Routes on East side of France (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 16, 2022
Funster No
MH
detleffs
We have done the Western routes roughly following n10 before but are headed to Nice next month and are after some non-toll recommendations. Google suggests a rough axis of Reims, Troyes, Dijon, Bourg en Bresse and Sisteron. We would welcome any views please. We have plenty of time. Thank you.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
We are going Eastern route next week.
I like to get past Luxembourg on day 1 ( Dudelange with Rodemack as Plan B) and we will then head to cascades du Herrison as we havent been for a while, dropping down past Geneva, making our minds up about Vercors then probably Gap to lac de serre poncon as there is cycle route I fancy around Digne somewhere but then we will be around Provence including Mercantour for a while.

We dont use tolls though

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Where in the U.K. will you be starting from, we use the Hull - Rotterdam crossing which makes sense if heading to Nice and you’re from north. This route means you can head through Belgium- Lux toll free, once in France it’s still toll free for a while and once toll starts the alternative isn’t to bad, we’ve mainly used the tolls due to time restraints. We’re just looking into our first retirement trip of 60 days, this crossing is £400 return, what I save on fuel, tolls and time is worth it.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
We are heading down from Dunkirk to Chenas outside Macon.
Stayed at a few lovely sites.
1000024772.jpg

PXL_20240812_170822020.jpg

PXL_20240810_151510053.jpg

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
My chosen route would be:
Home to Harwich (or Hull) to arrive at 8pm.
Harwich/Hook ferry overnight in a cabin for night one.
Green Camping on the Rhine near Koblenz for night two,
Swiss border area for night three
The Italian lakes for night four
Nice for night five.

Or with two drivers you blast the route through in a single day as it's 850 miles, or one driver in two days
(Calais/Nice is about the same miles/time but you pay tolls and the route is fairly boring, the ferry/train crossing is also not as nice and may cost more)

FYI We live within an hours drive of Dover/Folkstone.
We nearly always use the Harwich/Hook crossing, as the actual door to door time is faster
(and the cost compared to the Channel is usually similar, but you get a nice cabin as part of the deal!)

1723744932873.png

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Where in the U.K. will you be starting from, we use the Hull - Rotterdam crossing which makes sense if heading to Nice and you’re from north. This route means you can head through Belgium- Lux toll free, once in France it’s still toll free for a while and once toll starts the alternative isn’t to bad, we’ve mainly used the tolls due to time restraints. We’re just looking into our first retirement trip of 60 days, this crossing is £400 return, what I save on fuel, tolls and time is worth it.
We agree with you on the use of the Hull/Rotterdam ferry. We start from York and the saving of the long, boring trip down the length of England is worth the cost of the ferry. The short time in Belgium isn’t too bad and once in France the roads are great.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

AGT

Nov 22, 2021
Edinburgh, UK
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since 2021
We have a base in Tourrettes Sur Loup which is in the Nice Metropole and have gone up and down the East side of France a number of times.

Mostly we use the Autoroute to/from Lyon, but South of Lyon would head straight down towards Nice. If you follow the Route Napoleon from Grenoble you will have an excellent road and a great selection of places to stop - Sisteron, Digne les Bains and Castellane. Castellane sits at the East end of the Gorge du Verdon and you can venture along there without too much worry (the road on the North side of the Gorge is better). Castellane has an excellent aire in the centre of the town and there are lots of campsites.

From Grenoble you can also head for the Far East - picking up the Routes des Grandes Alpes which will run you all the way to Nice. From Grenoble you head into the Briancon valley over Col du Lautauret (no problem). There is an excellent aire at the start of the valley in Le Monetier Les Bains and also a good camp site. From there it’s an easy drive to Barcelonette which is a very pretty town with lots to do if you hike or cycle. From Barcelonette (in the summer only) the heroes route is over La Bonette which is allegedly Europe’s highest paved road. It’s a good and interesting road, and not too challenging. You come down off the Bonette into the Mercatour park which is really lovely and directly to the North of Nice. There are not a huge number of campsites in the Mercatour although there are aires at some of the ski stations, Isola (town - not ski station) and Sospel. We have been at the excellent campsite in Roquebillieres this week to escape the heat and were evacuated this morning because of a flood alert!

Check the weather before opting for the Route des Grandes Alpes. It could be very different from the Route Napoleon. Also check the exact Routes des Grandes Alpes which you are following - much of it is optional and so don’t just follow the signs without researching what you are getting yourself into. The main road down through Isola to Nice is fine.

And if you are in the area, don’t miss spending a night or two in the free aire at Gourdon. Beautiful little village and fantastic views over the whole bay. Best approached and exited from Pres du Lac rather than Pont sur Loup as it’s a much better road.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
And if you are in the area, don’t miss spending a night or two in the free aire at Gourdon. Beautiful little village and fantastic views over the whole bay. Best approached and exited from Pres du Lac rather than Pont sur Loup as it’s a much better road.

