Scary Jump in Premiums (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 3, 2021
Caterham-on-the-Hill, UK
Funster No
MH
Pegaso - 740
We bought our brand new A-Class in July 2023 and got insurance via AIB through Aviva. The premium was £520 which we were happy with. I've called AIB, Safeguard & Comfort today and have been quoted a lowest premium of £1,175. Aviva apparently won't deal with me directly, only via a broker. That's a huge increase, especially as nothing has changed for us, no claims in more than 10 years, no points on either licence and the value probably hasn't changed either. We've done around 4,500 miles this year.

If anyone has any suggestions on where we might get a slightly better quote I'm all ears, but resigning myself to the fact that premiums are at least going to double this year!

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
We bought our brand new A-Class in July 2023 and got insurance via AIB through Aviva. The premium was £520 which we were happy with. I've called AIB, Safeguard & Comfort today and have been quoted a lowest premium of £1,175. Aviva apparently won't deal with me directly, only via a broker. That's a huge increase, especially as nothing has changed for us, no claims in more than 10 years, no points on either licence and the value probably hasn't changed either. We've done around 4,500 miles this year.

If anyone has any suggestions on where we might get a slightly better quote I'm all ears, but resigning myself to the fact that premiums are at least going to double this year!
Try the Chichester branch of NFU.

Jun 13, 2020
Garden of England
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML T570
Well worth taking a look at Caravan Guard, LV, and NFU. These all seem to be decent companies, but I can never understand how their quotes differ so much, so you may be lucky with one of them.
Good luck, I'll be in the same boat as you in two weeks time I fear ................

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Been with Staveley Head for 10 years now, unusual for me as i tend to use confused.com but they have been very reasonable. They wanted over £300 this year so I went on confused, their quote on that was the cheapest at £226 so I rang them up. Apparently it was because I'd put less yearly mileage in at 5000 👍 so I'm still with them at £226 a year 👌😎

Apr 2, 2017
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globe Traveller
Exp
Since 2002
Well worth taking a look at Caravan Guard, LV, and NFU. These all seem to be decent companies, but I can never understand how their quotes differ so much, so you may be lucky with one of them.
Good luck, I'll be in the same boat as you in two weeks time I fear ................
I’m in the process of getting a quote for a new van and have been told (twice now) by LV that as of the start of this month they no longer insure motorhomes or campervans.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Try the price comparison sites. I generally find it strange that there isn't a much bigger difference between A class insurance and coachbuilt with standard windscreens given the amount of windscreen cover a lot expect

Oct 31, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Carthago T149
Exp
Since 2016
Last year we bought a new van and struggled a little to find an insurer for its value, in the end we went with Clubcare, I was dreading the renewal coming through and sure enough they have increased it by 100 pence in that year, I'm fuming, I've started writing a letter to the CEO !

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Just renewed with Comfort AVIVA policy, it had only gone up £69 from last year and under £400 which was a bonus but the excess has gone up across the policy.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
When I first insured in Poland 2 years ago the premium was coming out at £400ish - till they entered RHD, then it doubled.

Last Nov I renewed at a slight reduction, so compared with some of the quotes I see on this thread I am doing quite well, considering I have fully comp for all Balkans and Morocco and I think Turkey.

I hope I am not in for a shock this Nov, because I cannot shop around as I am with the only company that will quote for RHD.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I appreciate cars are completely different to motorhomes but my premium has risen by £12.
Cant understand why motorhome premiums have risen so much.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
It’s not just motorhomes, my motorbike insurance renewal turned up today, an increase of 45% over last year. No claims no changes of circumstances. A phone call ensued but they refused to budge. I went on comparison sites and the quotes didn’t come close to my existing company. So I guess I’m stuck with it.
All the companies are at it.☹️
Phil

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I know some people are saying that LV have stopped doing new motorhomes but just try anyway. My LV premium for Hymer A Class went from £353 to £467 this year. I expected more as I'm 80 this year.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014

Well it's going to be interesting at this years renewal at end of Aug.
Since we started we have always been with AIB. Though not always the cheapest. Darren has always been helpful and we also get full European breakdown with the cover.

We have been informed for at least the last 3 years at renewal that if we stay with them for 10 years we get a years free insurance. loyal customers and all that.

This will be 10 years :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back