Schwable Marathon Plus and Marathon E Plus puncture proof tyres. (1 Viewer)

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
After experiencing an unrepairable flat, for many years, I rode to work on a "Stumpjumper" (MTB) equipped with the Schwable Marathon Plus Tyres, they proved to be bomb proof road tyres and as it was an MTB I wasn't that concerned about the additional weight over puncture performance.

We recently purchased a couple of "cheap" e-bikes to test and gain experience of before launching into the higher end stuff.

In the back of my mind I had a feeling that I should be replacing the tyres or fitting some kind of liner between the inner tyre and the tube. But I also wanted to take the bikes out for a quick test too.

Bike 1 test 12 miles, took my bikepack with me, no issues.
Bike 2 test 5 Km, no bikepack, puncture on rear hub drive!

So I've invested in a pair of Schwable Marathon E Plus tyres that arrived today, I'm not sure that I need the "E" bit at 15 Mph, but the Std Marathon Plus wasn't available in 27.5" x 2", and I wanted to keep the width for Trekking (more comfort on hard pack).

A quick comparison between the two shows not a lot of difference, the tread is perhaps 1 mm deeper, but no more, and with a claim of being able to roll over a drawing pin from both, I'm hoping I won't be fixing any puncture in the near future.

Does anyone else run these, or something similar ?

Marathon Plus tread...

20240319_135726.jpg

Marathon E Plus...

20240319_135812.jpg

Cheers
Red.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
I have been using Schwalbe Marathons in various forms for a number years on long distance rides - Yorkshire to Rome, Yorkshire to Santiago de Compostello and many more. Never had a problem. Wouldn’t use anything else.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I had Marathon Plus tyres on my Brompton. They were heavy and slow and I got loads of glass punctures. When I wore them out after a couple of years of commuting, I switched to Continental Urbans. Much nicer, more supple ride and faster and grippier... I expected them to leave me stranded frequently. Not had a puncture in months.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I just inserted the hard plastic strip bought from Decathlon which fits between the inner tube and tyre ,never had a puncture after I did this.

Jun 17, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
July 2015 plus 20 years of camping
I always run some kind of schwalbes except on my lightest carbon bike. Standard marathons are great on the touring bike. Just enough puncture protection to reduce the number of punctures. On an e-bike where weight isn't much of an issue and tyres can be a PITA to change I'd definitely use marathon Plus.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
The majority of my punctures were on the front wheel and glass fragments... I was commuting in Liverpool. I think I have a tendency to track stand at lights, so I'm dry steering and probably grinding the glass in. But that still doesn't explain why the Continentals don't suffer the same issues.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
RedFrame

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
The majority of my punctures were on the front wheel and glass fragments... I was commuting in Liverpool. I think I have a tendency to track stand at lights, so I'm dry steering and probably grinding the glass in. But that still doesn't explain why the Continentals don't suffer the same issues.
"Track stand" on a Brompton... :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

In Liverpool... :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:(y)

Kudos.

Cheers
Red.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back