Replacing the string on a Habitation Flyscreen (1 Viewer)

Nov 10, 2023
Funster No
MH
Avan Ovation M6 C Cl
Hi everyone. We are Australians living in an Avan Ovation M6 C Class Motorhome. The black string in our Concertina Sliding Door Screen has broken. Avan want me to have the entire door replaced for nearly $2000. What a joke! Has anyone had the same problem? There is nothing wrong with the concertina mesh, just the string. I am scared to remove the entire door unless I know I have a solution because we are living in the unit for the time being. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Luckily someone on this forum has usually had the same problem,kevlar kite string seems to be the answer đź‘Ť

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Hi everyone. We are Australians living in an Avan Ovation M6 C Class Motorhome. The black string in our Concertina Sliding Door Screen has broken. Avan want me to have the entire door replaced for nearly $2000. What a joke! Has anyone had the same problem? There is nothing wrong with the concertina mesh, just the string. I am scared to remove the entire door unless I know I have a solution because we are living in the unit for the time being. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have re-strung 2 of the Hartal pleated hab door fly screens and if you want it to last then use Kevlar kite string, not the cotton type string that the manufacturers have used.
It's a bit fiddly and doable and took me a couple of hours. I would advise you to take photos of the frame cornes and the route the cords take to refer back too before disassembling the frame.

I bought and use a 200lbs (90kg) breaking strain 1.1mm kevlar kite cord from Amazon. It comes with 31 metres on a reel which will restring 3 hab door flyscreens.
Here's a link to the cord that I bought.

Amazon product ASIN B07283VX4D
I used these "bootlace" crimps the terminate the ends of the string as per the originals. Just remove the plastic bit from the ferrules.

Amazon product ASIN B08N4PZGCQ
..... and here is a link that may be useful on replacing the cords from the Horrex website

https://www.horrex.nl/_files/ugd/14074c_37227aee5fd3463abc4cc71b1d603ef8.pdf

..... and an article on repairing the Hartal/Horrex door flyscreen.

1699600875390.png

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi John, just a small tip, don’t remove the broken cords until you are in the process of replacing them. It will help you know the effective lengths and route of the cord. They are not all the same.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back