Secondary/Free-standing solar panel connectors (1 Viewer)

Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
So, now thinking of a third flexible solar panel to be deployed as & when required.

I would wire this in parallel to the two existing panels which are series wired.
A short bit of cabling into the MPPT with connectors, and fused, within the existing external access door.
Long (enough to get to t'other side of van) fly-leads on the panel with corresponding connectors.

Recommend connectors, please. I find the standard solar MC4 connectors awkward to disconnect ....
(Yes, panels covered while connecting!)

EDIT: If I removed the locking lugs off the MC4s that would make 'em more user friendly

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
The Ecoflow MC4 connections have an easy press to release connection and are very easy to use. The Victron ones supplied by Offgrid are not quite as easy to use but still easy enough without a tool.
I have done exactly as you are planning with the exception of how my roof panels are wired, worked perfectly in Spain for 2 months in Winter sun.
Using the Eco Flow panel I connect with it closed and then open it up to get the sun.

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
I too have an "extension lead" xt60 panel end,old style 3 pin plug van end..flush socket mounted to van.(Surprisingly perhaps TS &SF both sell round 3pin plugs and sockets)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
We often use good old Anderson connectors. Very simple and effective

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012