Remove grey water tank and use portable? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
Motorhoming since 2011 - now returning after a long break!
I know, I know, there will be gasps of horror…. But our fresh and grey water tanks are only 65 litres and grey water needs emptying frequently if one is not on a campsite. They also both leak and need replacing.
So I am just wondering if anyone has, for example, doubled the size of fresh water tank and removed the grey water tank completely, using a portable one (as per caravans)?

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I would say no to the above. when you go to sell with no grey water tank .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I wouldn't, can you get another fresh water tank in to increase capacity. Grey is not so important as you do t need it to be as big as the fresh tank.

OP
OP
H
Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
I wouldn't, can you get another fresh water tank in to increase capacity. Grey is not so important as you do t need it to be as big as the fresh tank.
Cannot really see where to put an extra or a bigger fresh water tank. We use portable to replenish/empty frequently as we don’t want to keep moving the van to refill fresh water or empty grey water.
Fresh water runs out and Grey water gets full so quickly (if one is using shower, kitchen sink and hand basin) as they are both only 65 litres which is hopeless.
So we end up as if we are a caravan with no tanks!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Sponge bath cut down in showers etc, collapsible water containers, if you have a bigger fresh water you will have more grey to dispose of, is this mainly UK or EU use?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
It means you wouldn't be able to use the water every time you stopped. And a portable grey tank is less than half the size again, so you'd be making frequent trips. And you've still got to carry the grey tank.

My first van had no grey and it was a real faff. There was just enough space to squeeze an 80l with a CAK tank that had a cut out to span a frame rail.

What about fitting a tank where the spare wheel goes?

OP
OP
H
Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
It means you wouldn't be able to use the water every time you stopped. And a portable grey tank is less than half the size again, so you'd be making frequent trips. And you've still got to carry the grey tank.

My first van had no grey and it was a real faff. There was just enough space to squeeze an 80l with a CAK tank that had a cut out to span a frame rail.

What about fitting a tank where the spare wheel goes?
We are just mulling over the spare-wheel space….and wondering where to put the spare wheel!
We used to have a caravan and had to use portable Wheelie grey water tank, so quite used to that. Our current onboard tanks are tiny (65litres) so need filling/emptying far more frequently than in previous motorhome 😮‍💨

OP
OP
H
Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
Sponge bath cut down in showers etc, collapsible water containers, if you have a bigger fresh water you will have more grey to dispose of, is this mainly UK or EU use?
Both UK and EU. We have previously had two motorhomes with larger tanks, and a caravan with no tanks, so used to coping with portable grey water container.
Will be going to see CAK Tanks to see if they can come up with an idea.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
I know, I know, there will be gasps of horror…. But our fresh and grey water tanks are only 65 litres and grey water needs emptying frequently if one is not on a campsite. They also both leak and need replacing.
So I am just wondering if anyone has, for example, doubled the size of fresh water tank and removed the grey water tank completely, using a portable one (as per caravans)?
If the grey tank leaks isn't that a bonus?😄

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
We are just mulling over the spare-wheel space….and wondering where to put the spare wheel!
We used to have a caravan and had to use portable Wheelie grey water tank, so quite used to that. Our current onboard tanks are tiny (65litres) so need filling/emptying far more frequently than in previous motorhome 😮‍💨
Spare wheel is about the same size as a large grey waste container. 😋

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
If the grey tank leaks isn't that a bonus?😄
Hi.
Naughty thoughts me...... I did hear years ago about people who put a bucket under their waste outlet on the c/van...... It had holes drilled in the bottom.................
Tea Bag.
PS. Quick answer..... DRINK MORE ...

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Hi.
Naughty thoughts me...... I did hear years ago about people who put a bucket under their waste outlet on the c/van...... It had holes drilled in the bottom.................
Tea Bag.
PS. Quick answer..... DRINK MORE ...
That is disgusting.....,.drilled holes are so obvious, but if the bucket had a split in it you wouldn't realise would you😙

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Keep the small gray water tank, in fact it could be even smaller 30-40 liters should be enough.
But fit a button controlled by the driver that will electronically open the valve at suitable moments, such as whilst discreetly parked over a drain, or driving on a motorway in the rain.

OP
OP
H
Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
Keep the small gray water tank, in fact it could be even smaller 30-40 liters should be enough.
But fit a button controlled by the driver that will electronically open the valve at suitable moments, such as whilst discreetly parked over a drain, or driving on a motorway in the rain.
Interesting thought.
We are really more aware of the limitations of a tiny Grey Water tank when parked up for longer than 48 hours and would have to move the van (with all the tidying away that requires if you are parked up) just to empty the tank. Easier to use a wheelie container (as caravanners do), which in fact we did last week for both fresh water and grey waste (and of course the WC)

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Interesting thought.
We are really more aware of the limitations of a tiny Grey Water tank when parked up for longer than 48 hours and would have to move the van (with all the tidying away that requires if you are parked up) just to empty the tank. Easier to use a wheelie container (as caravanners do), which in fact we did last week for both fresh water and grey waste (and of course the WC)
I've seen plenty of motorhomes who leave the gray valve open and decant into a caravan wheely tank.

I like the idea of a leaky bucket, so it filters out the mucky stuff and just the water seeps into the ground,
but you would need to be very selective about where you used it, and for how long.

Turning the area just by your rear drive wheel into a swamp may not be in your best interests,
nor in the interests of the next occupant of your pitch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back