Renogy 3K Inverter...faulty from new? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 18, 2024
Funster No
MH
Single Decker Bus
Hi good people.
I purchased a Renogy 3000W inverter well in advance of being ready to install/use it....it's now 18mth old having been sat in its box in my garage. Now ready I connected it directly to 4 x 180Ah truck batteries in parallel, all new, all fully charged. I get a green light upon switching on but no AC out to either of the sockets.
Left for 5/10 minutes, then a relay is heard & supply is connected. After 1/2 mins, same relay & then powers off for a further 5/10 mins.
And thus it goes, over & over. Be it zero load or any of the 30 to 1200W I've tried....they all work a treat, until it shuts down.
To eliminate the usual suspects, wiring/connections/fuses etc, I connected it to my tractor battery, a beast of a thing, by way of the very best of jump leads as most any farmer must have.
Same result....any thoughts please, aside from test things when you get them stupid that is!
Thanks/Gill

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Do you have the remote control to switch it on or off or even the physical remote switch? If you do you've probably already tried them though ....

As you say, it's a shame you didn't test at the time, have you spoken/emailed Renogy ?? Perhaps they might part ex it as well? even if you had used it, surely it would be expected to last longer than 18 months.

OP
OP
G
Jun 18, 2024
Funster No
MH
Single Decker Bus
Thank you for your input.
I have the plug-in on/off remote that came with it & yes, I've tried it...switches the inverter on/off fine but that's no different than manually switching it on/off at the inverter itself of course. The issue isn't one of powering on the unit but one of intermittent AC at the sockets when I do.
A quick check on Trustpilot/Amazon etc seems to soon confirm that Renogy are the pits for customer care/relations, with endless folk having legitimate warranty issues & getting little/no redress. Apparently I can either chat with a robot or send an email to be ignored, so I can't imagine it worthy of the time/effort.
Thanks again tho'
Gill

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I do not know the product. But just a hypothesis. When you turn it on do you apply a load? Without a load is it possible it is going to sleep? does it have a sleep mode?
Also is the battery voltage stable. Could it be doing a low voltage shutdown then the battery voltage recovering and switching it back on?

Just a few ideas?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
These are the only options in the manual, but you've probably read those.

1718984596940.png

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
My 3000w renogy inverter cycled like this as the cables with inline fuse weren't beefy enough, it heated up sensed it and shut down, then cooled heated shutdown etc etc.

How much load are you drawing op

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
How chunky are the cables from battery to inverter? My 2000W from Sunshine Solar (UK support) supply double cables to spread the potential loads.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
My 3000w came with two cables but I replaced them with 50mm cable ...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back