Aug 2, 2021
Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Burstner Elegance i700
Good morning all!

Can anybody recommend an app to download which allows an input of the size of our motorhome please?
We usually use Waze which is good, until it sends you up a tiny lane...
Many thanks

Neil & Lisa

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Good morning all!

Can anybody recommend an app to download which allows an input of the size of our motorhome please?
We usually use Waze which is good, until it sends you up a tiny lane...
Many thanks

Neil & Lisa
I've tried several. They route you badly and still send you through inappropriate lanes. I keep going back to Google Maps.

Oct 18, 2021
Northampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 700
Exp
Some....good & bad!
It's a good idea to check where the sat nav is sending you first before blindly following it. Good thing about google maps is you can switch to streetview and check the road if it looks suspiciously small.

Oct 27, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Frankia A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Tried Magic Earth - plus side is it works with Apple CarPlay, with clear maps. But it made a couple of errors whilst navigating. I ended up running Magic Earth via CarPlay with CoPilot on the iPhone. Why won’t CoPilot add CarPlay support?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Tried Magic Earth - plus side is it works with Apple CarPlay, with clear maps. But it made a couple of errors whilst navigating. I ended up running Magic Earth via CarPlay with CoPilot on the iPhone. Why won’t CoPilot add CarPlay support?
Both Apple and Google make app companies jump through a lot of hoops before they allow CarPlay or Auto. There's a lot of requirements around usability with (pretty poor) car touch screens, and it's not allowed to be too distracting. It's pretty onerous, so a lot of app companies refuse.

Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
Sygic Camper, allows you to input sizes and weights. Works well on Android Auto 👍

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Sygic Camper, allows you to input sizes and weights. Works well on Android Auto 👍
I've got Sygic Camper running on a tablet as a backup. But I pretty much don't bother turning it on. Google Maps has better guidance, better traffic info and better mapping. On the rare occasion Google asks me to turn down a road that looks narrow, right there on the screen, I can see how much longer it'll take me to ignore the turn (it's normally a couple of minutes). Sygic is marginally better at avoiding narrow roads, but not much. And I've noped-out on lanes it's suggested I use in north Norfolk. And it's guided me to 6'6" restrictions on 3 occasions. And guided me down a route with a 3t limit. I think the vehicle size feature is mostly placebo and gives you a false sense of security. Sygic, Road Lords and several others use TomTom mapping.

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
I've got Sygic Camper running on a tablet as a backup. But I pretty much don't bother turning it on. Google Maps has better guidance, better traffic info and better mapping. On the rare occasion Google asks me to turn down a road that looks narrow, right there on the screen, I can see how much longer it'll take me to ignore the turn (it's normally a couple of minutes). Sygic is marginally better at avoiding narrow roads, but not much. And I've noped-out on lanes it's suggested I use in north Norfolk. And it's guided me to 6'6" restrictions on 3 occasions. And guided me down a route with a 3t limit. I think the vehicle size feature is mostly placebo and gives you a false sense of security. Sygic, Road Lords and several others use TomTom mapping.
I agree, I have been using it for a year and have the same odd results as you..

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
Road Lords - I think really designed for trucks - but you can put in your dimensions. Maps look a little strange to start but you get used to it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
I know this does not answer your question but buy some maps. We had a much better time on our European tour last year not listening to some crappy voice interrupting our music and audio books, by repeating the same instruction 3 times. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for technology, but satnav whilst useful, is too bloody intrusive. What makes it even more fun is that our navigator does struggle with right and left! I love maps.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I use Co pilot caravan, it works extremely well but you must take the time to set it up correctly, as well as dimensions you can set up road preferences, make sure that you set local streets to strongly avoid and secondary roads to avoid, this will ensure that it will only route you through these if there is no alternative.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I know this does not answer your question but buy some maps. We had a much better time on our European tour last year not listening to some crappy voice interrupting our music and audio books, by repeating the same instruction 3 times. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for technology, but satnav whilst useful, is too bloody intrusive. What makes it even more fun is that our navigator does struggle with right and left! I love maps.
I find satnav far less stressful. It'll not loose focus or fall asleep. Much less intrusive than interogating the human navigator for clear guidance. And it doesn't argue if I miss a turn.

