Route for Autumn/Winter Trip Southern Europe (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 13, 2024
Funster No
MH
Looking
Hello,

We're planning an autumn/winter in southern Europe. Currently near Milan and trying to decide between two options. Either south through Italy to Bari and then the ferry to Greece, form there possibly on to Crete. The other option is across France, Northern Spain and down Portugal.

It's me and the wife and two kids - 1&3 years old. We started in Santander then drove down to Málaga, up the east coast of Spain, south of France then into Italy.

Obviously with the route to Portugal there's an element of backtracking and it's a bit less exciting not going to new countries apart from Portugal. What I thought was in favour of this option is how much better Western Europe is set up for motorhomes than Greece and how long it will take to drive back from Greece.

Any thoughts about either idea would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dogbloke

Free Member
Sep 1, 2024
Funster No
MH
Burstner 570
Morning. If you are thinking of ending up in the Algarve, I can recommend the N2 historic road through central Portugal. The road has mainly been bypassed and is now being promoted as a route for tourism, but few seem to travel, motorbikes mainly. Plenty of free places to stay (campercontact). Starts In Chaves on the Spain border and finishes about 730km later in Faro. I drove it in May and it's fantastic. A trip now avoids the summer heat inland.
Highlight. Train ride from Peso da Regua (km 80) going east up the river valley. Free parkup and service by the river below the bridge 400 m from the train station.
Hope this helps?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Feb 13, 2024
Funster No
MH
Looking
Morning. If you are thinking of ending up in the Algarve, I can recommend the N2 historic road through central Portugal. The road has mainly been bypassed and is now being promoted as a route for tourism, but few seem to travel, motorbikes mainly. Plenty of free places to stay (campercontact). Starts In Chaves on the Spain border and finishes about 730km later in Faro. I drove it in May and it's fantastic. A trip now avoids the summer heat inland.
Highlight. Train ride from Peso da Regua (km 80) going east up the river valley. Free parkup and service by the river below the bridge 400 m from the train station.
Hope this helps?
That's very helpful thanks. Probably leaning a bit more towards Portugal at the moment.
After some more research it turns out getting to the Greek islands is surprisingly expensive. Still considering Ferry Ancona or Bari to Patras and staying on the mainland.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Have you considered both options?

Bari to Greece, Greece back to Bari, then across Italy to the port North of Rome and a ferry to Barcelona so you can finish wintering in SE Spain or indeed drive across to Portugal.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Or Bari to Dubrovnik then work your way north through Slovenia, Austria, Germany, France etc. the Ferry is less expensive than to Greece and less remote.
Or head further south in Italy - Matera, Lecce all beautiful places, then stop off at say Lake Trasimeno on the route back.
If a ferry is your thing then there are other options like Sicily, Sardinia and many more options. Very envious of the options open to you. Enjoy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Dogbloke

Free Member
Sep 1, 2024
Funster No
MH
Burstner 570
Or Bari to Dubrovnik then work your way north through Slovenia, Austria, Germany, France etc. the Ferry is less expensive than to Greece and less remote.
Or head further south in Italy - Matera, Lecce all beautiful places, then stop off at say Lake Trasimeno on the route back.
If a ferry is your thing then there are other options like Sicily, Sardinia and many more options. Very envious of the options open to you. Enjoy.
Robgoals,
If you (or anyone else) chooses Portugal, post back and maybe I can assist. I live there part time and have travelled the south and central areas extensively, so I may be able to recommend places to visit/parkup?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back