Salzburg to Calais throughnal (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
I ve stopped the Carinthia Throughnal mainly because we are not in Carinthia anymore.

We continue our journey without our Kärnten money saving card

We think we will follow the alpinestraße ish to Constance and the maybe route des cretes over Alsace. We have just over a fortnight left before work expect me back.

First entry is Salzburg

Click the link for photo heavy post !

We got our Aire at 12 euros a night, extra for leccy, in the middle of nowhere but we are next to some cows and a railway line. Don't let that put you off.
We reckon about 15 KMs from Salzburg on a motorbike but they have a cycle route up to... https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/salzburg.511/

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Aug 09 to date
Never ever given Salzburg a thought except when its mentioned in some bit of history but it really looks like an interesting city from your photos and I am very intrigued with that metal? sculpture of a heart? you're pictured standing by. What on earth is that all about then?

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Never ever given Salzburg a thought except when its mentioned in some bit of history but it really looks like an interesting city from your photos and I am very intrigued with that metal? sculpture of a heart? you're pictured standing by. What on earth is that all about then?
That is Paula suggesting she has seen me with a heart for the first time !

We knew Salzburg would be nice. And I suppose the amount of selfie sticks gave it away. Reminded us of Heidelberg only a lot nicer, less touristy and a lot bigger.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Like to see some pics of the Alpinstrasse, doing some of that in September, cheers
You just made me look it up.
We have done some before, a few years ago, so I knew it went from around here (Salzburg) to around lake Constance somewhere.
I didn't realise it went from Salzburg to lake Constance. It just became a higher priority !
Cheers

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
We went into Salzburg on the Harley years ago and boy did we go to the wrong part, firstly the 4 of us wanted something to eat and saw the local McD’s I said to the others “I’m not leaving these bikes here it’s not safe” so off they went, they crossed the road to the precinct thing where said food place was, there was drunks and druggies lying in the pavement soaking in their own vomit and urine, Mrs Westy and Mrs Wesbus had an unpleasant stalker in McD’s and couldn’t get back to me and the bikes quick enough!!
Still I need to go back to Salzburg to the better half🤷‍♂️👍👍

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
suavecarve Jon we did the alpenstrasse on the bikes and from a distant memory we cut out the bad tolz bit by doing the little toll road from Krun to Vorderiss nice little road running alongside the Isar river (it was around €4 on Harley) wasnt all tarmac tho and I seem to remember it had a 4t limit. Btw we was going west to east👍

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
suavecarve Jon we did the alpenstrasse on the bikes and from a distant memory we cut out the bad tolz bit by doing the little toll road from Krun to Vorderiss nice little road running alongside the Isar river (it was around €4 on Harley) wasnt all tarmac tho and I seem to remember it had a 4t limit. Btw we was going west to east👍
Ta, just looking at it a bit closer now and it starts at Berchtesgaden by the lake.
I remember them trying to charge me 3 euros pay and display on the motorbike ! Ridiculous. Absolute tourist trap and paying to see Eagles nest is not in my remit. However, I also remember a series of stunning lakes coming away from konigsee on the alpinestraße so I am now in 2 minds as to whether to go via Berchtesgaden and do the whole route or stay another day here and go there on the motorbike round the lakes.
We will be lake hopping back into Austria north of Salzburg today.
Rotten views when we got up.
IMG20240622081220.jpg
IMG20240622081226.jpg

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
We went into Salzburg on the Harley years ago and boy did we go to the wrong part, firstly the 4 of us wanted something to eat and saw the local McD’s I said to the others “I’m not leaving these bikes here it’s not safe” so off they went, they crossed the road to the precinct thing where said food place was, there was drunks and druggies lying in the pavement soaking in their own vomit and urine, Mrs Westy and Mrs Wesbus had an unpleasant stalker in McD’s and couldn’t get back to me and the bikes quick enough!!
Still I need to go back to Salzburg to the better half🤷‍♂️👍👍
We parked initially by the University as we seem to struggle to find motorbike parking and they don't appear to take a french attitude to abandoning your scooter wherever you want.
Signage to the town centre and in general in Austria could be improved !!!!
Highest percentage of beggars we have seen so far.
Once I took a closer look at the map I thought we would head for the river where there were bridges and that worked out a treat.
From where we are, we are giving great consideration to returning with the E bikes. The river has a cycle route both sides, allegedly in shade, and nearly joins with the Inn then another cycle route to the Danube at Passau.
That is right up our voie verte (path)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
I’m not leaving these bikes here it’s not safe” so off they went, they crossed the road to the precinct thing where said food place was, there was drunks and druggies lying in the pavement soaking in their own vomit and urine, Mrs Westy and Mrs Wesbus had an unpleasant stalker in McD’s and couldn’t get back to me and the bikes quick enough!!

Probably similar to your trip to Southampton when visiting Jackd 😂😂

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Couple of entries today. The stellplatz on a working farm where we have stayed an extra night and us wondering around on the motorbike in the area

We eyed this stell up from home owing to its confirmed price of 12 euros (leccy and showers extra) and location to Salzburg.
It is a working farm and you are just behind the cow shed and against a railway. Neither of which have worried us in the... https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/paulbauernhof-stellplatz.512/

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Couple of entries today. The stellplatz on a working farm where we have stayed an extra night and us wondering around on the motorbike in the area

We eyed this stell up from home owing to its confirmed price of 12 euros (leccy and showers extra) and location to Salzburg.
It is a working farm and you are just behind the cow shed and against a railway. Neither of which have worried us in the... https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/paulbauernhof-stellplatz.512/
I think I might have missed a few throunals, I’m gonna have to make sure I read them all on carinthia, Jon you’ve really done the area proud, and shown me lots of places I didn’t know, for that I thank you for your time and effort for showing everyone this wonderful part of the world:notworthy2::notworthy2:

