BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 DL (2017)
Exp
Well travelled
Thanks all. We've never had satellite before, and just see it as a great big wind drag (even folded) and extra weight we don't need. I'll stick it in the loft for when we sell our moho in 10 years time, if we are still using them then.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Fiat Based Hymer
Thanks all. We've never had satellite before,
Whilst you have the dish, you could try it. You never know.

Some of would would not be without the dish now.

Otherwise, just unbolt it, so you can change you mind later.

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Hi all,

No idea what type of system you have but if it's surplus to requirements then removing it obviously helps a lot with payload. I would however not remove the base plate, especially with cheesewire as you could well end up with a very hefty chunk of roof coming with it if you're not careful and is it worth the possible repair costs?

Yes, satellite dish's are a little weighty (most in the region of 15kg), an expensive outlay and Wifi does the same job for a cheaper outlay and less weight addition but there are a few things that a lot of people don't realise.

Wifi has ongoing costs. Whether you have inclusive data or not right now you can't guarantee that you always will. Regardless off data charges there is and always will be a monthly cost for the contract (PAYG will always work out more expensive in terms of what you are using but can cut costs over longer periods if you can find decent offers on roaming or aren't leaving the UK). Apps such as Netflix, Disney Plus, Amazon prime etc bring further monthly fees and VPN's required for accessing UK restricted apps when traveling abroad also bring extra monthly payments. If you sit and work out the cost of Satellite against Wifi most will find that a satellite with free to air TV will actually work out cheaper after 4 years with the ongoing costs. I understand that most people already have these apps and I'm not trying to put anyone off wifi at all, just want people to see that both have benefits.

Oyster V (Flagship top of the range system) -
Average cost is £2500 and fitting (if required) will be around £250 (dealer dependant) which equals £2750 purchase price up front. There are no hidden costs and all free to air TV can be watched (inside the satellite footprints).

Wifi unit (no specific unit chosen) -
Say £500 for the unit and fitting (if required) will be around £200 (dealer dependant) which equals £700 purchase price up front. Then however you have say £10 a month for the Sim card, £9 a month for Amazon prime, £11 a month for Netflix (ad free version), £8 a month for Disney+ and say £2 a month for a VPN. Over 4 years this will have cost £2720 all in with payments continuing on from there also AND this doesn't even include any possible price rises over the years.

The other reason for me being so vocal about the benefits of Satellite is the hidden demon that no one seems to see. Yes, I work for a Satellite TV company and I understand that, for most, I have a biased opinion on these matters but I have always tried to speak honestly and truthful to our customer base and this is no different.
I know I'm talking 10/20 years in the future (hopefully) but when we get to a point when Satellite TV is below the percentage required for switch off what do we think is going to happen? Wifi will be the ONLY way to receive TV (abroad for definite but the terrestrial masts will probably be gone by then also). If the powers that be decide to block all VPN's they will do it, they CAN do it now but why would they when people would just revert to satellite? They can charge more for data, they WILL charge more for data but they won't do it until people have no other option but to pay it. The prices of the apps go up almost yearly, the sim only contract deals go up almost yearly, even ITV and a lot of the other "Free" apps now have a paid version and that will spread across the rest and eventually data will be one of most(if not the most) sort after commodities which, when you have no other choice, again will mean you'll pay more for it.

I get that I'm probably boring a lot of people with this but most of the people on this site are here to support and offer help to their fellow funsters and, while I may be from a company and promoting my company's products, I still see myself primarily as support for Oyster products (and entertainment systems as a whole) as well as knowledge and technical help for those that need it.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
I have both a good 5g WiFi router and satellite, there is no comparison, satellite is far better, easier to switch chanels, and is not susceptible to poor internet signal, which unfortunately in this country is far too common.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Does the dish pick up bbc etc ?
Yes.

In the UK all the freeview channels.
Outside the UK you can pick up a lot of UK channels down as far as Northern Spain

We have both a large dish and WiFi.
When watch TV we normally use the dish, it rare that we have a good enough wifi signal to watch TV, and even when we do, despite having a large amount of data on our package it tends to run out after about 10-15 days.

