OutTheOffice

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2016
We are thinking about selling our 2019 Vantage Neo, and potentially returning to the world of the wobble box. I have asked Vantage if they would be interested in buying it back, they have said yes but only on a sale or return basis with a commission of 15%. They have estimated that we might be able to get high £50's for it, which potentailly gives them around £9k. My reaction has been wow way to much, am I right and if so any other thoughts would be appreciated

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I believe that Motorhome Depot charge a fixed fee of £3,000.

For that they will:
  1. advertise it on various platforms,
  2. vet all potential buyers,
  3. conduct accompanied viewings
  4. undertake the financial transactions
Worth giving them a call.

Ian

OP
OP
OutTheOffice

OutTheOffice

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2016
I think ask Simon Select. He's in the trade and no doubt if its nice would be interested.
Thank you, yes its in decent condition, all hab checks done and all mechanical services. We are doing an extension on our house which is costing alot more than we expected so some extra cash is needed

OP
OP
OutTheOffice

OutTheOffice

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2016
I believe that Motorhome Depot charge a fixed fee of £3,000.

For that they will:
  1. advertise it on various platforms,
  2. vet all potential buyers,
  3. conduct accompanied viewings
  4. undertake the financial transactions
Worth giving them a call.

Ian
Thank you -- thats a bit more reasonable they have some great reviews, Ill call them next week

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We are thinking about selling our 2019 Vantage Neo, and potentially returning to the world of the wobble box. I have asked Vantage if they would be interested in buying it back, they have said yes but only on a sale or return basis with a commission of 15%. They have estimated that we might be able to get high £50's for it, which potentailly gives them around £9k. My reaction has been wow way to much, am I right and if so any other thoughts would be appreciated
on a sale or return sale the dealer would be supplying a guarantee. probably why he wants 15%?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Be very very cautious on giving your motorhome to a dealer on sale or return. The dealer I chose was well established and reputable. He sold my van without telling me them went bust. I lost the lot. I wasn't the only one. He committed hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of vehicle fraud to many other people.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Be very very cautious on giving your motorhome to a dealer on sale or return. The dealer I chose was well established and reputable. He sold my van without telling me them went bust. I lost the lot. I wasn't the only one. He committed hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of vehicle fraud to many other people.
Who was that?

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
That's awful and a total nightmare.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Camper NE. He sold my vans for a few years and I always had a lot of respect for him. He was also refinancing customers vans without there knowledge.
So he was a crook rather than a dealer?

How did he obtain your spare keys and logbook, as normal practice appears to be that you only release them when you get your money?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
So he was a crook rather than a dealer?

How did he obtain your spare keys and logbook, as normal practice appears to be that you only release them when you get your money?
After he sold 5 vans belonging to me previously I fell into the trap of trust. As I was going away for 3 months I gave him everything. Stupid me.

Jim

Ringleader
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
SMC recently told me that they would want to make 10k on my van.

Depends what they mean by 'make'. Selling for 20k more than they bought and the actual profit might well be closer to £10k

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
After he sold 5 vans belonging to me previously I fell into the trap of trust. As I was going away for 3 months I gave him everything. Stupid me.
That’s awful 😞

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
I think what they make is not relevant it’s what you want to get out of the deal that is.

I have a mate who deals in higher end cars who sells my cars as he has the contacts can supply a warranty and if required by the buyer finance, never asked what he makes as I’m just happy to get what I tell him I want for my cars.
Very often he’s sold before I take it over🤔🤔

Just say what you need for your van and then if it’s worth the dealers time they will sell it.

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Depends what they mean by 'make'. Selling for 20k more than they bought and the actual profit might well be closer to £10k
I fail to see that….

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Dorest E
Exp
Jul 22
I fail to see that….
VAT on the profit element, PDI prep, warranty, repairs to get back up to spec, overheads, wages,,service, MOT
I suppose 20k is a big of a high figure but I'd say 10k profit is what I'd expect a dealer to need to make to cover all of the above and to take a drink out of it for themselves

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
exactly what coastal cruiser said.
some people get traders to sell the vans but dont want to be paid "trade" price.
Not saying this is the case with the op of course but confusion on the sellers behalf.

