Rules for bringing alcohol into Morocco (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 1, 2020
Brassempouy, south west France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B878 SL
Exp
Since Feb 2020
We are en route to Morocco for the first time and I've just found an almost full bottle of scotch in one of our motorhome cupboards that I'd forgotten about. Am I allowed to take this into Morocco? I'm expecting comments telling me to drink it all before we get on the ferry but for me that's a tall order. Does anyone know the answer to my dilemma? Am I allowed to take an opened bottle into Morocco?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We are en route to Morocco for the first time and I've just found an almost full bottle of scotch in one of our motorhome cupboards that I'd forgotten about. Am I allowed to take this into Morocco? I'm expecting comments telling me to drink it all before we get on the ferry but for me that's a tall order. Does anyone know the answer to my dilemma? Am I allowed to take an opened bottle into Morocco?

I have had a quick look through on Google and although I could not find a definitive answer on bringing alcohol in Morocco, it seems okay for you to drink alcohol in Morocco as long as you are not publically drinking it, as Morocco is quite a liberal country in comparison to other Muslim nations

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Google seems to say:

"Many Moroccans drink alcohol but are restricted to drinking indoors. You can legally bring alcohol into Morocco with you, but there are limits. The exact limits are not clear but it is generally accepted that you can bring 1 litre of alcohol in with you."

Beware of Belgian smugglers :giggle:

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
We’ve been twice and on each occasion we took spirits and c.70 bottles of wine. No one took any notice at the border. We will do the same in January next year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2022
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
You can buy alcohol in Morocco too. Carrefour have separate entrances for the alcohol department. Sometimes downstairs under the main supermarket or they have a separate external door.
There is no need to take gallons of the stuff into the country!

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
IMHO its better to take what you want to drink in with you and enough for the whole time. We tend to buy the cardboard boxes of wine when we re passing through France as they stack well. I did notice the Carrefour in la Linea had boxes earlier this year. You can buy booze in Morocco but its expensive and limited choice. There are more places that will serve you beer and wine with a meal although many still ask you to be discrete.

Morocco does produce wine and beer and some people actually like it, but not to everyones taste.

Upvote 0
Dec 21, 2014
Littleborough, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
2015 for a year then a break. Now a newbie again!
How can you FORGET about a bottle of scotch?? Sacrilege.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
We took that much we are bringing some back with us. Wine in cartons and the rest stashed around the van. No one was really interested in looking in the van but we were last off the ferry. All the drug dogs had been put back in the kennels and they were too busy stripping 3 moroccan van full to the gunnels with stuff and piled high on top of the vans with walking frames etc..
Just take what you need .The King is promoting tourism .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
No one really cares and the Port staff are more likely just to ask you for a beer, just be open and don’t worry, I don’t know anyone whose had a problems, now drugs….. they’ll throw away the key :eek:

Upvote 0
May 24, 2008
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Fortero
Exp
Not had a problem with"forgetting"the Scotch,Gin ect in the van getting into into Morocco but make sure ALL PAPER WORK is in order
Just be careful when leaving Morocco not to have anything you shouldn't have, as the van has to go through a Xray scanner before
getting on the ferry Just enjoy a wonderful country

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back