If anyone has seen the film ‘A good year’ with Russel Crowe ,that’s the village it’s based in,and it is beautiful.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
Aug 16, 2022
Funster No
MH
detleffs
We are going Eastern route next week.
I like to get past Luxembourg on day 1 ( Dudelange with Rodemack as Plan B) and we will then head to cascades du Herrison as we havent been for a while, dropping down past Geneva, making our minds up about Vercors then probably Gap to lac de serre poncon as there is cycle route I fancy around Digne somewhere but then we will be around Provence including Mercantour for a while.

We dont use tolls though
Thanks. No intention to use tolls either

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
Aug 16, 2022
Funster No
MH
detleffs
My chosen route would be:
Home to Harwich (or Hull) to arrive at 8pm.
Harwich/Hook ferry overnight in a cabin for night one.
Green Camping on the Rhine near Koblenz for night two,
Swiss border area for night three
The Italian lakes for night four
Nice for night five.

Or with two drivers you blast the route through in a single day as it's 850 miles, or one driver in two days
(Calais/Nice is about the same miles/time but you pay tolls and the route is fairly boring, the ferry/train crossing is also not as nice and may cost more)

FYI We live within an hours drive of Dover/Folkstone.
We nearly always use the Harwich/Hook crossing, as the actual door to door time is faster
(and the cost compared to the Channel is usually similar, but you get a nice cabin as part of the deal!)

View attachment 935990
Thanks. We're heading through Eastern France to be able to enjoy the benefits of grape harvest time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
Aug 16, 2022
Funster No
MH
detleffs
We have a base in Tourrettes Sur Loup which is in the Nice Metropole and have gone up and down the East side of France a number of times.

Mostly we use the Autoroute to/from Lyon, but South of Lyon would head straight down towards Nice. If you follow the Route Napoleon from Grenoble you will have an excellent road and a great selection of places to stop - Sisteron, Digne les Bains and Castellane. Castellane sits at the East end of the Gorge du Verdon and you can venture along there without too much worry (the road on the North side of the Gorge is better). Castellane has an excellent aire in the centre of the town and there are lots of campsites.

From Grenoble you can also head for the Far East - picking up the Routes des Grandes Alpes which will run you all the way to Nice. From Grenoble you head into the Briancon valley over Col du Lautauret (no problem). There is an excellent aire at the start of the valley in Le Monetier Les Bains and also a good camp site. From there it’s an easy drive to Barcelonette which is a very pretty town with lots to do if you hike or cycle. From Barcelonette (in the summer only) the heroes route is over La Bonette which is allegedly Europe’s highest paved road. It’s a good and interesting road, and not too challenging. You come down off the Bonette into the Mercatour park which is really lovely and directly to the North of Nice. There are not a huge number of campsites in the Mercatour although there are aires at some of the ski stations, Isola (town - not ski station) and Sospel. We have been at the excellent campsite in Roquebillieres this week to escape the heat and were evacuated this morning because of a flood alert!

Check the weather before opting for the Route des Grandes Alpes. It could be very different from the Route Napoleon. Also check the exact Routes des Grandes Alpes which you are following - much of it is optional and so don’t just follow the signs without researching what you are getting yourself into. The main road down through Isola to Nice is fine.

Really helpful thanks AGT. We're 3750kg so I don't want to too much 'mountaineering'. Route Napoleon looks good.

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09

Have I been looking for you !!!
Firstly great advice about those couple of routes and good to know (with incoming hot weather) that there are still cooler places.
We are relatively well versed in Provence but only touched the Mercantour travelling through. I have to echo your thoughts on Gourdon and the picnic area is a far better stopover than the official aire and really great views of the Antibes peninsular.
We have had the Wild Swimming in France book for a number of years and done all the clues of the Esteron and I ve found a couple more clues to do and some good balcony roads though we will be on E bikes not motorbike.
I have all the wild swimming points marked down, Beaux villages, Balcony roads, aires but what I am missing that your local knowledge will assist me with ?
Is there anywhere along the valley of the Vesubie that you can stop overnight and leave the van during the day (no marked aires) ?
Any clues or swimming gorges in the mercantour I should be aware of ?
Any local secret spots (quite happy to receive a pm if they are to remain secret)

Our current plan is slightly changing to coming via Lyon (not through) and heading straight to Uzes to pick up the wine then crossing the Rhone to Cavaillon and following the disused cycle route to Forcalquier then hitting the Mercantour so possibly from 1st September to 10th we will be around there looking to find a nuit marche or fete on a Friday or Saturday night. Are you aware of any around that time ?
We ll probably follow the coastal cycle route round to near Marseilles after Mercantour.

Any guidance would be gratefully received and I am very jealous. 10-30 miles North of Nice to Toulon is regularly my choice of the best place in France.