We are all here to make money. Some traders want more margin than others.

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
VAT on the profit element, PDI prep, warranty, repairs to get back up to spec, overheads, wages,,service, MOT
I suppose 20k is a big of a high figure but I'd say 10k profit is what I'd expect a dealer to need to make to cover all of the above and to take a drink out of it for themselves
I expected 10k, not 20k

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Happy to sell it for you, it a lovely van.
Most will charge 10% for a commission sale. Normally from your drive. Any problems they will say there are a broker not a dealer.
We are a dealer that brokers vans. Which means we sell the van for you. Take over any after care, warranty issues, scams etc etc.
We will agree an amount we return you and we take the risk with prep work etc not you. Once we are both in agreement we then put our bit on top.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Happy to sell it for you, it a lovely van.
Most will charge 10% for a commission sale. Normally from your drive. Any problems they will say there are a broker not a dealer.
We are a dealer that brokers vans. Which means we sell the van for you. Take over any after care, warranty issues, scams etc etc.
We will agree an amount we return you and we take the risk with prep work etc not you. Once we are both in agreement we then put our bit on top.
That seems to work well
Well, have just sold my PVC Boxer through Select Motorhomes in Newton Abbot, Devon.
In a nutshell, can wholly recommend them as an example of just what can be achieved in the business.Below are my thoughts on the process.
A friend of mine was selling his van through a local firm in Sussex and I just didn't get the right feeling about using that local company,I'd had one odd, costly experience with them, do you know what I mean when that happens? I was preparing the advert for the normal sites and considering Motorhome Depot when, purely on the recommendation of funsters I decided to give Simon a call at Select motorhomes in Devon on the off chance that they were looking for stock.
Simon got back straight away and I sent photos of the van. A prompt reply from Simon and a discussion on potential sales price was had, with both Simon and me being realistic about what the vehicle could achieve, being that it had some lovely extras, recent refurb, services, mot, low mileage etc

I am completely comfortable with the fact that dealers have a business to run and profit to make and I knew I needed a particular figure from the van, to move to an automatic car to ease a very creaky back issue.
Phone agreement made, Simon said he would send someone up to pick up the vehicle immediately, I could hold on to the log book and spare keys.
So, still a tiny bit unsure, (that local firm was still haunting me) I told Simon that I'd bring the van down myself if that was ok.

So a nice drive all the way to Devon, van running beautiful as ever, then....Honiton.... a major crash happened (car v digger) some five vehicles ahead of me which then blocked the road for hours and hours. (Apparently this happens quite a bit on that narrow road)
Cleverly (so I thought) I eventually managed a dodgy reverse, with the help of an HGV driver who backed his huge rig up for me, then cut through some back roads along with a thousand other clever people..Jesus, what a mistake, so when I arrived in Newton Abbot, via Mars, I was flustered and knackered to say the least and the van was covered in Devon cow poo looking a right state.

Arriving at the Select site you see just what a great plot it is, right on the corner of a busy road with load of footfall (car fall?) and easy to find.
It's clearly work in progress, (fishtank was just being installed that day in the customer area) but its clean, modern and feels very professional.
Two lovely dogs greet you as you go in.
Despite the state of the van, Simon was positive about it and dropped me off at the train station with a ticket, after minimal paperwork and a few cups of coffee . All the people that work at Select have loads of motorhome retail experience, there's no besuited kids with dodgy haircuts.
A week later, the van was cleaned and brought up to pristine condition, they had found a buyer for the van and a few phone calls later to sort out what happens next etc it had all gone through nicely, to a new owner for our beloved van.
Simple as that.
No buyers turning up at house or weird phone calls asking odd questions, no silly negotiation over little scuffs or whatever, all in all it couldn't have been better.

I cant comment on the van buying experience there, but I did see the way that several prospective customers were treated on the sales floor, and listened to how people were spoken to on the phone, it was really impressive, no slick sales patter just good people doing good business.
If I ever come back to motor homing I'd be very happy to have them source a vehicle for me and I hope this review helps someone else thinking of buying or selling there.

Great stuff Simon, best of luck with the venture
and the fish,

Richard-Uzsnowdrop

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back