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
I use Co pilot caravan, it works extremely well but you must take the time to set it up correctly, as well as dimensions you can set up road preferences, make sure that you set local streets to strongly avoid and secondary roads to avoid, this will ensure that it will only route you through these if there is no alternative.
Good tip re the routing options, only started trialling CoPilot this past week and covered four journeys so far, but I had ours set to NEUTRAL for secondary routes, and AVOID for local streets. I've now upped them both as per your suggestion, which as you say, will then only allow them to be added into the routing when there's no other options available. I've loaded it onto a 6th Gen iPad with GPS capability, and it sits nicely in the dashboard clipboard holder (Fiat) and allows a decent view of the routing and more importantly, allows Mrs Sunlover to be able to make amends on the fly too.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Good tip re the routing options, only started trialling CoPilot this past week and covered four journeys so far, but I had ours set to NEUTRAL for secondary routes, and AVOID for local streets. I've now upped them both as per your suggestion, which as you say, will then only allow them to be added into the routing when there's no other options available. I've loaded it onto a 6th Gen iPad with GPS capability, and it sits nicely in the dashboard clipboard holder (Fiat) and allows a decent view of the routing and more importantly, allows Mrs Sunlover to be able to make amends on the fly too.
I should have added to also check that it is using the correct routing profile, the one you have set up, if calling co pilot from another app, like S4S navigate to option, it may not call it using your specific routing profile so just check at the bottom of the screen that it is using the correct profile. I found this out when it routed me over a very narrow mountain road in Spain, luckily I made it and there were no vehicles coming the other way, it took me a while to figure out why it did it, user error :giggle:

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
I too love maps, but they're only any use to you as a driver when you're stationary or if you have a passenger confident with maps.

As for the intrusive nature, turn off the audible route guidance. I never have it on. Only leave speed and hazard warnings enabled. You also have a constant idea of upcoming sharp bends or deviations. Obviously if you are relying on the satnav as the driver without audio, placement is critical to ensure it's safe to use.

I've tried loads. My current favourite is Magic Earth, or Waze, but you can't beat Google Maps for accuracy and reliability.

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
I too love maps, but they're only any use to you as a driver when you're stationary or if you have a passenger confident with maps.

As for the intrusive nature, turn off the audible route guidance. I never have it on. Only leave speed and hazard warnings enabled. You also have a constant idea of upcoming sharp bends or deviations. Obviously if you are relying on the satnav as the driver without audio, placement is critical to ensure it's safe to use.

I've tried loads. My current favourite is Magic Earth, or Waze, but you can't beat Google Maps for accuracy and reliability.
Good points indeed. I don't not use satnav, but I avoid it when its not necessary. I think its sort of dumbed our decision making. We all seemed to manage perfectly well before it came along! Blimey, I'm sounding like a Luddite! I've had tomtoms in the past and like you Google maps is the best of the bunch, when I do use it.

Oct 27, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Frankia A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Both Apple and Google make app companies jump through a lot of hoops before they allow CarPlay or Auto. There's a lot of requirements around usability with (pretty poor) car touch screens, and it's not allowed to be too distracting. It's pretty onerous, so a lot of app companies refuse.
But Magic Earth supports Apple CarPlay.

Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Just in case you didn't know, Co-Pilot had an awesome split-screen view option if used horizontally on a tablet. It's not that obvious as it's not in the settings and for some reason it doesn't save as a default view so you have to keep selecting it.

It shows the map on one side and the next direction on the other.

Apa6vt1o-bT4W26O650vv5zOup_vSlywcg.jpg

https://support.copilotpro.com/en/s...es/19000086764-switching-to-split-screen-view

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back