what networks are available at those locations.. You could buy a payg sim on spec and see if it works but scanning would be best in the UK although for France you would have to find out which local provider your own UK provider used, if it wasn't the same company, which it would be if it was say Orange.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
That's the beauty of globalgig one price and you know that there is a suitable provider wherever you are in Europe and the UK at one price.even with your tablet set to roaming

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Unless I misunderstood your original question you weren't after the cheapest deal, you wanted a sim which worked where you were living or staying. This depends entirely on what networks are available at those locations.. You could buy a payg sim on spec and see if it works but scanning would be best in the UK although for France you would have to find out which local provider your own UK provider used, if it wasn't the same company, which it would be if it was say Orange.
You are correct that we have a problem getting a signal. The lower costs of SIMs suggested by posters will also help though.

We have scanned the various carriers at our French address but each one appears to drift in and out. Sometimes one is best, then at another time another is better.

There doesn't appear to be an answer at the moment.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
For data try a mifi which takes an external aerial, you can get high gain ones. Something like this : Broken Link Removed

Worth contacting Addie at motorhomewifi and see what he can suggest hardware wise.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I use my UK 3 all over France on the "Feel at Home" tariff. It works (roaming) on almost all the french Networks.
The french network it chooses to use varies depending on the signal locally.

I do find however that if you manually chose different networks you can get an improved signal compared to the network the phone automatically chooses.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We are on Three for the iPad now and have little success in France.

When we asked Three why our reception was so bad over there the salesman said " it's because our coverage in France is crap".

At least he was honest if unguarded.

iPads not that great for reception are they? (we have one) maybe try the sim in another device, android?

Also take heed of Calum's post above....

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I have had fist hand experience I use it all the time . All you need is an open phone ,you tell toggle on line which countries you wish to visit and they issue you with a no. for that country. Your family can phone or text you on your sim no. as normal and on their usual contract .When you phone you are seen as a French or Spanish etc phone and calls and text received are free and phone calls made are usually around 3p a minute, Take a look at the web site. togglemobile.co.uk. Good luck.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have mobile phones and iPads which we use in France.

One phone is on 02, one on Tesco Mobile, and the iPad is on 3.

Local reception on all the units is poor as we are in a small valley. Reception on 3 is poor all over the area, we find.

Can anyone recommend a Pay as You Go SIM that might give better coverage?
What do other people use close to you, would they help you.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Unfortunately we all seem to have a similar problem. As I said earlier I think it is the fact that we are in a valley that causes the problem.

Three years age Orange applied for permission to build a transmitter mast in the forest on the hillside above us. There was a protest from the villages around, complaining that the "radiation" emitted would be hazardous to their children's health.

Orange won permission and built the mast. Unfortunately, the communications control box burned out so they rebuilt it. It burned out again assisted by burning tractor tyres. Orange gave up and built the mast again, elsewhere. I guess the locals got their wish. (If not a decent mobile signal).

DocHoliday

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
5 years
Joemobile for me - worked very well when I was in France, all over the place.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back