Upvote 0

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Don’t forget the three lakes region in the Jura😉 our local hidden secret. Swiss/French answer to the Lake District, just with nicer weather 😂

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
You did say you have lots of time but have not told us your ferry route?
I am on my way out 27/08/24 and retracing my motorcycle route for old time's sake as I have not used it since the Hull-Zeebrugge route stopped around the time of Covid.
So my route will start at (Dieppe) (heading for Switzerland then the Italian Lakes) but then head up to the Franco/Belgian border for my trip down memory lane mixing motorway and back roads for variety. Adapting it for a Calais or Dunkirk start:

Day 1 - Calais/Lille/E42 Tournai-Mons/R5 to N40/Beaumont/Phillipeville/Givet/Wellin/then E411&E25 to Luxembourg/A6&A3 thru L'bourg then/A13 & A8 to Zweibrucken/ then 424/D662 & D1062 thru Vosges du Nord to Haguenau environs overnight.
Day 2 - Over the Rhine at Baden-Baden then down the B500 through the Black Forest with a small detour via Wolfach crossing the border into Switzerland at Waldshut-Tiengen.

You could could take the toll free German Autobahn south from the Baden-Baden/Haguenau area instead of the B500 if you want to speed up your journey. From somewhere in the Basel region you can either use motorways through Switzerland (and pay the vignette) or head across in the direction of Lake Geneva then straight south.

Hope that helps?

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Our current plan is slightly changing to coming via Lyon (not through) and heading straight to Uzes to pick up the wine then crossing the Rhone to Cavaillon and following the disused cycle route to Forcalquier then hitting the Mercantour so possibly from 1st September to 10th we will be around there looking to find a nuit marche or fete on a Friday or Saturday night. Are you aware of any around that time ?

We are going to the vineyard in Uzes again Jon,at the end of Sept, a lovely place you shared with me a few years ago :cool: (y)

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
Do you mind if I ask where you booked Hull to Rotterdam return for £400.Best i could get was £550 through the Caravan Club.That is for a Monday sailing in September!

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We are going to the vineyard in Uzes again Jon,at the end of Sept, a lovely place you shared with me a few years ago :cool: (y)
Where do you stay for Uzés?

The site we used to visit closed quite a few years ago.

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Do you mind if I ask where you booked Hull to Rotterdam return for £400.Best i could get was £550 through the Caravan Club.That is for a Monday sailing in September!

We haven’t actually booked it yet as we’re waiting for our end date at work before booking, I used the P&O website sailing out and back on a Tuesday. The price came in at a couple of pounds over £400 for 2 berth cabin, we normally upgrade to a 4 berth to save climbing into top bunk. I just checked again and for a cabin with double bed it’s coming in at £440, we have a 7m van with 2 adults.

I always booked through CMC until a couple of years ago, I still get a quote from them and sometimes phone P&O to see if I can get better prices, the price stayed above is just on their website.

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Where do you stay for Uzés?

The site we used to visit closed quite a few years ago.

If you go, the wine and in particular the rose, is very nice and last bought at 13 euros for 5 litres 2 years ago.
The link will also show you a voie verte or disused railway line which was recently made and you basically cycle to (and across if you want as the PdG is a cycle route !!!) Pont Du Gard with no parking fees !

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010

If you go, the wine and in particular the rose, is very nice and last bought at 13 euros for 5 litres 2 years ago.
The link will also show you a voie verte or disused railway line which was recently made and you basically cycle to (and across if you want as the PdG is a cycle route !!!) Pont Du Gard with no parking fees !

Yes,we liked the Rosè as well (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
Aug 16, 2022
Funster No
MH
detleffs
You did say you have lots of time but have not told us your ferry route?
I am on my way out 27/08/24 and retracing my motorcycle route for old time's sake as I have not used it since the Hull-Zeebrugge route stopped around the time of Covid.
So my route will start at (Dieppe) (heading for Switzerland then the Italian Lakes) but then head up to the Franco/Belgian border for my trip down memory lane mixing motorway and back roads for variety. Adapting it for a Calais or Dunkirk start:

Day 1 - Calais/Lille/E42 Tournai-Mons/R5 to N40/Beaumont/Phillipeville/Givet/Wellin/then E411&E25 to Luxembourg/A6&A3 thru L'bourg then/A13 & A8 to Zweibrucken/ then 424/D662 & D1062 thru Vosges du Nord to Haguenau environs overnight.
Day 2 - Over the Rhine at Baden-Baden then down the B500 through the Black Forest with a small detour via Wolfach crossing the border into Switzerland at Waldshut-Tiengen.

You could could take the toll free German Autobahn south from the Baden-Baden/Haguenau area instead of the B500 if you want to speed up your journey. From somewhere in the Basel region you can either use motorways through Switzerland (and pay the vignette) or head across in the direction of Lake Geneva then straight south.

Hope that helps?
Thank you. We’re headed down through France South from Reims but will look at your ‘out’ route for our return.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back