Sat Nav - overheating (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
I know that there is a lot of information on the site about sat navs but I would appreciate a little bit of advice. I prefer to use an app on a tablet or mobile but to date every device I have used has eventually overheated and shut down. I therefore reverted to the trusted tomtom which now has a wonky battery so I would really like to go back to a tablet. I have tried a variety of solutions such as restricting background apps and even constructing a sun shade. So my question is- have I just been unlucky or does this happen to others? Secondly, can members suggest a relatively bulletproof tablet?

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
This happened to us last year in France, I made a reflective sunshade with some white card. Cured the problem.
Same here, using a mobile as a satnav in a holder on the windscreen. However the new camper (MAN TGE) the radio head of the van will show Waze on its screen linked from my mobile so hopefully problem solved that way.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Mine was actually a Satnav, froze as I was entering the heavy traffic around Dijon, interesting morning.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
If you're using your phone on the dash, it can cook in the sun. Having the screen on high brightness and running a fairly intensive application creates quite a lot of internal heat too. So it's probably the worst situation for the phone. It's also really unhealthy for the battery.

Giving it a bit of shade, letting air move over it from a vent, not putting it in a case should help. You might find it works ok in battery saving mode, which will throttle the phone back a bit so it shouldn't get as hot.

Personally I use Android Auto. It means the phone isn't generating heat from the screen and it sits in a cup holder out of the sun, so it barely gets warm.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
In the van my satnav phone sits on a Quadlock holder close to an air vent, so when the aircon is on it actually gets very cold. Maybe you could try repositioning yours to get air from a vent. I did occasionally have this problem on the motorbike, but usually there was enough airflow to keep it cool if I kept my speed up! šŸ˜‰

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I had a mifi device shut down, it was sitting on top of the dash, luckily I had two devices, the black one (cat6) shut down so I swapped it for the white one (cat4) and was okay for the rest of the day, the tablet and phone have been okay.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back