Short term campervan insurance for international licence holder (1 Viewer)

DamnInsurance

Free Member
Aug 23, 2023
Funster No
MH
VW Transporter
Hi all!

Bit of a last minute one, but my boyfriend and I have the opportunity to borrow a friend's campervan next week for a bit of a road trip, on the proviso that we sort out insurance - I thought that would be easy enough, but it is proving to be anything but. The issue is that my boyfriend, the driver, has an international licence - he's a UK resident, but has only been here 8 months so does not have to exchange it yet, and hasn't really needed to until now. We're planning on setting off on Monday so exchanging his licence is not an option - and I can't drive this particular campervan as I only have an automatic licence (held for only a year as well, suspect that would bring issues too).

Does anyone know of an insurance company that provides short-term coverage for international licence holders? I have tried Adrian Flux, Dayinsure, Tempcover, Jaunt, Comfort Insurance, the RAC, and come up trumps so far - at this stage, I don't even care about the cost...

Thanks in advance for your help!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Licence issues will most probably exclude you both from obtaining your own covet unfortunately.
I think the best bet will be to get the owner to name your partner as a short term additional driver.

OP
OP
D

DamnInsurance

Free Member
Aug 23, 2023
Funster No
MH
VW Transporter
I am coming to the same conclusion - loath to ask them for that as they are already doing us a big favour and it's a bit of a hassle, but I might have to bite the bullet and my pride... And get them an even bigger thank you gift!

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
if it is accepted by the owners insurance it should only take a few mins to arrange and pay the owner the extra cost

Oct 27, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Frankia A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I managed to insure a French registered car in the UK on the chassis number. There were limitations however, only 4 weeks, only third party (not even windscreen or theft or anything else you could possibly think of) and it cost £200 for a month. I used Acorn Insurance on 01704 270027. The policy was issued by Haven Insurance, an underwriter in Gibraltar. Otherwise all I can suggest is try Lloyds of London - helps if you know a 'name', www.lloyds.com (not the bank).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Licence issues will most probably exclude you both from obtaining your own covet unfortunately.
I think the best bet will be to get the owner to name your partner as a short term additional driver.
That won't work as many will not accept any type of foreign licence. The UK really is a shitehole for vehicle insurance now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back