Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
Love our Iveco based coachbuilt Laika, particularly the way it drives with rear wheel drive (just a personal preference for us)
Question is which 2nd hand A class would you recommend based on experience that is also rear wheel drive for sub 40k - if this is even possible?
Needs to have full size fridge and cooker too if possible….not asking for much😂

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Older Sprinter Mercs are rear wheel drive. They introduced a front wheel drive a few years ago although some models are still RWD. I have a Merc Hymer 56 reg. Generally the Merc hymer models end with a 0 or 5. Mine's a B525 which is about the smallest at 6.4m.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
Older Sprinter Mercs are rear wheel drive. They introduced a front wheel drive a few years ago although some models are still RWD. I have a Merc Hymer 56 reg. Generally the Merc hymer models end with a 0 or 5. Mine's a B525 which is about the smallest at 6.4m.
Thanks for your reply and info, I had no idea Merc had introduced a front wheel drive.
Can I ask how you find the Hymer compared to other Motorhomes you’ve had - I do love the look of them:)

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Thanks for your reply and info, I had no idea Merc had introduced a front wheel drive.
Can I ask how you find the Hymer compared to other Motorhomes you’ve had - I do love the look of them:)
We had only owned campervans before the Hymer so I can't give an informed opinion but we like it a lot. We have needed to recoat the shower tray, replace the leisure batteries , reseal the skylights but not a lot else on the Hymer side. I think the 3 way fridge won't last for ever, its quite rusty at the back but I'm going to leave that until it fails as it works okay at present.The consensus seems to be that older vans are better built; the financial crash of 2007 may have been a factor.
Regarding the Mercedes side, we've replaced the starter battery (was the original from 2006) and the starter motor, put on a new exhaust and regassed the Aircon. Considering it 18 years old that's not bad in our book.
RMB and Concord also build on RWD chassis and with N and B are definitely v well put together- better than Hymers.
Enjoy looking!
It's worth spending a while reading through old threads covering the various brands and chassis types. It was helpful for us in coming to an informed decisions.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
Love our Iveco based coachbuilt Laika, particularly the way it drives with rear wheel drive (just a personal preference for us)
Question is which 2nd hand A class would you recommend based on experience that is also rear wheel drive for sub 40k - if this is even possible?
I have an excellent Mobilvetta, ticks all your boxes for about £25k. 👀😬🤣

Sorry, couldn't help myself!

(I'll give you a proper answer in about 6 months!)

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I have an excellent Mobilvetta, ticks all your boxes for about £25k. 👀😬🤣

Sorry, couldn't help myself!

(I'll give you a proper answer in about 6 months!)
Not yet you don't 🤣

I'll take £24k 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Here you go

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
Carthagos on an iveco daily, as funflair mentioned the N&B,s will be a similar year. We have a 2007 on an iveco daily, it does give a little more confidence on wet grassy/muddy campsites. Plus I belive the payload is considerably higher.
Yup, our payload is just under a ton…although we don’t really need that much - yet

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
There are nice N+B Flairs around on IVECO chassis but you have to be quick as they won't hang around long, I would think 2004-2005 would be in the budget.
I’ve always wondered how well they drive - they look soo tall and always seem to have a small fridge🙈

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
We had only owned campervans before the Hymer so I can't give an informed opinion but we like it a lot. We have needed to recoat the shower tray, replace the leisure batteries , reseal the skylights but not a lot else on the Hymer side. I think the 3 way fridge won't last for ever, its quite rusty at the back but I'm going to leave that until it fails as it works okay at present.The consensus seems to be that older vans are better built; the financial crash of 2007 may have been a factor.
Regarding the Mercedes side, we've replaced the starter battery (was the original from 2006) and the starter motor, put on a new exhaust and regassed the Aircon. Considering it 18 years old that's not bad in our book.
RMB and Concord also build on RWD chassis and with N and B are definitely v well put together- better than Hymers.
Enjoy looking!
It's worth spending a while reading through old threads covering the various brands and chassis types. It was helpful for us in coming to an informed decisions.
Useful info, thanks🙏🏼

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Twin rear wheel drive...... Sub £40K.... LPG too :)

Screenshot_20240624-200859.png

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back