Security (1 Viewer)

Nosmo King

Free Member
Jul 17, 2018
Funster No
Security....

Hey folks, it’s getting close. New Campervan ((PVC) in two weeks.

We’ve paid for a Thatchem alarm but we’d like a physical visual deterrent as well. Possibly a steering lock.

Camper is based on a Fiat Ducato van conversion.

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Many thanks

OP
OP
Nosmo King

Nosmo King

Free Member
Jul 17, 2018
Funster No
I don’t think she’d wear it.... but if we’re in I’m not sure we’d need it anyway....

Visible is what we’re after so steering lock ticks the box.

Also - considering a lock on the seat turned away from the steering wheel. Anyone got any info for this?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I would suggest fitting deadlocks. These are a visible deterrent and harder to work around.
Disk locks are too easy for thieves once they have gained entry with the screwdriver up the drivers door lock.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I don’t think she’d wear it.... but if we’re in I’m not sure we’d need it anyway....

Also - considering a lock on the seat turned away from the steering wheel. Anyone got any info for this?

I found I could clip a big padlock on the seat base about 160° round from the front when it's turned round. Not very visible though.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We have a large wheel lock.... I spose I should use it really !
But we have a steering wheel lock bar and flashing LEDs on the alarm too

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years

This is what I did, it's a container type lock with a high tensile chain, you cannot pull the seat forward or rotate it.
20181130_125349.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Nosmo King

Nosmo King

Free Member
Jul 17, 2018
Funster No
Thanks folks. Some great ideas there.

Pedal box ticks the box I think, and the reverse seat trick

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
THe trouble I see with pedal locks, steering wheel lock or locking seat backwards are if you use wrap around silver screens, either inside or outside ones is that you cannot see these items from the outside, so scum bag forces open doors anyway. Wheel locks external indication but baddie will still get into to steal from you. IMHO Get an alarm that displays external indication like flashing leds or as @Riverbankannie suggests above use dead locks etc

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
You need a alarm Strike back etc the trouble with mechanical deterrent's you need at least 2 one to stop the van being stolen and one to stop the scrotes from stealing from you.

Reactions: f6c

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
THe trouble I see with pedal locks, steering wheel lock or locking seat backwards are if you use wrap around silver screens, either inside or outside ones is that you cannot see these items from the outside, so scum bag forces open doors anyway.

Just what I was thinking. We have a PVC that has blinds on front and door windows. Any "security" devices wouldn't be seen. Fit a good quality alarm/immobiliser with externally visible flashing lights.

Mick

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have an alarm and the installer put a very bright blue flashing LED light in the centre front of the dashboard which can be seen from outside so no need for external lights too, downside is that it lights up the interior like a disco but we simply put a cushion next to it on the inside otherwise we get woken up by Romy doing the Disco Duck! :D

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
@Minxy Girl My blue led when flashing reflects from the house roof soffit into the bedroom...and the neighbours have made comment ....so a hanky comes in useful (no jokes please ) (y)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Also, put the warning stickers that come with your various purchases on the windows where you don’t have external blinds

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Minxy Girl My blue led when flashing reflects from the house roof soffit into the bedroom...and the neighbours have made comment ....so a hanky comes in useful (no jokes please ) (y)
... change it for a red one ... :p

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Yes that's what I meant by externally visable. We also have a blue flashing light in the middle of the dash which has a towel over from the inside and can be seen from space from the outside :D

Mick

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
I used to have a motorbike chain looped through the steering wheel and down around the steering column.

Recently 'upgraded' this to a Disklok and a Pedal-lock too.

The Disklok is handy as it got me a further discount on my insurance.

The pedal lock is handy as it doubles as a mini safe for small valuables (y)

Sadly my drivers seat does not rotate, otherwise I'd also lock that in the opposite direction too, I love that idea!

That said... the passenger seat turns round, might lock that. It might draw attention if being driven like that?

Sep 15, 2018
Funster No
MH
Self build
Exp
Since 2009
If you lock your passenger with the back towards the door it prevents people entering by that door

Sep 15, 2018
Funster No
MH
Self build
Exp
Since 2009
Should have said passenger seat, before everybody moans about the passengers human rights lol

OP
OP
Nosmo King

Nosmo King

Free Member
Jul 17, 2018
Funster No
Thanks folks. Great suggestions. Brian - good point.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If you want to lock the seats so that they can't be moved easily when swivelled see if you can do this using a 'u' lock on them, example of the type below, they are quite cheap to buy, strong, and usually have a rubberised/protective covering so won't damage the seat etc when you use them.

onguard-neon-d-lock-white-EV344553-9000-2.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back