Securing a TOAD to it’s trailer, few questions: (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I see that most, probably all people secure their TOADS to the trailer floor/sides. Just wondering if there’s any particular protocol around this ?

• what is legally required, maybe it’s not even legally required ?
  • Sensible ways to do it
  • Any tips & tricks to make it easy

I can see the trailer we may get will be tight vs the car and hence just wondering how easy it would be to do this.

I have seen on some French trailers i sort of roll in lock in system like used for motorbikes but in this case for the 2 front wheels of a car.

Looking at the whole process it looks like loading and securing could be done in 15mins +/-

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
I always used four wheel ties and ratchet straps for my Smart Car. However, I think you are saying your traler has sides? If so you are going to struggle with accessing the wheels.

Geoff

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
When I worked with a 7.5 tonne beaver tail truck anything substantial with wheels was secured using ratchet straps with a choke strap unless they had actual tie down points, make sure when you run the main strap behind the wheel you don't pinch brake pipes though. See pictures in the link for how they fit.

TENSYS - Set of 4 - Professional Wheel Straps for Car Transporter, Recovery Vehicle, Trailer https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07G4DJG8Q?tag=mhf04-21

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
However, I think you are saying your traler has sides?

Still searching for the right one, good point though about sides and another reason to go with a classic flatbed. Currently looking at one that raises and lowers for easier loading.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
When I worked with a 7.5 tonne beaver tail truck anything substantial with wheels was secured using ratchet straps with a choke strap unless they had actual tie down points, make sure when you run the main strap behind the wheel you don't pinch brake pipes though. See pictures in the link for how they fit.

TENSYS - Set of 4 - Professional Wheel Straps for Car Transporter, Recovery Vehicle, Trailer https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07G4DJG8Q?tag=mhf04-21

Gotcha !

I’ve seen also some with straps just going over the wheels, guess that avoids any risks that you mention.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Gotcha !

I’ve seen also some with straps just going over the wheels, guess that avoids any risks that you mention.
If they go straight over your wheels your tie down points will need to be in line with your wheels or else the straps will slide off, the straps with chokes allow the tie down points to be off to the side, it only takes a little care to avoid pinching a brake pipe, I managed to never do it in 4 years of driving the beaver tail.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
If they go straight over your wheels your tie down points will need to be in line with your wheels or else the straps will slide off, the straps with chokes allow the tie down points to be off to the side, it only takes a little care to avoid pinching a brake pipe, I managed to never do it in 4 years of driving the beaver tail.

Think this will be the way to do it as I’m sure the tie down shackles will be located off to the side, in the edge of the trailer.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022

I’ve fitted a set of the Erickson tie downs in the trailer to secure my 1000cc Can Am quad.
IMG_1680.jpeg

IMG_1681.jpeg

That’s specifically for quads etc but no reason why they wouldn’t fit the wheels of a small car. If not then Erickson also have other E-Track components listed - scroll down on the link.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Make sure you put the car's handbrake on... First time we ever put a car on a trailer unbeknownst to me hubby didn't think it needed it on and the car jumped onto the spare wheel attached to the a-frame. 😳

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I’ve fitted a set of the Erickson tie downs in the trailer to secure my 1000cc Can Am quad.
View attachment 932266
View attachment 932267

That’s specifically for quads etc but no reason why they wouldn’t fit the wheels of a small car. If not then Erickson also have other E-Track components listed - scroll down on the link.

I think for a car the chocks would need to be bolted through a chassis member, just my opinion.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
when securing vehicle with suspension to trailer etc , you should not just rely on tie down points attached to body as this will shock load fixings due to pitching , especially not tow points. That's why wheels are best used with choke straps or nets. When using ratchet straps on motorcycles it should be possible to preload suspension for best results.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
when securing vehicle with suspension to trailer etc , you should not just rely on tie down points attached to body as this will shock load fixings due to pitching , especially not tow points. That's why wheels are best used with choke straps or nets. When using ratchet straps on motorcycles it should be possible to preload suspension for best results.

Great info and explains it well, thanks

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Nice, looks very secure and a nice sturdy trailer (y)

How long does it take you to load and secure if you don-t mind me asking ? Speve
I can do it in about half an hour although it usually takes a bit longer on site as folk usually want to talk etc.

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I was taught how to load a car on a truck or trailer in my teens when I started helping out on recovery. Proper choke straps on the wheels, or if missing wheels, chain the axle. All 4 corners to allow for the unexpected. Seen people do opposite corners only, but if one of the 2 straps fails or is impacted, you can lose the load. Never ever strap the bodywork unless it is to secure loose or torn panels/doors. The suspension on the car will bounce about the same as the suspension on the trailer. This will wear through a strap quickly and the shear force as it springs back up will cause damage to the vehicle

I don't currently use a trailer, but when I do it takes 10 minutes to safely load and secure the car. No matter how quick you are or how experienced, always, always, check all the straps again before setting off

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back