Seeking Better Alternative to Cheap Struts (1 Viewer)

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Is it just me, or are these struts simply just cheap rubbish? I am referring to the type that click and stay open in stages on the way up, and to close them you take the window to the maximum opening then let it come down. Only trouble is, ours go up, then refuse, or take a massive amount of persuasion, To go down again. I have just spent 10 minutes trying to close one and have had to admit defeat and take the struts off for fear of cracking the window.
Is there a known alternative please?
The MH is under warranty, but I am sick of these and would prefer a better solution.
Thanks in advance.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
DONT us WD40..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
HugoBNB
Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Change them for gas struts, have a word with SGS.

Thanks. I tried them and they reckon that they don't do them. I asked for ones that hold the window open at whatever position you stop it at. I have ordered some mechanical ones that have a twist lock on them.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Is it just me, or are these struts simply just cheap rubbish? I am referring to the type that click and stay open in stages on the way up, and to close them you take the window to the maximum opening then let it come down. Only trouble is, ours go up, then refuse, or take a massive amount of persuasion, To go down again. I have just spent 10 minutes trying to close one and have had to admit defeat and take the struts off for fear of cracking the window.
Is there a known alternative please?
The MH is under warranty, but I am sick of these and would prefer a better solution.
Thanks in advance.
With mine, I just lift it slightly higher which releases the catch and it lowers.
Be gentle, do not force anything (or is that advice too late) my struts on my MURVI are 17yrs old and still working. đź‘Ť

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't have any problems with mine just a pain having to open the window fully to close it.

Carthago use a friction that looks like a gas strut on their windows so they are avalible.

OP
OP
HugoBNB
Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks L' Hobo and Lenny HB . Yes, I have had these in the past on our two Hymer caravans. They did work okay, and that is how I know this batch on our new Hymer are utter rubbish. The first time we took it out after picking it up, we opened one of the bedroom windows as it was a warm night. Then, the heavens opened. After many minutes of being gentle with it, I threw a strop and took the struts off, getting a good soaking in the process. The dealer changed those, and they are sort of okay. It is the three other windows that are giving me grief now. I had to take the struts of another to get it to clise. Also, even when they are working, if you are on a tight aire it is not always possible to raise them high enough for closing without hitting the MH next to you. For what they cost, I cannot be bothered getting into a scrap with the dealer over "fit for purpose." Life is too short.
Safe and happy travels.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back