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
You really are a Billa convert👍👍😁😁

Now for the Edeka in Germany👍👌🏼
We passed an Edeka today. Wife passed comment it was expensive last time we went into one but I remember cheap booze and wine.
After your form on the Billa she's going to have to have a rethink 😉

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
I think I might have missed a few throunals, I’m gonna have to make sure I read them all on carinthia, Jon you’ve really done the area proud, and shown me lots of places I didn’t know, for that I thank you for your time and effort for showing everyone this wonderful part of the world:notworthy2::notworthy2:
That's what I like about the journal side of things.
I can find what I m looking for via the journal, a word search or the map and revisiting the information without potentially scrolling through many pages of chit chat.

You can just go to the Carinthia journal and go back as and when you want and hopefully the title points you in the right direction

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
CamperManLez bike, motorbike or motorhome travel ?

I ve decided that if an item requires a journal entry from travelling along the alpinestraße I LL create its own entry and put alpinestraße in the title for ease of finding it.

Noted from first day is there is a umleitung after you torn right after ruhpolding which takes you to Berchtesgaden via bad reichenhall.
I wasn't going to bother with them as I knew about hintersee from previous.
There are a number of speed cameras.

Entries for today will be bad reichenhall könnigsee and hintersee. We are staying at ruhpolding and I LL write that up tomorrow as we will go the other way then

First one.

The finish, or the start in our case, of the alpinestraße.
We have been here before and as non paid up members of the TFG group I didn't think we would ever come again.
The Eagles nest is here. We don't know how much it costs because it will be... https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/könnigsee-alpinestraße.514/

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Number 2.

Imagine what the colours are like on a sunny day !

We passed this stunning lake 8 years ago but we're in the motorhome and it was aovely day and nowhere for us to park.

Today we were on a motorbike and it was cloudy.
If I were coming here in a motorhome I would park just prior to the actual... https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/hintersee-alpinestraße.515/

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Number 3

We passed this stunning lake 8 years ago but we're in the motorhome and it was aovely day and nowhere for us to park.

If I were coming here in a motorhome I would park just prior to the actual... https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/hintersee-alpinestraße.515/

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
One thing that is noticeable after today is to allow sufficient time to do the things just off the alpinestraße.
We have missed a gorge walk and 2 waterfalls today because of having to wait for her to get ready.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Number 2.

Imagine what the colours are like on a sunny day !

You rotten so and so🤬😁😁 now I’m gonna have to do the alpenstraße again, this time in the Moho!
Lovely round that area😍😍

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
You rotten so and so🤬😁😁 now I’m gonna have to do the alpenstraße again, this time in the Moho!
Lovely round that area😍😍
Are you politely, yet informatively, without breaking any rules, advising me that I have spelt alpinestraße incorrectly ?

I feel some editing coming on !

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Editing done !

We just went for a walk round this town and easily the best we have been to on this holiday.
Really really pleasantly surprised.

I ought to add that Eva Braun's sister lived here.

Having made the decision to do some of the Alpenstraße we went for a place where we could stay 2 nights and travel on the motorbike in both directions.
Berchtesgaden is 44 KMs away so this place seemed ideal.

You are allowed to stay 48 hours... https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...-stellplatz-not-the-campsite-alpenstraße.517/

Jan 27, 2019
Teesside
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2016
CamperManLez bike, motorbike or motorhome travel ?

I ve decided that if an item requires a journal entry from travelling along the alpinestraße I LL create its own entry and put alpinestraße in the title for ease of finding it.

Noted from first day is there is a umleitung after you torn right after ruhpolding which takes you to Berchtesgaden via bad reichenhall.
I wasn't going to bother with them as I knew about hintersee from previous.
There are a number of speed cameras.

Entries for today will be bad reichenhall könnigsee and hintersee. We are staying at ruhpolding and I LL write that up tomorrow as we will go the other way then

First one.

The finish, or the start in our case, of the alpinestraße.
We have been here before and as non paid up members of the TFG group I didn't think we would ever come again.
The Eagles nest is here. We don't know how much it costs because it will be... https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/könnigsee-alpinestraße.514/
Boxer PVC, I will start at Lindau and see how far I get but certainly as far as the Garmisch area. I have a problem with my left arm so not sure how it will hold up with all the steering work on the winding roads. Look forward to seeing you pics etc

Jan 27, 2019
Teesside
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2016
Boxer PVC, I will start at Lindau and see how far I get but certainly as far as the Garmisch area. I have a problem with my left arm so not sure how it will hold up with all the steering work on the winding roads. Look forward to seeing you pics etc
Lindau area start is because I am visiting some museums in that area and coming over from Switzerland

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Road (what we have done of it as much was detour) is very wide and the bends are sweeping more than turning.
Plenty of red chevrons where not really necessary and we hit a great long stretch of 60 kph which wasn't necessary either. Only a few stretches of 100 kph but no turns that required overplanning for them.

This is not advice but you could easily drive this bit with one hand at 6 O clock and a coffee in the other ! (I kept spilling my coffee on the bike when I tried though)

CamperManLez

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
An update of 3 further photos for Ruhpolding

3 entries today. One is a pretty gorge type walk another is the lakes we swam at and the a general where we have been.

Number 1

Between Weit in Inkl and Ruhpolding on the Alpenstrabbe are a series of immaculately clear lakes.
There is general dump the motor in a lay by parking which is what we did but P3 And P4 which are marked up might be the best ones as more people... https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/weitsee-alpenstraße.518/

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09