Replace under engine cover? (2 Viewers)

Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
Looks like I’ve lost part of the underbody of a 2019 ducato? Not sure what the part is called/how to replace, is the eBay picture the right one? That looks like 3 parts?
Ironically, only noticed it was missing when someone on a site asked to check mine as they thought they had lost one, when I realized mine was too.
Drivers side bit has always been a bit lower, but passenger side always seemed fine before, do they have a tendency to fall off?

IMG_8781.jpeg

IMG_8780.jpeg

IMG_8783.png

OP
OP
I
Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
Ironically Van was in For MOT a few days before, presume they don’t remove it as part of Mot?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
May have been taken off for a service and not replaced correctly .. or a lazy arse just didn't put it back on..
Or it was damaged and fell off.

I believe it's called : >>>

Engine Splash Shield

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Are you sure you had one? Ours is a MY 2020 and the centre part of the cover has been absent from new. Always wondered why and whether I should fit one??

Dec 31, 2017
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Looks like I’ve lost part of the underbody of a 2019 ducato? Not sure what the part is called/how to replace, is the eBay picture the right one? That looks like 3 parts?
Ironically, only noticed it was missing when someone on a site asked to check mine as they thought they had lost one, when I realized mine was too.
Drivers side bit has always been a bit lower, but passenger side always seemed fine before, do they have a tendency to fall off?

View attachment 874792

View attachment 874793

View attachment 874794
They don’t normally come with the Centre panel fitted - cost savings - bought one from eBay and fitted it

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
The default from the factory is only one side panel to cover the belts. I fitted a full tray from eBay. It isn't too hard, but you need to install rivnuts into the frame, which is a bit of a faff (but possible) without the tool. The holes in the frame are already there, but they need a rivnut to give you a thread for the tray bolts to screw in to.

A full tray slightly reduces wind and road noise. It's supposed to improve drag, but I can't say I've noticed a difference in mpg. My A-class air intakes are very low, so it might reduce the chance of water ingestion. And it does keep the engine bay slightly cleaner... although most of the crud comes in through the front still. I've not noticed a change in engine temperature or the fan running more either.

Oct 20, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Which kit did you buy?
I bought from DSP in Poland August 2023 on eBay. I only bought the middle section as my 2022 Ducato has the L&R fitted.
Make sure you check the exhaust manifold position for the correct guard.
The guard for mine arrived folded, but unwrap and let it settle. Fitted perfectly and still good 👍.
I do recommend the seller and the guard.

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
21 Ducato based Swirf Kon-Tiki 599 no centre piece.
I'll be ordering it as soon as we're back from our USA roadtrip, though looking on ebay there are variations with and
without cutouts but listed as being for a 21 vehicle?

Cover.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
For everyone that's getting an under tray. Do you know how to fit the rivnuts?

Oct 20, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
See above post. I've fitted the centre piece myself.
If you look at the panel kit:
3 clips for the front and 3 screws;
2 bolts and rivnuts for the rear; and,
10 clips (5 a-side) down the side panels and screw fixes with the centre panel.
No holes to drill and initial loose fitting allows wiggle room.
However, the height to fit the rivnuts is tight. I managed with a proper tool, but I have the benefit of lifting with levelling system. I don't have the strength or room to install otherwise.
The rivnuts supplied are proper stainless.

Oct 20, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Presume as there are only 4 they are used for the left/right panel which are already installed.
Centre piece looks to be panel/expanding plastic fixings and the 2 screws fixing the bumper.
No Jez, look under your bumper - 3 holes for the clips 👍.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Isn't the middle one left off motorhomes deliberately to aid cooling?
The majority of the cooling is done through the radiator anyway. There's still tons of airflow out the back. You could argue that this forces more air past the engine.

In reality, I've not noticed any difference. The fan doesn't seem to kick on any more.

I think leaving the middle off is just a way to save a few quid off manufacturing bill of materials and reduction of a head on the assembly line.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
It was standard fit in our 2011 3.0 litre. Cost saving extreme to leave it off nowadays, but it saves time on servicing and avoids the dealers only fitting half the fixings after the service and it causing damage when it eventually falls off anyway 😠

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
It was standard fit in our 2011 3.0 litre. Cost saving extreme to leave it off nowadays, but it saves time on servicing and avoids the dealers only fitting half the fixings after the service and it causing damage when it eventually falls off anyway 😠
Not only do manufacturers not have to cover the cost of the part, they don't need a station on the line to fit it, or to pay the bloke to fit them, or the storage space in the warehouse, or the forklift and driver to move the rack of them to the lineside, or shipping costs from the freight company. Or the risk that it causes the line to stop because the delivery is late (although for the undertray, they'd just sit out in a car park, waiting to be rectified). The savings a manufacturer can make by eliminating a cheap part can be huge.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Not only do manufacturers not have to cover the cost of the part, they don't need a station on the line to fit it, or to pay the bloke to fit them, or the storage space in the warehouse, or the forklift and driver to move the rack of them to the lineside, or shipping costs from the freight company. Or the risk that it causes the line to stop because the delivery is late (although for the undertray, they'd just sit out in a car park, waiting to be rectified). The savings a manufacturer can make by eliminating a cheap part can be huge.
Hopefully the cost of a service will be reduced by £50 because of the 15mins less labour time - yeah right...

As for the additional work due to damage and deterioration in the lower engine bay - extra charges for all those bits - win win for the dealers ...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back