Bottom line, unless there is a specific reason to remove the dish, I'd keep it.

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Does the dish pick up bbc etc ?
Depends on what size dish you have but the Oyster 85cm with Autoskew that I mentioned in my above post will give Freesat services down to around Narbonne/Carcassonne in Southern France, to around Berlin in Eastern Germany, a little of Austria, too around lake Garde/Milan/Genoa in Italy and up to around the centre of Denmark but will go a little further up the west coast. The dish may also work on Freesat services down the east coast of Spain from Tarragona down to Cartagena although please be advised that right on the edge of the signal adverse weather conditions, atmospherics and time of day/year can all have an affect on signal strength.
The Pan European beam is a much larger footprint area and houses the majority of Sky premium services but does also house some free to air channels (not BBC,ITV,Channel 4 or Channel 5) that you can view when outside the above areas. These signals should be receivable throughout the majority of Spain, Portugal, Denmark, Poland, Croatia, Slovakia, Hungary and just over half of Italy.

Obviously different dishes have different capabilities and also ageing systems may not quite get to where I'm stating but we can always advise on these things individually should people require assistance in any of these areas.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I'll stick it in the loft for when we sell our moho in 10 years
What system do you have ?
I've a 20 year old oyster 1, the original system I think, and find it invaluable.
The places I go often seem to have poor 4g signal and once in France it saves a lot of faffing about and expense of data.
I have a decent Netgear router with data as back up.
I think Anthony sums it up nicely 👍

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
The Pan European beam is a much larger footprint area and houses the majority of Sky premium services but does also house some free to air channels (not BBC,ITV,Channel 4 or Channel 5) that you can view when outside the above areas. These signals should be receivable throughout the majority of Spain, Portugal, Denmark, Poland, Croatia, Slovakia, Hungary and just over half of Italy.
We're due to be heading beyond the range of our aged 85cm Autosat 2 dish. Although we have unlimited roaming I find the satellite much more convenient to channel hop. I've tried to find the pan european beam a couple of times but just went down google rabbit holes with where to point the dish. Could you tell me where to point it to receive the Pan European beam. It has a Crystop controller which I can just about figure out how to change from Astra 2. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
We're due to be heading beyond the range of our aged 85cm Autosat 2 dish. Although we have unlimited roaming I find the satellite much more convenient to channel hop. I've tried to find the pan european beam a couple of times but just went down google rabbit holes with where to point the dish. Could you tell me where to point it to receive the Pan European beam. It has a Crystop controller which I can just about figure out how to change from Astra 2. (y)
Morning dunnah01

Unfortunately I'm not sure how you'd do it with a Crystop system. The Astra 2 satellite broadcasts from 3 satellites with 2 beams on each so essentially you just need to search using a frequency from any of the wider beams and it will lock on (provided you're inside the signal beam). You wouldn't get the spot beam channels (they'd say no signal) but any free to air channel from the pan European beam would work without issue so essentially you're just locking on to a stronger signal on the same satellite rather than one that isn't strong enough to see any more. On the Oyster systems I can alter or update most over the phone to do this but I just wouldn't know where to start on your system as I don't know the software.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Morning dunnah01

Unfortunately I'm not sure how you'd do it with a Crystop system. The Astra 2 satellite broadcasts from 3 satellites with 2 beams on each so essentially you just need to search using a frequency from any of the wider beams and it will lock on (provided you're inside the signal beam). You wouldn't get the spot beam channels (they'd say no signal) but any free to air channel from the pan European beam would work without issue so essentially you're just locking on to a stronger signal on the same satellite rather than one that isn't strong enough to see any more. On the Oyster systems I can alter or update most over the phone to do this but I just wouldn't know where to start on your system as I don't know the software.
Thanks very much - That gives me really good info to have a play around. We're inside the normal beam for a week or two but beyond after that so I'll have a play around then 👍👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back