Road Tax Exempt

tony dellar

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
I seem to remember hearing somewhere that after a certain age motorhomes are road tax exempt ???

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Pre 1978 registered vehicles are except

two

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I seem to remember hearing somewhere that after a certain age motorhomes are road tax exempt ???

I think I might have heard that, too, down at the Red Lion after an unaccounted number of pints.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Pre 1978 registered vehicles are except
To be pedantic a vehicle is classified as 'Historic' and MOT and VED exempt at a rolling 40 years of age from Date of First Manufacture, not registration.
I've had a couple of 70's motorbikes reclassified 'Historic' on account of them being in the dealer's showroom for a year or so before they were sold and therefore had been registered with a V5c which reflected the date they were sold.
It was simply a case of proving the date of manufacture and getting the class changed at my local post office (plus a refund of the remaining VED that I'd already paid).
I'm not sure whether the date at which a m/h is classed as 'manufactured' would be that of the original base vehicle (I suspect it is) or the converter's date. After all, if you convert an ambulance/Transit van to a m/h the date of manufacture isn't changed and you don't get a later reg'n number. From what I've read on here it can take 6 months or more before a base vehicle becomes a m/h, is sold by the dealer and is registered with a V5c.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Not applicable to over 3500kg , also if the vehicle basics have been considerably modified .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back